• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Kind of disappointing that we appear to be missing out on our final 2 DB options and Harris. I am happy, however that we may carry over those remains scholarships to next year. Better than using them on extreme backup options for this year. Overall solid group of commits if we hold onto them.

I'm fine with carrying a few scholarships over to next year. Will help us have a decent size class next year. Also, I think we will start getting higher rated commits. Since the majority of our recruits redshirt, it won't make much/any difference the next season.

Hope Clawson got the guys he wanted. We may pick up some grad transfers. I want kids who want to be here. If they like some other place hope they are happy

Still time for some NSD surprises.

If there is a really good PK walking around, I'd like to get that guy on campus, and not have to worry about it next year, after Weaver is gone.

Hope Clawson got the guys he wanted. We may pick up some grad transfers. I want kids who want to be here. If they like some other place hope they are happy

If Clawson got the guys he really wanted, our class would be looking more like Stanford's around the top 10 recruit ranking with academically solid guys. Duke has another solid class. Even after a poor year last year, they are still feeding off of the respect they got going toe to toe against Texas A&M and Johnny Manziel in a nationally televised bowl game. Duke also has a much better brand nationally than we do.

If our administration could get a handle on the value of a sports program as a branding tool, we would likely have made some better progress sooner in hoops and football. Duke's basketball program has kept them in the limelight for years and it gets applications and money in the door. I was told be a former football player at Wake that when our applications went through the roof after the Orange Bowl that it pissed of the academic folks so they pulled back on the number of borderline academic football players that they would admit. At the same time, he said the Duke folks looked at our success and increased the number of borderline academics football players that they would admit. It wasn't a huge number either way as I was told this about 3 years ago I don't recall exactly but I think we went from allowing 2 per class to allowing 1 and Duke went from 1 to 2. It's the thought process that is the point, that they don't understand that athletics can be a positive for the academic side of the school by getting our name out there to more potential students and by increasing the size of the applicant pool, get even more high level students.

If Clawson got the guys he really wanted, our class would be looking more like Stanford's around the top 10 recruit ranking with academically solid guys. Duke has another solid class. Even after a poor year last year, they are still feeding off of the respect they got going toe to toe against Texas A&M and Johnny Manziel in a nationally televised bowl game. Duke also has a much better brand nationally than we do.

If our administration could get a handle on the value of a sports program as a branding tool, we would likely have made some better progress sooner in hoops and football. Duke's basketball program has kept them in the limelight for years and it gets applications and money in the door. I was told be a former football player at Wake that when our applications went through the roof after the Orange Bowl that it pissed of the academic folks so they pulled back on the number of borderline academic football players that they would admit. At the same time, he said the Duke folks looked at our success and increased the number of borderline academics football players that they would admit. It wasn't a huge number either way as I was told this about 3 years ago I don't recall exactly but I think we went from allowing 2 per class to allowing 1 and Duke went from 1 to 2. It's the thought process that is the point, that they don't understand that athletics can be a positive for the academic side of the school by getting our name out there to more potential students and by increasing the size of the applicant pool, get even more high level students.

The oldest LOWF excuse in the book. So an ex Wake football player is privy to the application and acceptance criteria at Duke. I submit Duke has about zero players Wake would not take. I do agree Duke has a more national identity, but the increase in television coverage over the years is a nullifying factor in that.

I can tell you that success in basketball and football directly translates into increased applications. Even at the law school. We saw a spike in applications when Wake had success in football and basketball. It may not result in the quality you want, but it definitely increases the numbers and thus you become more selective. Never understood some of my colleagues who wanted to pull out of the ACC and/or drop down a division. There are tons of really good small liberal arts colleges in this country that have great academics and a selective student body that no one outside of their geographic area has ever heard of. Wake Forest used to be routinely confused in the Northeast with Lake Forest in Ill. Now that never happens and it is because of the exposure Wake Forest has because it is in the ACC and goes to bowl games televised nationally and used to routinely go to the NCAA tournament. The administration needs to recognize that and do what it can to keep us competitive.

The oldest LOWF excuse in the book. So an ex Wake football player is privy to the application and acceptance criteria at Duke. I submit Duke has about zero players Wake would not take. I do agree Duke has a more national identity, but the increase in television coverage over the years is a nullifying factor in that.

It was not intended as an excuse but a complaint. Bob McCreary is an ex Wake football player. Think he might know? It was not him but the point is that this guy is connected enough to know. I expect our athletic department is probably pretty aware of other teams academic standards. Duke coaches don't stay at Duke forever.

Hell of a first post tho...

It was not intended as an excuse but a complaint. Bob McCreary is an ex Wake football player. Think he might know? It was not him but the point is that this guy is connected enough to know. I expect our athletic department is probably pretty aware of other teams academic standards. Duke coaches don't stay at Duke forever.

No I don't think Duke discusses applications with Bob McCreary or anyone else associated with Wake Forest.

yeah so in other news, national signing day is TOMORROW! :dancindeac::dancindeac::dancindeac:

No I don't think Duke discusses applications with Bob McCreary or anyone else associated with Wake Forest.
So coaches at different schools don't talk to each other about the restrictions that they are dealing with? One guy coached with another guy at a past job and over a beer talks about how the new gig is going or hey, Cutcliffe offered me a job, how hard is it to recruit kids that can get in? I don't think Duke's admission policy is a closely held secret. I would guess there are several high school coaches who are aware of it because their players didn't get in or are told they can't offer this kid because they have limited exceptions. Would imagine there are guidance counselors at high schools that know....

No more responses from me on this issue. This is the craziest offseason that I can recall with coaching changes, decommits.... Ready for NSD and spring football to get false hope again. Last year it was the wide receivers. What will it be this year? Now that is LOWF!

So coaches at different schools don't talk to each other about the restrictions that they are dealing with? One guy coached with another guy at a past job and over a beer talks about how the new gig is going or hey, Cutcliffe offered me a job, how hard is it to recruit kids that can get in? I don't think Duke's admission policy is a closely held secret. I would guess there are several high school coaches who are aware of it because their players didn't get in or are told they can't offer this kid because they have limited exceptions. Would imagine there are guidance counselors at high schools that know....

No more responses from me on this issue. This is the craziest offseason that I can recall with coaching changes, decommits.... Ready for NSD and spring football to get false hope again. Last year it was the wide receivers. What will it be this year? Now that is LOWF!

Can we have a post limit before people are allowed to post?

My guess is JJMGG knows more than the vast majority of posters on this board.

I bet Clawson and staff have a good feeling for what Duke's admission standards are for football recruits. And other schools they recruit against.

Back