• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

Word is that G'town offered (or was ready to offer) Brey, and he declined. Also, there are reports that Ed Cooley took his name out of consideration for the G'town job.

unless they doubled his salary, why would Brey ever consider moving from ND to G'town?

Surprised they haven't offered Ammaker yet.

At very best, it's a lateral move and that would be a stretch.

Keith Dambrot heading from Akron to Duquesne

Not sure if I'm happier about leaving Akron or sadder about going to Pittsburg.

He is sorta following his father's footsteps, at some remove. His father played at Dusquesne. Doesn't seem like a very big step up from Akron, particularly considering some of the schools he has turned down over the last decade or so.

Word is that G'town offered (or was ready to offer) Brey, and he declined. Also, there are reports that Ed Cooley took his name out of consideration for the G'town job.

Why would Brey leave ND for Georgetown? C'mon, people.

unless they doubled his salary, why would Brey ever consider moving from ND to G'town?

Surprised they haven't offered Ammaker yet.

Bethesda, MD native.

At very best, it's a lateral move and that would be a stretch.

Georgetown will not be a comfortable or happy seat for whomever takes the job. He will be the first (probably) not from the John Thompson, Jr coaching tree. And Big John is still a significant presence at Georgetown. 45 years coaching Georgetown combined between Big John, his top assistant (Craig Escherick) and John III. He can't be happy his son was fired. Everything the new coach does will be under a microscope. The only way it might not be totally bad is if a former player, like Patrick Ewing would take the job. But even then, it still won't be the best situation.

Good luck to the guy who takes the job. Big East title or get fired.

Have no problem with G'town checking in with Brey (as stated above, he is a DC native) to see his level of interest. Of course, Brey leaving ND was unlikely, but you never know if you fail to pose the question.

Have no problem with G'town checking in with Brey (as stated above, he is a DC native) to see his level of interest. Of course, Brey leaving ND was unlikely, but you never know if you fail to pose the question.

That's true. Give the man a chance to say "yes," even if you expect him to say no. Every once in a while the surprise "yes" happens.

Feels like Gtown isn't going to be able to get a "name" guy with all the Thompson family drama. Ewing or a mid-major up-and-comer.

Feels like Gtown isn't going to be able to get a "name" guy with all the Thompson family drama. Ewing or a mid-major up-and-comer.

Apparently, Danny Hurley (URI) is in the mix as is Ewing.

One interesting twist is that former Hoya basketball player Jaren Jackson's son Jaren Jackson jr. is a HS all-American (top 25 recruit class of 2017) signed with Michigan State in December (he was offered by Michigan, Indiana, Maryland and Notre Dame among others). The dad is a coach in Canada. Rumors are that a number of potential candidates are floating the idea of bringing the dad as an assistant with the son tagging along (it's assumed that Izzo would release Jackson from his LOI to play for his dad).

Apparently, Danny Hurley (URI) is in the mix as is Ewing.

One interesting twist is that former Hoya basketball player Jaren Jackson's son Jaren Jackson jr. is a HS all-American (top 25 recruit class of 2017) signed with Michigan State in December (he was offered by Michigan, Indiana, Maryland and Notre Dame among others). The dad is a coach in Canada. Rumors are that a number of potential candidates are floating the idea of bringing the dad as an assistant with the son tagging along (it's assumed that Izzo would release Jackson from his LOI to play for his dad).

That brings up an interesting question: If I'm Tom Izzo, do I actually release the kid? There probably isn't a top 25 kid available to replace him on my 2017 - 2018 roster.

I see that under NCAA rules he doesn't become a transfer until he has actually gone to class or played or practiced at Mich St. Good to see that the LOI doesn't bind a kid to a school as tightly as it used to. A kid whose prospective coach is fired can at least request a release and not have to sit out a year if he gets it and goes elsewhere.

Chattanooga fell off pretty big style down the stretch this year. McCall just kept going what Wade had built, though he did get them over the hump and into the NCAAT (where they got destroyed by Indiana).

Not a guy I'd target

Grant played at Dayton, and coached VCU when they upset Duke in the NCAAs in 2007. Makes sense.

Grant played at Dayton, and coached VCU when they upset Duke in the NCAAs in 2007. Makes sense.

I was in Dayton yesterday. Bigger campus and city than I was expecting although a little isolated.
However, Cincy is about 45 minutes south and is a pretty good place

That brings up an interesting question: If I'm Tom Izzo, do I actually release the kid? There probably isn't a top 25 kid available to replace him on my 2017 - 2018 roster.

I see that under NCAA rules he doesn't become a transfer until he has actually gone to class or played or practiced at Mich St. Good to see that the LOI doesn't bind a kid to a school as tightly as it used to. A kid whose prospective coach is fired can at least request a release and not have to sit out a year if he gets it and goes elsewhere.

Yes you do, because its the right thing to do. Tom Izzo has better things to do than hold some kid hostage that doesn't want to play for him.

McGrath played at Kansas just after Manning.

Back