• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be a footnote in Panthers history. Kind of like Tim Biakabatuka.

I'd be shocked if we didn't acquire a CB before or very early in the season. Regardless of who we draft, no rookie could possibly make Rivera, McDermott, or Gettleman feel comfortable about 6 match ups involving Julio, Evans or Cooks. Something needs to be done.

Last edited:
We've already got Brandon Boykin. Chill the fuck out people !

Gett had all the leverage here. Norman tried to do what he could by refusing to sign the tender and being a distraction, but JNo knew that playing out a one year tender as a 29 year old CB was not good for his long term. JNo should have sucked it up and took the 12 mil per year and played for a winner. Instead, he will get 14 mil per year, get cut in two or so and never see the end of his deal and 'only' end up making about 4 mil total over the life of the contract to go play for some shitty organization.

Also, JNo is not well behaved at all when his team isn't winning. So all these losers looking at signing him should consider that.

Gett had all the leverage here. Norman tried to do what he could by refusing to sign the tender and being a distraction, but JNo knew that playing out a one year tender as a 29 year old CB was not good for his long term. JNo should have sucked it up and took the 12 mil per year and played for a winner. Instead, he will get 14 mil per year, get cut in two or so and never see the end of his deal and 'only' end up making about 4 mil total over the life of the contract to go play for some shitty organization.

Also, JNo is not well behaved at all when his team isn't winning. So all these losers looking at signing him should consider that.

I agree with most of this, but nobody's going to pay him $14 mil per year. He lost that battle. Maybe he can still get 12 on the open market.

I agree with most of this, but nobody's going to pay him $14 mil per year. He lost that battle. Maybe he can still get 12 on the open market.

Which would bring him right back into the fold....

Doubt that happens though. Someone will pay that number.

Fuck that man.....what an ego.

If you can't play for 1 year on the tag to benefit your team then you don't deserve to be here. Good riddance.

Hope he enjoys his $$$ playing for a loser.

And save the "more money to play with" crap...anyone worth anything has already been signed...unless this takes care of KK/Star

We were never getting more than 1 year out of Norman. If we were expecting to draft his replacement, it's really unlikely he would have dramatically improved from not ready to ready in one year. We either hit or we don't. This is a short term problem caused by a long term solution.

We also haven't really talked about how having a lockdown CB in a zone defense with a strong front seven isn't necessarily a priority either.

Obviously you always want the best players, but not if the price is too high. It can be spent elsewhere.

I'm not convinced that Norman will be universally good outside of our defense

+1. Just like a few other CBs who have left and gotten paid off our defense, I think it makes them 'better' than they are. He's talented yes, but 16 mil a year talented, no. I fully expect he'll get paid and disappear a bit on some non-playoff team.

I never got the impression RR liked dealing with Norman all that much. Chemistry and culture were the buzzwords last year, seems to be the philosophy going forward. It sucks now, but there should be enough talent on defense to absorb the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will be a footnote in Panthers history. Kind of like Tim Biakabatuka.

LOlz. What is it about teams with 'Carolina' in the name that engenders the "We don't need him, we didn't want him, we are better off without him" nonsense every time ya lose a good player.

2016/2017 Panthers Thread: Potential Hog Molly Talk

I don't think anyone would argue we're better off without him, but thanks for chiming in. I think most are in agreement that we wish Norman was still a panther, but not if he's going to hold out for a contract he'll never get from Gettleman.

I love Dave Gettleman and think he's done a great job, but I think this one was mishandled and he made the wrong decision. Why let a top five corner in the league walk when you had the franchise tag leverage? Norman wasn't going to sit the whole year holding out.

LOlz. What is it about teams with 'Carolina' in the name that engenders the "We don't need him, we didn't want him, we are better off without him" nonsense every time ya lose a good player.

It's always accurate

I love Dave Gettleman and think he's done a great job, but I think this one was mishandled and he made the wrong decision. Why let a top five corner in the league walk when you had the franchise tag leverage? Norman wasn't going to sit the whole year holding out.

Chancellor's holdout completely fucked Seattle's season. Gman saw that and was like "nah."

I wouldn't say making the divisional round was "completely fucked"

Playing the divisional and wild card round in Minnesota and Charlotte instead of on their home field was totally fucked for them.

I wouldn't say making the divisional round was "completely fucked"

They started 0-2 with him completely out of the lineup, and were 2-4 six games into the season as they worked him back in (and very well could have been 1-5 if the refs had made the correct call at the end of the Lions game). I'd say his hold-out was a huge reason for that slow start last year.

Those four losses are at Rams in OT, at Packers, at Bengals in OT, and the Panthers. Three of those games they very could have easily won. I'd say the schedule had more to do with the slow start.

Hold outs suck for all

We would be better with a happy and healthy Norman, not sure that we'd be better than a salty, grumpy Norman

Norman hired a new agent today. His old agent is still on as a co-rep but that may be because it takes 5 days for a new agent to become official. I wonder if he doesn't like the advice his old agent gave him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back