• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Wake Football Outlook

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I imagine Clawson and the boys have to be pumped heading into the off season but looking ahead to Spring practice. The only current games that show up on the 2017 schedule are at App St and at ND not counting division games. App will be tough as they have a great defense (but so did Temple) and who knows what ND will have except our former DC. While I can't see us touching Clemson or FSU, we should be competitive in all other games.

Will any of the current recruiting class be at Spring practice and how many of the class on a whole will be redshirted? Probably need deac94 for that input.

Clawson unfortunately has to put together an entire new playbook. gonna be a long offseason.

I think Christian Beal is the only incoming recruit that's come in early (Spring) but 94 can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we see improvement, but the schedule is tougher. I think 6-6 and another bowl is doable and a real measuring stick of progress. 5-7 maybe ok. But if we're back to 3-9 or 4-8, it will be very disappointing even with a tougher schedule.

Very early call below. Need to win 3 of 5 "toss-ups" and steal a "likely L".

Definite W's - Presbyterian
Likely W's - Utah State, Duke
Toss-ups - NC State, @BC, @Cuse, @GT, @App
Likely Ls - @ND, FSU, Louisville
Definite Ls - Clemson

The schedule breaks down like this.

OOC:
vs. Presbyterian
vs. Utah State
at App
at Notre Dame

Home ACC
F$U
Louisville
dook
NCSU

Road ACC
BC
Clemson
Syracuse
GT

Last year, we went 3-1 non-conference, 2-2 in conference home games, and 1-3 in conference road games. Matching the non-conference record will be possible, but difficult. We need to flip the NCSU and BC games and hold serve against dook and Syracuse. It would be nice to steal one of the home games against UL or FSU, but I'm not counting on that.

The team should be better next year. On offense, we only had two seniors on the entire depth chart, Josh Harris and Ty Hayworth. I would expect them to be replaced by some combination of Osterhage, Gilliam, and Terry. I don't know enough about our redshirting freshmen to comment on who might contribute, but OL Taleni Suhren was one of our most highly-rated recruits, and Clawson singled out RB Arkeem Byrd as having big-play potential. We have three receivers (Brown, Dortch, Grate) all entering the mix, and am hoping at least one of those can get some playing time. Dortch has also been discussed on this board as a possible return man, IIRC, and we will need to replace Armstrong on kicks.

The defense loses six seniors. Watson and Lee, IMO, are the major losses. Jaboree has played well at one LB spot, but we need a largely-unseasoned player, likely Strnad, to step up and replace Lee. I don't think it's a good sign if we need Dawson to start. At CB, I thought Dionte Austin really struggled after a promising freshman year, and seemed to have been passed over for Bassey at one point, though that may have been health-related. Henderson, Bassey, and Austin all need to step up for next year.

Josh Banks is a really good player, and Lewinson deserves credit for working his way into the rotation, but we should be fine with the shirts coming off Kamara, Basham, and Zimmer. All the other DL return, and hopefully we'll get Rodney back. As long as Ejiofor doesn't go pro, DL will be a major strength. Janvion and Brown are decent players who will also be moving on, but Kemp and Glenn will be fine in those spots. S Lukas Masterson was another player Clawson mentioned recently as being able to "really tackle." As long as we can shore up that corner spot, and make a good hire at DC, our defense should be very stout once again.

Our offense is going to need to step up big time if we return to a bowl. The defense will continue to be pretty good, but I am guessing there will be a falloff from where they are this year.

It's year four and time for the offense to pick up the slack. They've been one of the worst units in the country over the past 5-7 years.

Is there a realistic chance that Newman is ready to take the reins at QB next season?

I think you shoot for 9 wins. If we can keep QB1 healthy, I like our chances.

Is there a realistic chance that Newman is ready to take the reins at QB next season?

No clue where he stands right now. I would have to think that Hinton is the assumed starter unless it is taken from him.

We have to figure out a way to keep our quarterbacks healthy, and given our offense right now (lots of QB runs), we are going to continue to have these types of injuries.

We need to get back to beating NCSU in games played at Groves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow a large portion of my sent emails disappeared from Outlook yesterday. I guess I was mistakenly unworried about being able to retrieve them from the company where my email originates. Then they said they didn't have them. This puzzled me.

Was I wrong to think that if XYZ company provides your email for deacon@ogb.com that they would have all the emails even if they are forwarded to Outlook or sent through Outlook with deacon@ogb.com as the sending address?

Isn't the underlying service through them?

Other than QB, most concerned about the DBs. Henderson and Austin did not look good and the safety position opposite Bates was inconsistent at best.

Very early call below. Need to win 3 of 5 "toss-ups" and steal a "likely L".

Definite W's - Presbyterian
Likely W's - Utah State, Duke
Toss-ups - NC State, @BC, @Cuse, @GT, @App
Likely Ls - @ND, FSU, Louisville
Definite Ls - Clemson

It is laughable you put Duke in the "Likely W's" category. Had the 2 teams played at the end of the season, rather than during week 2 of Duke breaking in a redshirt frosh qb, I get the feeling the outcome would have been a wee bit different. The Duke-Wake game is the biggest toss-up I would think.

Duke lost to UVA for gosh sakes. They absolutely suck regardless of the time of year.

CB and who replaces Marquel Lee are the two biggest questions. I think we are good at Safety with Bates and Glenn.

I also think replacing Josh banks will be tougher than one would think. He was a monster this year.

Presby - W
USU - W
Duke - W
State - L
BC - W
Cuse - W
App - W
GT - L
ND - L
Louisville - L
FSU - L
Clemson - L

6-6 is about right, with 7-5 upside if we can beat one of State/GT

Other than QB, most concerned about the DBs. Henderson and Austin did not look good and the safety position opposite Bates was inconsistent at best.

Definitely agree about the CBs. I thought that Bassey looked pretty good for a true frosh in the limited time that he played. Of course I thought the same thing last year about Austin last year, and he really didn't do much this year. Hopefully those 3 improve with more tenure and another option or two steps up. No matter what, it would be nice if our CBs could start showing some ball awareness. It drives me nuts how they rarely turn and look for the ball. There were times they could have made a play on the ball, if they had any clue where it is. Plus, you're so much more likely to get flagged for PI, if you make any contact with the receiver without showing any regard for the ball.

Presby - W
USU - W
Duke - W
State - W
BC - W
Cuse - W
App - L
GT - W
ND - L
Louisville - L
FSU - L
Clemson - L

We'll ranked 20th-25th going into the App game. We'll lose a close one but come back out and beat Ga Tech, only to finish the season 0-4, before beating an SEC team in the Meineke Bowl

Book it

Back