• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Can someone screen cap that for me and forward? I'm blocked. What's the context?

His twitter account is now private. Unless someone is willing to request to follow him (not me, I don't want that insanity on my timeline) then we can't screenshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys lets get back to discussing recruiting. I have never been able to figure out what motivates an 18 or 19 year old to pick a school. I am either further in the dark about athletes. Seems to me you pick the school where you like the coaches and the kids and the campus. Usually, that doesn't change, but kids flip all the time and there is no way to figure out why. We just have to trust DC and the staff to do the best job they can, I think overall they have done a nice job and just hope whoever comprises the class this year does us proud on and off the field. Go Deacs

Guys lets get back to discussing recruiting. I have never been able to figure out what motivates an 18 or 19 year old to pick a school. I am either further in the dark about athletes. Seems to me you pick the school where you like the coaches and the kids and the campus. Usually, that doesn't change, but kids flip all the time and there is no way to figure out why. We just have to trust DC and the staff to do the best job they can, I think overall they have done a nice job and just hope whoever comprises the class this year does us proud on and off the field. Go Deacs

There are SO MANY things that drive young athletes to choose a school, and it differs from recruit to recruit. Some like coaches as the main aspect of schools, some facilities, some location, some prowess, some current players/other commits, some brand name, etc. it's hard to peg each recruits priorities even after they give interviews.

I will say that anyone who advertises their political party, whether republican or democrat, in their Twitter bio in all caps like REPUBLICAN or DEMOCRAT probably isn't a very pleasant person to interact with.

Agreed.

And each kid is different. My guess would be a great many recruits change priorities in the process as well. Must be hard to have your job hinge on 17 -18 year old kids struggling with major life decisions under public scrutiny/adoration/condemnation.

Last edited:
His twitter account is now private. Unless someone is willing to request to follow him (not me, I don't want that insanity on my timeline) then we can't screenshot.

It appeared to just be bodies laying on the ground and bloody. Would not read again.

Soooo excited that Wake has offered Spencer Clapp....He may be a better DE than OL. Has great feet and very quick...A frame that will allow him to add some quality weight...Excellent motor...

Soooo excited that Wake has offered Spencer Clapp....He may be a better DE than OL. Has great feet and very quick...A frame that will allow him to add some quality weight...Excellent motor...

Thanks for the interesting comment. And for talking about FB recruiting.

And the next year when we can't get all our top targets, do we continue to hold scholarships? And the year after that? If you take that approach then you're actually just imposing a smaller roster "sanction" on yourself. I know it sucks to lose top guys but it's not like this issue will just go away. Wake will always be a P5 lesser program and will have to go downward to find last minute replacements. (Unless of course we elevate our stature in college football, something the AD and Admin have seemed to shy away from at every turn.)

I say we hold them till next year so that we balance out the scholarship count for different years. Clawson himself has said that he would like to do this. Otherwise we end up with less than 15 scholarships for next year. I'm well aware that we will miss on some top targets in future classes, but if we don't balance them out number wise, we end up with a tiny senior class 4 years from now, which is not ideal.

Yes and hardly competitive in SEC.

But they did play in 2 consecutive SEC title games. Your point? Teams rebuild, just like we are doing now. We were not competitive in the ACC for at least 7 years till this season.

People change their minds and go where they think is best for them. They are 18 years old. We have at least 3 good QB's on hand. No biggy.

Any prospect of an unused scholarship this cycle going to a grad transfer who would use it in 2017, and then have an incoming frosh use it starting with the 2018 season? Any possibility that Sawvel might have one of his guys on D at Minnesota tag along with him for a final year?

Any prospect of an unused scholarship this cycle going to a grad transfer who would use it in 2017, and then have an incoming frosh use it starting with the 2018 season? Any possibility that Sawvel might have one of his guys on D at Minnesota tag along with him for a final year?

Definitely an intriguing option.

Clawson has talked about carrying over scholarships to the 2018 class. He didn't explicitly say that those scholarships would be used for post-grads that could help in 2017, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Have to put those scholarships to use.

I am very much in favor of this approach. While the ultimate size of the 2018 class depends on attrition etc, unless there is a really large spike in attrition that class will be Clawson's smallest. Maybe by a significant margin.

The new coaches, including Sawvel, seem like they will be good recruiters. It would be nice if they had some scholarships to work with.

The flexibility to add post-grads just adds to the argument.

Lane Kiffin just pulled a recruit's shcolarship w/o telling the kid. Class act

I think 95% of recruits follow a hierarchy that is a combination of historical winning percentage and size of fanbase. It's that simple.

It's the other 5% that are fascinating. Some may be looking for the best academic school they can find. Some just want to stay close to home. Some develop particularly strong relationships with a coach or staff.

Clawson has talked about carrying over scholarships to the 2018 class. He didn't explicitly say that those scholarships would be used for post-grads that could help in 2017, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Have to put those scholarships to use.

I am very much in favor of this approach. While the ultimate size of the 2018 class depends on attrition etc, unless there is a really large spike in attrition that class will be Clawson's smallest. Maybe by a significant margin.

The new coaches, including Sawvel, seem like they will be good recruiters. It would be nice if they had some scholarships to work with.

The flexibility to add post-grads just adds to the argument.

Any walk-ons who may get a scholarship? The long snapper who started the end of the season?

Lane Kiffin just pulled a recruit's shcolarship w/o telling the kid. Class act

That's what he does when he takes over a program. He did it to Bryce Petty at Tennessee which led to Petty coming to Baylor. At least he told Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't be offered a scholarship. I guess Justin Worley and Nathan Peterman were better.

That's what he does when he takes over a program. He did it to Bryce Petty at Tennessee which led to Petty coming to Baylor. At least he told Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't be offered a scholarship. I guess Justin Worley and Nathan Peterman were better.

So he pulls good players' scholarships. Who is this kid?

So he pulls good players' scholarships. Who is this kid?

Actually the current articles suggest I'm wrong in my recollection. It looks like both Petty's and Boyd's scholarships would have ultimately been honored, but Kiffin didn't want either player and never spoke to them. But the bigger issue is highlighted in your post. Kiffin has obviously turned away talented kids (although a Tennessee recruit is most likely more talented than an FAU recruit), so it will be interesting to see if this is ultimately a good move for his program or yet another misevaluated talent.

Back