• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

From Jeff Goodman:

Georgetown put out strong feelers to Xavier's Chris Mack at $4 million per year, source told ESPN. Mack staying... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0639547904662443374-4

3:35 PM - 31 Mar 2017

According to the G'town message board, they have also tried to talk to Manning's agent. Not clear if that has gotten anywhere.

Last edited:
I think Gtown is going to find it difficult to hire someone after JTIII with JT Jr. still having an office just down the hall. Really awkward, especially following the legacy of the legend at Georgetown.

We should tear up Danny's contract and pay him properly.

That would be awful if a team were to poach Manning from us now. For any fan that isn't fond of Manning, try imagining the list of potential replacements (not pretty).

You're right! We should let the guy who turned around the bball program from its lowest point in FIFTY YEARS.

Let's let someone else steal from us.

What a ridiculous position Sig and others are taking.

We should tear up Danny's contract and pay him properly.
We made the final 68 and lost. We were one of the worst defensive teams in college basketball. I'm fine if he stays because I've accepted that Wake loves mediocrity. An NCAA appearance every ten years gives Wellman the reason to build another building and the blue hairs can talk about the fabulous dinners in Dayton, Ohio for years on end. It is what it is. The blind optimists are just thrilled and another season of mediocrity is recorded.

Just the reality of Wake athletics. Thus, I'm sure Manning is paid commensurate with his coaching abilities. Ain't much changing except the weather.

The alternative to Manning is probably even worse. So, yes, let's just rejoice in this year's successes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Typical response.

As several people (including Wrangor and myself) have said, we didn't have the players to play good D. The staff had a choice of being mediocre on D and mediocre on offense. Or we could be superior on offense somehow and bad on D. They chose the latter.

We had a Top 10 offense with ZERO Top 75 players starting or getting major minutes. Think about that. We played in a great league, had theoretically inferior talent, played against some top defensive teams, yet we made Top 10 on offense. I cannot fathom why core, Sig, etc., doesn't consider this good coaching.

When we have players who can play D, we will play D. It wasn't possible this year. You can dream all you like. You can be delusional and say "defense is about effort".

You'd be dead wrong. Mitchell, Keyshawn and Austin play their asses off. They try hard and accept coaching extremely well. They just aren't good defenders. In a league that is full of NBA talent-level wings, having none to cover them dooms your defense and has a ripple effect. Add to this, John couldn't help them and stay on the court for his offense.

This is not about accepting mediocrity. It's about understanding the game of basketball and how hard it is to turn around a program.

We made the NCAA as an eleven seed. No major publication said we'd make any post-season play, but we made the NCAAT.

Typical response.

As several people (including Wrangor and myself) have said, we didn't have the players to play good D. The staff had a choice of being mediocre on D and mediocre on offense. Or we could be superior on offense somehow and bad on D. They chose the latter.

We had a Top 10 offense with ZERO Top 75 players starting or getting major minutes. Think about that. We played in a great league, had theoretically inferior talent, played against some top defensive teams, yet we made Top 10 on offense. I cannot fathom why core, Sig, etc., doesn't consider this good coaching.

When we have players who can play D, we will play D. It wasn't possible this year. You can dream all you like. You can be delusional and say "defense is about effort".

You'd be dead wrong. Mitchell, Keyshawn and Austin play their asses off. They try hard and accept coaching extremely well. They just aren't good defenders. In a league that is full of NBA talent-level wings, having none to cover them dooms your defense and has a ripple effect. Add to this, John couldn't help them and stay on the court for his offense.

This is not about accepting mediocrity. It's about understanding the game of basketball and how hard it is to turn around a program.

We made the NCAA as an eleven seed. No major publication said we'd make any post-season play, but we made the NCAAT.
"Typical response"? Lol. Okay. I hope the sky is gorgeous in your world. I'm fine with Manning. Someone needs to turn the lights on and off. Might as well be him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Your posts show you't like or respect him.

It's not about the sky being gorgeous. it's about understanding how quickly we've come from the worst position Wake basketball has been in since the 1960s to being a #11 seed in the NCAAT.

I know the most recent generation of Deacs expect everything to happen overnight and they are owed it. That's not how it works in the real world. You don't go from a totally nuked program to stardom. There are steps you have to take.

To get this far, this quickly is pretty remarkable, but we're not done. We have to take the next step.

You're right! We should let the guy who turned around the bball program from its lowest point in FIFTY YEARS.

Let's let someone else steal from us.

What a ridiculous position Sig and others are taking.

SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP.

I know you love to create a position out of whole cloth and then act like it is the only possible correct answer to a question, but get real. We agreed to pay Coach Manning $1.3M per year. That was 37th among NCAA tourney coaches. He had the ~30th best team. The delta between those salaries is less than $300K.

Giving him a contract extension now would be like giving Gaudio a contract extension in '09.

If he proves it again next year, its time to ink him to an extension. If he misses the tourney next year, its not.

Would give us another shot at Wes Miller!

But seriously though if we list Manning I bet we could get Kelsey and he's awesome

Since you want say such things. I'll respond in kind.

Your gibberish that "act like it is the only possible correct answer to a question" is a lazy, BS mantra for fools on the board. I'm the only person on the board held to that criteria. Anyone who says says the same thing doesn't hear such a response.

But because lazy ass people like you and others have convinced yourself this is so, you continue with the myth and are supported regardless of its accuracy.

Would give us another shot at Wes Miller!

But seriously though if we list Manning I bet we could get Kelsey and he's awesome

This is true. let's keep paying Danny only slightly more than Dayton and Rhode Island who are in conferences with dramatically less revenues.

Since you want say such things. I'll respond in kind.

Your gibberish that "act like it is the only possible correct answer to a question" is a lazy, BS mantra for fools on the board. I'm the only person on the board held to that criteria. Anyone who says says the same thing doesn't hear such a response.

But because lazy ass people like you and others have convinced yourself this is so, you continue with the myth and are supported regardless of its accuracy.

Pretty much none of this post has any basis in fact. I spend half of my time on the politics board calling out shit from people who make posts with the same premise as the 'WE MUST PAY DANNY NOW!" nonsense from earlier tonight.

RJ just want another buzz hire that he can defend for way too long

Keep on proposing that myth. I set very direct criteria. The instant they weren't met I did what I said I would do.

I fully understand many people don't understand that we weren't going to fire He Who Shall Not Be Named in less than three years. In addition not wanting to pay three coaches at once, those who repeat this nonsense don't get the fact that top coaches have options. What would make most top coaching prospects wince is to be the third HC in five years in a major conference.

Acting this way would easily to lead to a bad hire for way too much money just to get someone.

I also fully understand that thinking this logically and reasonably is beyond the pitchfork crew who want what they want right now no matter what the repercussions.

But keep talking about this if you think it you look smart or cognizant of how things work.

Back