• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Doesn't make sense for big conferences to use the CUSA model but makes a ton of sense for everyone else to use it.

Any chance he wants back in the ACC? I know he’s an alum but at least take a shot.

Wasnt really letting him go. from what I have heard TCU was Dixons dream job. alma mater with no pressure to succeed. if he did(which he has) then hes even more of a hero.

Crean lands#2 recruit in 2019 class.

If he can successfully develop a pipeline of Atlanta area talent to Athens, he should have a pretty successful career at UGA.

However, GT is in Atlanta and they have had limited success doing this.

In the wake of UGA losing 8 in a row, Crean takes the blame . . . by saying he kept these players.

It was his fault, Crean said, "because I'm the one who decided to keep these guys" after replacing fired predecessor Mark Fox at UGA.

Say what, now?

"It doesn't mean that they are not great kids," Crean said, "but very few programs when there's a takeover, when you have guys that haven't done it at any point in time really in their career, a lot of those guys, they move on. That's what happens in a job change. And I didn't do that. So I'm not going to complain. We've just got to keep doing everything we can do to fix it and make it better."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/sec/2019/02/11/georgia-basketball-coach-tom-crean-rips-his-team-inopportune-time/2837983002/

Ol Roy lettin the kids play the last couple of minutes with two timeouts left. Maybe not a great idea.

I guess.

Still makes him look like an aloof asshole, which is kind of his rep anyway.

Tony Bennett 9-7 now against North Carolina with the Cavs. So bitter what he's built there vs. Wake.

This may belong in the hot take thread, but UVA is more annoying as a team these days than Duke or UNC. Slow, plodding style, aggressive (awesome) defense that rarely gets called for fouls, flailing white dudes that make ridiculous shots, etc, etc, etc. Couple buddies and I keep saying they're the new, old Duke.

Also, yes I bet on UNC last night and bitterness may contribute to this.

This may belong in the hot take thread, but UVA is more annoying as a team these days than Duke or UNC. Slow, plodding style, aggressive (awesome) defense that rarely gets called for fouls, flailing white dudes that make ridiculous shots, etc, etc, etc. Couple buddies and I keep saying they're the new, old Duke.

Among the differences: fewer players than Duke you want to punch, far less obnoxious coach, student section seems far less contrived.

Wasnt really letting him go. from what I have heard TCU was Dixons dream job. alma mater with no pressure to succeed. if he did(which he has) then hes even more of a hero.

think they lowered his buyout and made it easy as possible for him to leave

Heaven forbid another team actually plays good D, and they don't commit many fouls (nor do their opponents for some reason). Mack is doing a great job at Louisville using the packline as well. We actually played solid D back under Dino using the same D, although we were offensively challenged. I like watching teams that are good at the fundamentals, and UVA is just about the epitome of good fundamental basketball. And good old Roy outrecruits Bennett on an annual basis yet has a losing record against him - and that includes Tony's 1st couple of teams that sucked.

This is like the people on ESPN 5 or so years ago saying they'd much rather watch OKC than San Antonio when the Spurs were like watching a ballet whereas OKC was just Iso Durant or Westbrook, let them go to the basket and have Ibaka hit the glass - rinse and repeat. Hating a team because they're great at the fundamentals is ridiculous.

I love watching UVA play.

Me too. Loved watching UVA just take over the game at UNC last night in the final minutes. While UVA plays at slow tempo, their offense is elite: 40% from 3; 55% effective FG%, and they don't commit many turnovers. The criticism of the UVA offense is misplaced. They are just so fundamentally sound.

UVA recruits at a level below UNC, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas. Yet, there are as good if not better than all of those programs right now.

The one valid explanation that I recently heard for UVA's NCAAs failures is that UVA plays with max effort from game 1 throughout the season. They never take possessions off on O or D, much less mail it in for entire game. So, in the tourney, when Kentucky or Duke or Michigan State or Villanova ramp up the effort when the spotlight is at its brightest, UVA can't do that because they have been playing at maximum capacity all year. Makes some sense. With that said, think/hope that this season UVA will change their reputation as NCAA Tourney underachievers.

The one valid explanation that I recently heard for UVA's NCAAs failures is that UVA plays with max effort from game 1 throughout the season. They never take possessions off on O or D, much less mail it in for entire game.

Sure seemed like they took some plays off in our game.

Until UVA gets to The Dance...not that I wouldn't trade places with them now.

But the truth is in Bennett's six NCAAT, he has grossly underachieved. In four the season (three as #1 seeds), he got knocked out by lower seeds (including to #10 as #1 and the only #1 to lose to #16). He lost by 26 as #10 playing a #7. He also lost as #5 to #4 by 26 (while only scoring 39).

Bennett has been HOF during the season and bad in The Dance.

Back