• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Wolford vs. 2018 Hinton

deacondamo

El Jefe
Reaction score
In this thread, we discuss the difference between 2017 Wolford (known quantity) and 2018 Hinton (unknown quantity). We can also discuss Hartman, Bowers, etc.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciwJWJm8V0

Serigne is so open at 1:20. The RPO is awesome.

*This thread is developed with the express purpose of getting this discussion off of the Recruiting thread.

Last edited:
In this thread, we discuss the difference between 2017 Wolford (known quantity) and 2018 Hinton (unknown quantity). We can also discuss Hartman, Bowers, etc.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciwJWJm8V0

Serigne is so open at 1:20. The RPO is awesome.

*This thread is developed with the express purpose of getting this discussion off of the Recruiting thread.

Pretty much impossible to discuss the difference between 2017 Wolford and 2018 Hinton since we have yet to see the 2018 version of Hinton, but carry on.

Pretty much impossible to discuss the difference between 2017 Wolford and 2018 Hinton since we have yet to see the 2018 version of Hinton, but carry on.

You must be unfamiliar with the Recruiting Thread which is exactly what everyone is talking about.

You must be unfamiliar with the Recruiting Thread which is exactly what everyone is talking about.

Yeah, I hadn't looked at it much. Until we see Hinton behind the same line that Wolford played behind this year, I don't see how any decent comparasions or speculations can be made.

Comparing them is kind of pointless. Each player carries his own positives and negatives. The job of a good coach is to create an offense within his scheme that highlights the positives and hides the negatives. Like many, I love our RPO offense. I think the important question is how it will look with Hinton as QB. We can speculate forever, and I guess that is what this board is for, but nothing will be known until September.

I understand what larger discussion you’re trying to generate, but the premise is flawed when we say Hinton is an unknown quantity. Of course we don’t know exactly how he’ll perform in ‘18, but he’s in many respects a very known quantity and has proven himself a capable and dynamic QB. I’m optimistic. Love watching him play.

Hinton has always had a knack for making something out of nothing which was much of our offense in the early Clawfense years. I'm really excited to see Hinton have a chance to make something out of something next year. I think there are some good prospects for a more focused RPO offense with the speed we will have at other skill positions on the field.

Honestly, I'm still stunned that the WF offense broke so many records this year. At the beginning of the year, I don't believe anyone thought that Wolford/the OL/the offense in general would have had such a great year. I think all facets improved. Next year will be exciting no matter who is back is there. Do we have any pure pocket passers? It seems like this O will not be suited for one.

I think all of our QBs are capable of running. Honestly, I think the "pure pocket passer" in the Marino, Brady, Manning vein is going to be a thing of the past.

I think all of our QBs are capable of running. Honestly, I think the "pure pocket passer" in the Marino, Brady, Manning vein is going to be a thing of the past.

Yep, especially in the college game.

It is a lot more exciting having a QB capable of running and having that incorporated into the playbook. One of the reasons college is so much better than the homogenized pro game.

It is a lot more exciting having a QB capable of running and having that incorporated into the playbook. One of the reasons college is so much better than the homogenized pro game.

It's great in college. Sucks in the NFL because you know the guys can't keep it up due to the size and speed of the defenders. See Wentz, Carson. He was so fun to watch, but you knew it wasn't going to end well.

Yeah. The NFL is figuring things out. Rodgers, Russ, and Kaep helped usher in a new era. Cam and Luck were #1 pick QBs based on the arm and legs. Now you have Carson Wentz who looks like a beautiful giant gazelle when he gets downfield.

I think Hinton is a more dynamic and elusive runner but to have the quick decisions Wolford showed may take him a little while.

What we have seen: Loved that Wolford didn't let anything bother him. It appeared he wasn't a super vocal leader, but his play of continuing to come back in games and make plays, and come back in his career after getting knocked down is really admirable. His grasp of the offense this year was amazing. He threw the ball on time and accurately, and read the defense really well pre snap, and read his keys well post snap.

I love but hate the way Hinton runs. I love that he doesn't shy from contact, and finishes runs, almost like a running back. He also looks shiftier in the open field, and gets to his top speed quicker than John. Plays with a chip. As probably the clear starter next year with a lot of inexperience behind him, I think he should probably protect himself more. But the guy competes, and we will be in good hands. I don't think he's the same guy as Wolford, so it feels like we are comparing apples and oranges. He'll do things better than John, and some things worse. Who knows what impact his strengths vs his weaknesses will have on our offense as a whole. But I think having a junior QB with experience, after losing one of Wake's top 3 QBs of all time, is a huge plus for an offense returning a ton of starters. Hoping Bowers is fully healthy, Jimmy Newman is ready, or the Hartman guy is the real deal would make me nervous this season.

Last edited:
Serious question (just now thought of it), does it worry anyone how predictable and not very good the one Hinton drive was in the Duke game? He had one long run that was nice. Just confused why either a) we didn’t run the same offense that Wolford ran if, indeed, Hinton will be close to as good a passer as Wolford and b) maybe we did run the same offense but Hinton was not good at it and still has the “run first” tendency. Welcome any insight/opinion (outside “he’ll have all offseason to practice the offense”).

Serious question (just now thought of it), does it worry anyone how predictable and not very good the one Hinton drive was in the Duke game? He had one long run that was nice. Just confused why either a) we didn’t run the same offense that Wolford ran if, indeed, Hinton will be close to as good a passer as Wolford and b) maybe we did run the same offense but Hinton was not good at it and still has the “run first” tendency. Welcome any insight/opinion (outside “he’ll have all offseason to practice the offense”).

I think it worked so well the first handful of plays they kept going back to it. Went to the well too many times, got in an obvious passing down, guy came free off the edge and that ended it.

Everyone on offense pretty well sucked in that game.

Back