• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Minnesota's defense was the team strength last year. The Gophers ranked #106 in the country in offense, and #23 on defense. Their rushing defense was ranked #14 in the nation (3.38 ypc/124 ypg). Minnesota had the #2 rushing D in the Big 10.

That's encouraging.

Particularly with the B1G known for "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football, and a number of teams relying on the power run game.

If people want a 2018 thread I'm happy to start one today. Let me think about whether there is anything useful that I can put in the OP. I'm not going to follow it quite as closely until May. I learned last year that Wake recruiting doesn't really heat up until late spring / early summer. But I guess that we need a place to discuss visitors this spring etc.

All in on 18 thread. Thanks Deac94 for all you do.

Wake seems to think it is because that's how it's listed on all of the Wake tweets and roster. 116 hits on the Googs with that spelling in quotes. "Tayvon Bowers" on the other hand pulls up 4800+ hits including ESPN, Rivals, 247, Scout, and Hudl (don't the kids manage their own Hudl pages?), not to mention his Twitter page (Tayvon Bowers @tayvonbowers).

Strange if true. Seems like even if that is his birth name, no one including himself uses it. Dunno why Wake would insist on using it.

A little follow up work on this today, because I'm clearly focusing on what's important!

Wake media relations is right, and the rest of us are right too. His legal name is Tayvone, but the name was frequently mispronounced, so somewhere along the way he and his family dropped the 'e' for everyday use. I was told that his IDs all have his legal name, so that for travel and other issues that Wake would use 'Tayvone."

Bowers told me via a Twitter DM that he prefers "Tayvon," so I'll probably continue to report with the name he prefers, while Wake will apparently continue using his legal name.

Clear?

Geez. I hate when people feel forced to change their name because people don't bother to learn how to pronounce it.

A little follow up work on this today, because I'm clearly focusing on what's important!

Wake media relations is right, and the rest of us are right too. His legal name is Tayvone, but the name was frequently mispronounced, so somewhere along the way he and his family dropped the 'e' for everyday use. I was told that his IDs all have his legal name, so that for travel and other issues that Wake would use 'Tayvone."

Bowers told me via a Twitter DM that he prefers "Tayvon," so I'll probably continue to report with the name he prefers, while Wake will apparently continue using his legal name.

Clear?

Thanks for the insight! Obviously not a big deal but I was really intrigued. Personally wish Wake would use his preferred name. While I can't know for sure, I bet some of the Scotty/Mike/Chuck/Alex/Matt/Nate/Dom/Chris/Sam/Cam/Greg/Jeff names listed on the official roster/bios are not exactly what shows up on the relevant ID documents.

Nate Mays just posted a picture of himself lifting on twitter. He is gigantic. 100% looks the part of an acc linebacker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surratt 1st team Parade AA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake Forest's name appears twice in the Parade article. One for Surratt and one for Taylor Powell-- who is Honorable mention. When was the last time Wake's name was mentioned twice in the article on the Parade All-Americans?

Sounds like the "tall tent poles" (best recruits) are getting a little better each year. Next years class needs more like these guys and fewer "under the radar" guys.

Back