• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Schedule

I was just pointing out that over the past 10 years, we've been competitive with the Big 4 teams. If you go back to Chuck Mills, we couldn't stand up to anybody.

Kind of disagree, but not strongly. The ACC schedulers don't do us any favors in regards to a rivalry. It should be Duke. Makes the most sense, but then it should be at the end of the season each year, not the beginning some years and the end some years.

In football, we even hard a good rivalry with Florida State for about a 5 or 6 year run. We just haven't been quite consistent enough, but honestly nobody outside Clemson and FSU has been consistently good in football. It has to be turf war - this is my state or my town. Duke - Wake makes the most sense in football, but has to be scheduled on the same weekend each year. I think it should be our last ACC game each season as I think a lot would be on the line for both teams at least in the near future.

In hoops, when we were good, we had awesome rivalries with Duke and Chapel Hill, less so with State, but that too. State was the rivalry game we didn't want to lose. Duke doesn't mind losing great games to Chapel Hill, at least in Chapel Hill, but they hate losing to us anywhere. Those Duncan years gave us a lot of mileage for that being a rivalry. Up through Prosser. It probably died when James Johnson and Jeff Teague left and we were suck again. But it is scheduled to be a rivalry. We play Duke home and home, State home and home, each year so far as I can tell.

Utah State game for homecoming. September 16. Damn early, but guess we didn't want it vs FSU or Loui

Wowie Zowie super early Homecoming. Freshmen won't even know all their professor's names, nor where the buildings are.

Switzerland has no rivals.

Ran into a guy last night who played on the APP team that defeated Michigan. He said a large group of his former teammates are already planning a big weekend when we make the trip to Boone this year. "We were talking about it, and we think this is a bigger deal than the Miami game last year". He also said they were pumped for the return trip to W-S in a few years. I know I'm in the vast minority on this board, and I get that we want to somehow now make Duke our "natural rival" after playing them for over 100 years. But not getting hung up on what the definition of a "rival" is, let's just leave it that our matchups with APP will be rather "spirited".

UNC and App State close to confirming a 3 game series with one game in Boone.

Syracuse plays 11 teams that went to bowl games in 2016. Wake plays 7 teams that went to bowl games in 2016. [of course 'Cuse has to play us!]

Last edited:
Saw a column today that predicted all P5 team football records this year. Wake was at 5-7 but mentioned our good defense could yield a possible additional win.

Not that it really matters but Duke will be without Sirk as even a backup QB. He is transferring.

"Despite Thomas Sirk’s erstwhile recovery efforts from his third torn Achilles this spring, Daniel Jones is firmly entrenched as Duke’s starting quarterback.

Monday’s news that Sirk is transferring from Duke to play his final season elsewhere only further cements the fact that this is Jones’ team for the foreseeable future".

Game times announced for first three weeks. @BC at 1 PM, vs Utah State at 3.

And Presby at 6:30 on the opening Thurs

Back