• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 U.S. Open Contest - DeaconDog holds on to win!

Very strange leader board for a major. You would have thought this course would be great for the likes of McIlroy, DJ, Day and Bubba. And a lot of other greats like Spieth, Stenson and Rose just treading water.

Watched a couple hours of it last night. I love the look and vibe of the course. With this and Whistling Straits, it puts the Milwaukee area in there as a bucket list destination.

Last edited:
If the cut was made now, I bet less than 1/2 the teams would qualify for the weekend. As of now here's who'd miss the cut:

DJ
Rory
Day
Webb
Kisner
Rahm

That's six of the Top 11 people on the chart.

Sleepy, has there ever been such a huge wipeout of top people?

Sleepy, has there ever been such a huge wipeout of top people?

Just looking at the U.S. Opens, the percentage of teams in this contest missing the cut were:

2016: 30%
2015: 24%
2014: 13%
2013: 31%
2012: 39%

THX! There's a real possibility that this year could top 2012's cut percentage.

In Keno if you bet 10+ numbers and whiff on all all of them, you cash a jackpot ticket. If none of our six make the cut, do we get a Top 10 finish? :)

Good to see Fox's coverage is still putrid.

Azinger: "This hole is one of the shortest on the course, but it's also playing as one of the most difficult."

Random on-course announcer: "SOUNDS LIKE THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT HOLE THEN STEVE!"

(awkward silence, cut to commercial)

Also the music during hole previews is hilarious. It's a like a full orchestra going nuts at the finale of a fireworks show while the announcers discuss a subtle break on a green.

Haas -4 with one hole to play (so still time to jinx him!), should put him in good shape entering the weekend. For some reason his record in majors is pretty bad, but maybe this can be his year?

Watched the coverage over lunch. Got to hear Curtis and Darren give Wake a shout out - although Curtis clarified that neither graduated. And GO BILL! Getting himself in contention in a major.

I need Spieth and RCB to at least make the cut. Schwartzel and Day went south on me.

Haas -4 with one hole to play (so still time to jinx him!), should put him in good shape entering the weekend. For some reason his record in majors is pretty bad, but maybe this can be his year?

He's at least average in length and plays it mostly a little right to left. This layout could be favorable to him.

Yeah the Joe Buck commentary is really special. Absolutely no insight or knowledge of any kind.

"That shot has hit the fairway."

"His iron approach has not gotten into the fescue."

"The putt is a little short."

Zinger's not bad at least. And no more Greg Norman thankfully. But Joe Buck calling live golf reminds me of ESPN letting Chris Berman call the Masters.

brad faxon rocking a special suit today. i bet sonders was really impressed

I'm loving the Gil Hanse stuff about architecture.

Just looking at the U.S. Opens, the percentage of teams in this contest missing the cut were:

2016: 30%
2015: 24%
2014: 13%
2013: 31%
2012: 39%[/QUOTE

Time once again for my suggestion on the fair method of scoring teams that don't make the cut. If you have 59 teams and 25 of them don't make the cut, those teams shouldn't all score a 35. They should each score a 47.....the average of 35 & 59.

If 4 players tie for 2nd place in a tournament they don't each get 2nd place money. They split 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th place money.

In this contest, in the situation listed above it isn't fair to the teams that made the cut and finished, say, 33rd or 34th, to only gain 1 or 2 points over 25 teams that didn't make the cut....some of whom would have had scores 20+ worse if they had all made the cut. In this situation, many teams are actually rewarded with a better score by failing to make the cut.

Teams that don't make the cut should each get the average of all the positions for teams that didn't make the cut.....not all one point more than the last team that made the cut.

Last edited:
That's not the way it has been done for all the years Sleepy has run it and would cause lots of headaches.

Also, I stopped doing cumulative Grand Slam scoring last year, and am not planning on doing it this year.

Geez, I've got first place Koepka but my two 10 pointers in Day and McIlroy shit the bed and take my team down. :(

By my count 24 teams made the cut, with only Wrangor & Deacsfan27 having all six players advancing to the weekend.

(And if there is no overall Grand Slam contest going on, it really doesn't matter about the cut teams. That only came into play if you were having a contest for all four events combined as well as individual events. I didn't realize we weren't doing that anymore. If we were, though, this tournament is an example of what I was talking about. 35 teams that would have finished anywhere from 25th to 59th would have all had a score of 25.)

Back