• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Claude and Washington are officially on notice

I don't expect much from Waydale and Sage for awhile for the same reasons I didn't expect much from Washington. A kid that size who could contribute after a year or two would be rated higher.

247 insider Barton Simmons also raved about him at the AL-MS All-Star game practices FWIW

Way to go Claw! I love that we are going after tall (6') CBs.

Claude and Washington are officially on notice

Probably not really. The guys being recruited now most likely won't see the field at all until the fall of 2019 and won't be counted on for much until a year or two after that, so they really are the guys to follow Claude and Washington, not really compete with them now.

Clapp is a legit 6'6" but is heavier than 250...I would put him closer to 270...I saw him in person several times this season and I believe he could be special...

Rumor is he's also a good 3-point stance guy.

I honestly think that Waydale Jones is the second most important commit in the class (behind Mike Allen, no offense to Monroe, Burley, Simon etc). I’m that much of a believer, and finding playmakers for the passing game is so, so important. I really like what you see in his highlights – and yes, I understand that it needs to be discounted because of smaller high school classification – but I think he shows some speed, very good ball skills, and a good vertical. He makes all types of plays. Some catch and run. Some over-the-top. He looks fluid and naturally athletic. Regardless of the classification, 1979 yards and 30 TD’s is a monster season.

The athleticism that you see on tape was also backed up by, not one, but two solid Nike Combines last spring. Not blow-the-doors-off type performances, but very good ones, and certainly enough to demonstrate that he’s more than just a product of small school ball.

Wake may have caught a break that UNC landed their #1 January WR target (Beau Corrales). That avoided having to go head-to-head with the Heels for Waydale. But this was someone that I think Vanderbilt wanted badly. Terrific job by the staff to get Waydale’s first visit and come away with the commitment.

Add in the fact that he has a 3.99 GPA. Seems perfect for Wake.

I compare this commitment to landing Arkeem Byrd at the end of last cycle. We need playmakers, and to find them at the end of the cycle is kind of remarkable.

To land the receivers we have landed means that the staff was able to convince them that we will have QBs that can deliver the ball.

Encouraging.

94, what do you think of Jaquarii Roberson and Sage Surrat? They're all tall and athletic receivers, will they be competing for different positions? When do you think they could see playing time? Roberson seems like a playmaker and at 6'3 you'd think he may be competing for time with Waydale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94, what do you think of Jaquarii Roberson and Sage Surrat? They're all tall and athletic receivers, will they be competing for different positions? When do you think they could see playing time? Roberson seems like a playmaker and at 6'3 you'd think he may be competing for time with Waydale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with all three. I'm glad we are stocking up on outside WRs after so much focus on the slot-types. All 3 will compete for the 2 outside receiver positions. Waydale looks like a lock for the "X" / boundary position. Where the other two fit probably depends on their measurables.

There are actually a lot of similarities between Roberson and Surratt. Both are pure outside receivers. Both abused some inferior 2A talent in North Carolina. Both look like basketball players on the field – in a good way – they compete for the football instead of waiting for it to float into their hands. Both look like natural pass catchers, especially Surratt. Surratt in particular has some clips where he makes really nice adjustments to the football that lead you to believe that he will be able to make some tough catches down the road. Roberson shows some of the same. Both have been described as being intelligent, high character kids, and Surratt, the more hyped of the two, sounds like he might be off the charts in that department. Neither one looks to have either 40-type speed nor short-area quickness. In my opinion, both lack the “sizzle” of Waydale’s highlights or the other guy that was on the board late in the cycle – Davontavean Martin (aka Mr. Untouchable). Both have often beaten opposing corners by using a huge physical advantage that they won’t have in college. They were just bigger and, especially in Surratt’s case, stronger than those 2A opponents. So now the question is how will they win matchups against athletic, 6’1 corners? I think the answer is that they will have to develop in college. Build their speed and explosiveness through strength and conditioning. Become precise route-runners. Since both have focused on basketball and come from smaller schools, it is reasonable to expect that neither has approached their ceiling. I think it is critical that Surratt focuses solely on football in college.

I really feel better about recruits when I know their combine results and I don’t have those for either Roberson or Surratt. So the uncertainty makes me cautious. If I knew that either one was a legit 6’4 I would be less anxious (I think Surratt is really 6’2). If I knew that the 40 times and shuttle times were solid, I’d be less anxious. If either had more P5 interest at the time of their commitment I’d be less anxious. So there’s some mystery and/or question marks about both, but perhaps that worked in Wake’s favor by keeping some of the bigger offers away.

One thing that I’m concerned about is how all three of these receivers (I’m including Waydale now) will transition to the college game early in their careers. Because the step-up in competition will be so great, I think they could struggle some in their first year on the field. This worries me because many of our fans seem ready to judge and write off players that struggle in their first year. So that’s a bit of a concern. IMO fans need to have a little patience sometimes with the WRs.

New DB offer to Zyon Gilbert likely means Layne isn't coming. I like it though. Offers from Illinois, South Carolina, and Cincinnati. Pretty much a like-for-like replacement to be honest.

I'm not going to go as far as saying that Gilbert = Layne. Layne is obviously drawing a lot of P5 attention at the moment. But I am excited about Gilbert and completely think he is worth a scholarship. He's a legit 6'0. Combine was less than ideal, but fine. Good enough that I think he can stick at corner. His South Carolina offer was based on a camp performance, not just his tape. I like that. First-team all-state in Alabama for Class 7A (the largest classification). 5 INTs last season plus 55 tackles, including 4 for loss. I read that teams didn't throw his way very much. Also scored 4 times as a receiver. But a lot of my reason for being excited was his performance at the Alabama-Mississippi all-star game. Not just the game but the practice week. He got some really good reviews. At least one writer was up in arms about why he didn't have a more stacked offer sheet. I'm actually concerned that Wake's offer might draw enough attention to Gilbert that he might draw more offers late (which I'm now referring to as "getting Shenkered"). I'm really hoping to land him if we don't get Layne (and it's looking like Layne is headed to Indiana).

ETA: Gilbert is a late target for Lane Kiffen.

Last edited:
94, I don't think anybody has written off Washington. We wonder why he gets reps and attempts over Lewis or why Wade isn't moved to the outside. I feel like the coaches set him up to fail by playing him a lot before he's obviously ready.

Back