• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

I highly doubt the admissions folks would willingly working to increase their acceptance rates.

There was a column in the Raleigh N&O a year or two back (more?) about how Duke football was/had changed their focus for football. The acknowledgment was that Wake under Grobe had stepped up in football and Grobe's red-shirt program was one key to the new success Wake was experiencing. The conclusion was Duke football being down for so long was a direct detriment to the total school perception they wanted. They were choosing to change and to follow the Wake formula. (Duke was big in football in the '30s) So, I'm sure there were other changes within that other than just a red-shirt pattern, and the poster may likely have some correct insight into Wake now.

IIRC, Wake had many added applications years back after holding the Presidential debates. Positive exposure matters. So, basketball and football, even baseball some, figure into the total Wake perception. Winners go there! We have high standards that we need to keep but there is a balance in some areas. What caused Grobe to lose his niche? He got tired, worn down, some conditions changed, some promises missed? Don't know. Clawson is doing a great job and he needs the proper support.

I did see an article recently of the best schools/value in each state. In NC: Davidson, Duke, UNC-CH, were listed, but not Wake. Seems like another too. Don't recall exactly.

The wack job that wrote the executive order banning muslims from entering the country is a duke grad. Thst has to help football recruiting right? Wake has fewer wack jobs. Come here

Tons of NLIs are in according to the Twitterverse. Monroe, Neal, etc. Clapp signed with Wake (I think there so mention of a hat ceremony but that would have been embarrassing to lose him to App.).

Tons of NLIs are in according to the Twitterverse. Monroe, Neal, etc. Clapp signed with Wake (I think there so mention of a hat ceremony but that would have been embarrassing to lose him to App.).

All are in

we could always throw a late schollie offer at this guy.

http://mag.bleacherreport.com/k-hari-lane-quarterback-recruiting/

"Despite throwing a state-record 56 TD passes with only two interceptions for his state championship team, small town Georgia QB K'Hari Lane waits for a major college scholarship offer that may never come"

"He's six feet tall, give or take an inch, depending on who is doing the measuring..." A sub-6' QB wouldn't be very popular with this crowd. (And we know that charge would be coming.)

"He's six feet tall, give or take an inch, depending on who is doing the measuring..." A sub-6' QB wouldn't be very popular with this crowd. (And we know that charge would be coming.)

While true, he could easily be moved to FB or even to the defensive side of the ball. He's obviously that kid who wants his shot at QB first.

According to Lane, he has offers from Grambling State, Southern, Hampton, Savannah State, Morehouse and a mounting list of JUCO programs.

Hard to feel too bad for him. He has FCS offers. He can go to college on a scholarship. If he blows up, he can transfer. I'm assuming he's been asked to walk-on at some big time schools as well.

Thoughts on Mike Allen redshirting? We seem to already have at least 12 defensive linemen/ends (Duke, Dunn, Yarbury, Stewart, Black, Kamara, Zeek Rodney (?), Calhoun, Zimmer, Bateman, Basham, Walker) ready to go.

Thoughts on Mike Allen redshirting? We seem to already have at least 12 defensive linemen/ends (Duke, Dunn, Yarbury, Stewart, Black, Kamara, Zeek Rodney (?), Calhoun, Zimmer, Bateman, Basham, Walker) ready to go.

That is a good dilemma to have. If Mike Allen is physically, mentally, and technically ready to contribute at the end of August, I would guess he plays. If there are guys who are better or equal and older, they will play and Allen redshirts. I would rather have 5th year senior Allen than true freshman Allen playing - unless he looks so good this August that he likely wouldn't be at Wake for five seasons. But I'd take that gamble. So I would plan to redshirt him, and make him play his way out of that rather than the other way around.

Back