• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Wolford vs. 2018 Hinton

That leap will be difficult when we are replacing 4 OL starters, as well as Colburn.

Byrd for Colburn doesn't bother me. Seems like the OL improvement has been more system and coaching than recruiting, so I'm assuming we've just raised the baseline of that group as opposed to relying on 3 or 4 irreplaceable players.

2018 is a high ceiling year for us.

* ACC home games: Boston College, Clemson, Syracuse, Pittsburgh
* ACC road games:
Florida State, Louisville, NC State, Duke

We will be favored in 3 home conference games. I think we'll be under a TD dog in the road games. 3 highly likely OOC wins and ND at home.

The current O-line guys have played a lot of games together and have seen lots of stuff from D-linemen against them. That kind of experience us hard to replace.

Wake needs to begin rotating in the younger guys in the fall of 2018 so the 2019 line isn't a bunch of total newbies.

You left out Beal, many think he will get his next year too.

I honestly forgot about him.

aUW8r.gif

Its a hell of a drug

To be fair, a better comparison would be 2017 Wolford vs. 2019 Hinton, right?

The big difference to me between these to QB's is speed in the mid-range route game. Sure, Hinton's more elusive than Wolford, but not by all that much and their general speed is about the same. In his few appearances this year Hinton also looked a little bigger and less like Dortch playing QB, as he did when he was a freshman. While Hinton throws a stronger deep ball, Wolford had a much, much quicker release. His decision making was also seconds quicker than Hinton. Those are VERY hard jumps to make. Wolford made the decision-making jump his senior year, but already had a quick release and a good arm.

I think that's where the 2018 Hinton will struggle to keep up with Wolford, but the receivers are going to be awesome. Offensive line should be better, running game should be as good if not better. Schedule will be a little easier.

My guess is that he won't get near the point total or gaudy numbers of Wolford this year, but we'll still get one more win. Then 2019 we'll be a dark horse ACC title contender as he makes the senior year leap. Hopefully it'll line up with a year where FSU/Clemson aren't juggernauts.

DCDeac hit the nail on the head. Wolford's release was quicker and more accurate than we have seen from Hinton. The quickness of his decision making is in part a result of extensive game experience that Hinton lacks. Two primary reasons why Wolford became the starter this year and was successful when the OL developed into a strength of the team. If healthy, Hinton should improve in both areas as the season progresses. It's great to have a quality QB ready to replace a quality QB.

DCDeac hit the nail on the head. Wolford's release was quicker and more accurate than we have seen from Hinton. The quickness of his decision making is in part a result of extensive game experience that Hinton lacks. Two primary reasons why Wolford became the starter this year and was successful when the OL developed into a strength of the team. If healthy, Hinton should improve in both areas as the season progresses. It's great to have a quality QB ready to replace a quality QB.

Wolford was also way more accurate than Lamar Jackson.

Back