• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel - Tennessee Train Wreck

Don’t even think about coaching salaries, how much is LSU paying Miles to NOT coach? Divide that by 85 scholarship players.

Do you not feel it’s ludicrous that Jimbo Fisher is going to make $20K a DAY for the next like 3,500 days when the guys ripping their ACLs and scrambling their brains for him don’t get a cent? You can make the scholarship argument all you want, but let’s not pretend Jimbo isn’t getting a car and countless other benefits including tuition concessions for his kids.

Agreed on the double standard for coaches being able to leave at a drop of the hat and get PAID vs players who have complicated transfer rules.

I'm not against paid in theory - student-athletes LOL - but how do you do it? How is market value determined for individual players? Do they all get agents? How many players are actually worth paying on each team? If you pay, do they really have any academic requirements still? Or it's like a minor league that just represents the school name, not actively enrolled on campus. Which sports are getting paid? All the non-revenue men's and women's sports too? How would that work with Title IX?

Currently, P5 conferences bring in between ~20-40 million/yr for each school through media rights, bowl games, etc. That's just conference deals, I don't know about the individual schools like Texas that have their own networks, their whole sports program grosses $100M+.

Let's not get too silly and pretend players aren't paid. They are, just under the table. If they are good enough. Louisville recruit got 100K from Adidas. Granted, that wasn't directly from schools, but the top dudes are getting paid before they even step on campus. Or hookers, thanks Uncle Rick.

There is 0 incentive for coaches, schools, NCAA, big media companies, politicians to change anything. Lots of power involved there.

The day college players "get paid" is the day college football dies. Just like the video game. Reputable institutions won't permit a professional league at their school. Has nothing to do with "fairness" or whatever lame social agenda is behind it. Give it up. It will never, NEVER be. And never should be for any conceivable reason.

The day college players "get paid" is the day college football dies. Just like the video game. Reputable institutions won't permit a professional league at their school. Has nothing to do with "fairness" or whatever lame social agenda is behind it. Give it up. It will never, NEVER be. And never should be for any conceivable reason.

Why is it immoral for adults to get paid? WF students can get jobs, as many have, on or off campus and make money. Why is that wrong?

lol

Tell me why you really want college football players paid. Stop disguising your agenda.

What I don't like currently is the extreme hypocrisy of the NCAA, coaches, schools about how they speak about amateur athletics, while they actively work behind the scenes to cheat. See: UNC, Louisville, Adidas.

If you see my post above, I named all the issues with making it happen above board. It will almost certainly never happen.

Do you think players don't get paid now? We know for a fact that's not the case, we just don't know the full extent of it.

Also, college sports is big business. That is just a fact. $100s of millions of dollars. Some may not like that, but it's the case. At the high levels, it already is pro sports.

Tell me why you really want college football players paid. Stop disguising your agenda.

Because people should get paid for the work they do.

It's always going to be more profitable to not pay workers. That doesn't make it acceptable.

Because I believe adults should be compensated for their labor that makes money for other people? Why do you not want them to be paid?

Could a coach take a percentage of his salary and give it to the graduating players after graduation? I’m just curious. That would be refreshing

Do you not feel it’s ludicrous that Jimbo Fisher is going to make $20K a DAY for the next like 3,500 days when the guys ripping their ACLs and scrambling their brains for him don’t get a cent? You can make the scholarship argument all you want, but let’s not pretend Jimbo isn’t getting a car and countless other benefits including tuition concessions for his kids.

Country club, life insurance policy, etc.

Agreed on the double standard for coaches being able to leave at a drop of the hat and get PAID vs players who have complicated transfer rules.

I'm not against paid in theory - student-athletes LOL - but how do you do it? How is market value determined for individual players? Do they all get agents? How many players are actually worth paying on each team? If you pay, do they really have any academic requirements still? Or it's like a minor league that just represents the school name, not actively enrolled on campus. Which sports are getting paid? All the non-revenue men's and women's sports too? How would that work with Title IX?

Currently, P5 conferences bring in between ~20-40 million/yr for each school through media rights, bowl games, etc. That's just conference deals, I don't know about the individual schools like Texas that have their own networks, their whole sports program grosses $100M+.
That's a pretty good synopsis of main problems with a change to 'paying' the athletes.

Good start --- now "how do you do it"?

raldeac and others, there are plenty of students who get paid for work that benefits the university. There is no reason to create another marketplace when one already exists. Just tie student-athlete salary to graduate assistant stipends. Pay them through apparel contracts.

If the same players were playing in a professional league other than the NFL, say a developmental league or minor league, how much money do you think they would be paid? IMO the audience television or live is drawn to the games because of the schools not the players. Personally, I think the level of play in college basketball is much worse than it was when players stayed for four years but the money generated has increased dramatically.

I don't like the fact that players are prevented from playing for the NFL or NBA if they are ready but that's not the NCAA's doing.

If the same players were playing in a professional league other than the NFL, say a developmental league or minor league, how much money do you think they would be paid? IMO the audience television or live is drawn to the games because of the schools not the players. Personally, I think the level of play in college basketball is much worse than it was when players stayed for four years but the money generated has increased dramatically.

I don't like the fact that players are prevented from playing for the NFL or NBA if they are ready but that's not the NCAA's doing.

I agree with this. If the players want to play for money, let them go to the professional leagues and try to make money.

I agree with this. If the coaches want to coach for money, let them go to the professional leagues and try to make money.

Why isn't the above also the case?

At the very least, we could all agree that players should be allowed to make money off of their own likeness, right? That’s some bullshit.

Back