• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

NCSU coaching searches are usually high comedy, but UT has set an unreachable bar this go around.

One good thing, you'd have to imagine this makes it much more likely Finley, Hines, etc go pro.

One good thing, you'd have to imagine this makes it much more likely Finley, Hines, etc go pro.

Where is Finley going pro? At Enterprise?

ETA: I joke, and know he's been talked about as a solid draft prospect. But after watching 4-5 games, I didn't see it.

JP Peterson:

Just spoke with a well connected booster and someone inside the FSU athletic department. Jimbo is gone, expect an announcement today. He will not coach the final game. FSU has not recruited in a month. Class is falling apart. Totally unprofessional but not surprising

Where is Finley going pro? At Enterprise?

ETA: I joke, and know he's been talked about as a solid draft prospect. But after watching 4-5 games, I didn't see it.

Agree. He's had some good games but it's all due to WR and OL talent around him IMO.

Sounds like Doeren is gone but who knows, the Tenn guys have got a ton wrong so far.

If he is gone NCSU board supposedly looks like/includes:

Chad Morris
Charlie Strong
Venables
Des Kitchings (currently on the staff)
Mike Houston

So we will see how that all plans out. Would love to end up with Charlie if we do need a new coach.

All of sudden, two schools in WF's division are looking for coaches?

If true, in the short term, perhaps WF can swoop in on some recruits that are committed elsewhere. In the longer term, this should weaken both State and FSU next year as often (but not always) a program takes a step back in the first year when a school changes coaches as players often leave, and there is a learning curve with a new system. Next year could be a special one for WF. In the much longer term, a bad hire could help WF for years to come.

Last edited:
Agree. He's had some good games but it's all due to WR and OL talent around him IMO.

Sounds like Doeren is gone but who knows, the Tenn guys have got a ton wrong so far.

Chad Morris
Charlie Strong
Venables
Mike Houston

So we will see how that all plans out. Would love to end up with Charlie if we do need a new coach.

tau, if DD is gone, what is the thinking among Pack fans about Yow's willingness to open up the checkbook more for a new coach?

If true, in the short term, perhaps WF can swoop in on some recruits that are committed elsewhere. In the longer term, this should weaken both State and FSU next year as often (but not always) a program takes a step back in the first year when a school changes coaches as players often leave, and there is a learning curve with a new system. Next year could be a special one for WF. In the much longer term, a bad hire could help WF for years to come.

Yep. Particularly good timing given we play State and FSU on the road next year.

And now it sounds like he's staying.....

This has been fun:squint:

tau, if DD is gone, what is the thinking among Pack fans about Yow's willingness to open up the checkbook more for a new coach?

Think it depends on the coach. I think Yow is willing to spend, but only if the coach deserves it. Think her whole thing in this scenario has been "what have you done to deserve me paying you Tenn money? go 8-4?" Which i respect and don't mind. Better that then screwing us for 10 years by giving him the bank.

If we end up having to get a new coach she will pay what the market dictates for whoever she feels will do the best job given her resources. Don't think she would give an up and comer or a coordinator/first time coach 4mil or anything crazy like that.

And we get Clemson at home. I'm getting way too excited for next year given how excited I am to be going bowling this year.

Also, State losing Dorean and Tennessee gaining Dorean epitomizes both of those programs. :rofl:

Chad Morris
Charlie Strong
Venables
Mike Houston

If this was the list for an open job, and you tacked DD to the end of it, I would feel really good if State made the decision to hire DD.

Sounds like Jimbo stopped recruiting about a month ago, so his move could mess FSU up for this cycle.

Tennessee will end up hiring Tee Martin to try and save some face with their fan base (who inexplicably is fired up about either getting Martin or Kiffin). It's objectively a worse hire than anyone else Tennessee has already struck out with IMO, but hey at least it's something. The media will excoriate the Tennessee fan base for having unrealistic expectations and generally being dumb - and rightfully so - but the fan base will turn around and say "hey we got who we wanted! We're back baby." *Narrator's voice* they're not back and yeah Tennessee's fan base is dumb as a box of rocks.

They should just do a fan contest, and let their version of Ph coach for one year.

Tennessee will end up hiring Tee Martin to try and save some face with their fan base (who inexplicably is fired up about either getting Martin or Kiffin). It's objectively a worse hire than anyone else Tennessee has already struck out with IMO, but hey at least it's something. The media will excoriate the Tennessee fan base for having unrealistic expectations and generally being dumb - and rightfully so - but the fan base will turn around and say "hey we got who we wanted! We're back baby." *Narrator's voice* they're not back and yeah Tennessee's fan base is dumb as a box of rocks.

Tennessee fans wanting Kiffin is sarcasm, right?

Doeren is staying at State per Twitter, actually The News and Observer.

Last edited:
Back