• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

If you don't score a goal in 340 straight minutes, I'm gonna say you deserve to be done

While confusingly written, I take your point (and that's the same joke I made above). The argument that Cheese was making, and I was supplementing, was that one of the two is more demanding on the body of the athlete. That came about when we were pointing to why T&F athletes -- even the most dominant ones like Bolt and Ababa -- don't come away from the Olympics with 4 or 5 or 6 medals each.

I love swimming, and I love watching elite swimming. But the truth is that it is a no-contact, primarily aerobic sport that doesn't kill your body. Swimmers can train at a higher intensity and for longer.

OK, swimming is easier on your knees and hips than sprinting. What about the shoulders and arms?

My muse handball! It goes all olympics long, so far good from bad teams have still yet to be determined.

Norway. Actually just got back from there. That's the #1 Olympic sport they show. I think they said 88% of the country watched them win in London.

Anyone else see the Russian men's diver (defending gold medalist) totally blow it and fail one of his dives? It was amazingly bad. I can't believe he's a former champion.

I mean, swimming is hard. Really hard. Like, it's one of the only sports that if you get really tired, you die.

But still, none of them are vomiting in the pool or pulling hamstrings or jumping into the crowd.

I assure you that plenty of vomiting occurs during practice into the gutters. not likely during competition so much. agree.

Man, I don't know how anyone could compare the swimmers to these track and field guys. These people are fucking done after their races, dying many deaths on the track. Is there a single athlete (other then multis/hep/dec) that are tripling events? It just doesn't happen.

the real reason i'm responding

phelps does not think much of your hot take

Screen-Shot-2016-08-12-at-4.46.46-PM-645x356.png

Anyone else see the Russian men's diver (defending gold medalist) totally blow it and fail one of his dives? It was amazingly bad. I can't believe he's a former champion.

Was the wind terrible again today? It was screwing with everyone in the prelims.

Back