• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

LOL! I was at the game and can't lie that it was the worst i think i've ever felt after a win. Looking back I'd gladly donated that win to my Deacs.

It’s so weird. Wonder if there is something there? LSU should have never fired him. Especially for Ogeron. They goofed.

does Tennessee have a natural grass field? that's gotta be a huge sticking point for him. hard to munch on Field Turf.

To me, Les would be a slam dunk and you wouldn't even have to pay that much to get him as LSU paid him 11+ mil in the buyout.

A 64 year-old for a rebuild? Eh. Might be their best option at this point, though.

ESPN football analyst and former Jets Coach Herm Edwards is negotiating with Arizona State to be their next coach: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21615279/herm-edwards-line-replace-todd-graham-arizona-state-sun-devils-next-coach

Interesting link to WF, there was a time when Wellman had targeted Edwards for the WF job (think this was after Dooley "retired"), and Edwards was interested, but WF discovered that Edwards did not have his college degree, which was a non-starter for WF. Not sure if Edwards has his degree now or not (wiki indicates that he does).

Definitely an "out of the box" hire. Edwards has had no link to college football for more than 30 years. He is going to have to lean on his assistants at the start.

Last edited:
My daughter went to LSU as an undergrad, lives in NOLA so I am an LSU fan as my #2 team. It was time for Les to go for a number of reasons. Whole drama complicated by an incompetent AD. Les could be a good coach somewhere but at LSU he was losing ground to football as played in the SEC West and was intransigent when it came to making adjustments. We have seen some of that ourselves at Wake. Sometimes coaches just run out of energy where they are and the relationship grows old and stale- reference Mark Richt. His divorce from UGA worked for both sides.

Herm Edwards: Grab a beer and watch the train wreck. Tennessee approves this message.

If we had done this when Wellman tried to hire [Redacted], maybe the Wake basketball program would still be relevant
lol. You see the dumpster fire roaring in Knoxville and think "I wish Wake had that." Wow.

Tennessee is going to end up hiring Tee Martin, a first time coach, for 3 million a year

ESPN football analyst and former Jets Coach Herm Edwards is negotiating with Arizona State to be their next coach: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21615279/herm-edwards-line-replace-todd-graham-arizona-state-sun-devils-next-coach

Interesting link to WF, there was a time when Wellman had targeted Edwards for the WF job (think this was after Dooley "retired"), and Edwards was interested, but WF discovered that Edwards did not have his college degree, which was a non-starter for WF. Not sure if Edwards has his degree now or not (wiki indicates that he does).

Definitely an "out of the box" hire. Edwards has had no link to college football for more than 30 years. He is going to have to lean on his assistants at the start.

I think you have to have a college degree to coach in the NCAA now. I am pretty sure that is the case for college basketball because of the Steve Masiello deal a few years back at Manhattan.

My daughter went to LSU as an undergrad, lives in NOLA so I am an LSU fan as my #2 team. It was time for Les to go for a number of reasons. Whole drama complicated by an incompetent AD. Les could be a good coach somewhere but at LSU he was losing ground to football as played in the SEC West and was intransigent when it came to making adjustments. We have seen some of that ourselves at Wake. Sometimes coaches just run out of energy where they are and the relationship grows old and stale- reference Mark Richt. His divorce from UGA worked for both sides.

Oh, so you mean he wasn’t Nick Saban? Got it. Because that’s what it means to not be competitive in the SEC West.

I think you have to have a college degree to coach in the NCAA now. I am pretty sure that is the case for college basketball because of the Steve Masiello deal a few years back at Manhattan.

#RSFweeps

Right, but my point is that lack of fan support is partly the responsibility of the AD. Especially if it’s the reason your financial situation is untenable.

As dumb as everyone thinks Yow is, how would she have suddenly gotten better at improving fan support once she got to NCSU? Attendance is up in every single sport since she arrived.

All of this. I grew up in BR and it was time for Les to go. He had a good run but it was time. Now, hiring Coach O was not the answer, but Jimbo kept opening his legs and then closing them at the last second.

As dumb as everyone thinks Yow is, how would she have suddenly gotten better at improving fan support once she got to NCSU? Attendance is up in every single sport since she arrived.

Does that mean she didn’t do poorly at Maryland? Those aren’t mutually exclusive. Maybe she learned some lessons. Maybe she wasn’t as invested at Maryland. At the end of the day, she didn’t do a very good job there on some really important aspects of that department.

Last night's Jimbo Fisher call-in show had scripted questions about next year's uniform rules and players in the NFL until this Brave soul showed up and now is a legend in Tallahassee.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/29/16717934/fsu-fan-kicked-out-of-jimbo-fisher-call-in-show

Love it.

Also I love that the FSU administration basically told Jimbo that they were done with him testing the waters everywhere and that he isn't welcome back. They will be fine and given the complacency Jimbo seems to have had the last two years, be better off. Not good for the rest of the ACC.

Love it.

Also I love that the FSU administration basically told Jimbo that they were done with him testing the waters everywhere and that he isn't welcome back. They will be fine and given the complacency Jimbo seems to have had the last two years, be better off. Not good for the rest of the ACC.

So what's the holdup?

Tennessee pay site/the twitterverse reporting the deal with Doeren is done. Not sure if this is good or bad for Wake - one one hand, State has some solid momentum this year and this could torpedo that (not to mention Yow will probably botch the next search) - on the other, I think Doeren is really mediocre and is not the guy to make State a force in the Atlantic.

Back