• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

I just don't see them coming together in time to save the season.

Ignore the posturing and look at where they are. As one writer I follow said, they are close enough to rub noses. (That one made me laugh.) The only way they don't get something done is if they both totally misjudge the situation, and I think both are too smart to do that.

In a moment of weakness (read: optimism) yesterday, I was thinking of how great it would be if they opened on New Years. A full day of rivalry games, from the east coast to the west, from noon until past midnight, when lots of people are home in front of their TVs...

WARNING, THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE.

Just wanted to post this article about Sean Avery's new career.... I mean, they refer to him as Mr. Avery. Weird.

From Madison Square Garden to Madison Avenue

A client who works with Mr. Avery is effusive in her praise.

"As a professional athlete, you have love of the game and passion, and Sean is certainly bringing that to Lipman," said Susan Duffy, chief marketing officer at Stuart Weitzman, a shoe marketer, which just re-signed with the agency for a second year.

She ticked off attributes like "his love of business, his love of the luxury market, his love of fashion," adding: "He wasn't classically trained, with an M.B.A. or college. He has an M.B.A. degree in social networking. He's a connector."

For a closeted homosexual he sure has banged an awful lot of hot chicks.

Maybe. I mean, this is the exact same thing that the NBA did, and they had an agreement less than two weeks later. (Though there is a lot more bitterness here, and the NHL owners have cried anytime given a chance that they would fight decertification and it would be an end to the season. Then again, so did the NBA owners.)

Explaining the NHL's latest move

Supposedly NHL is threatening to void all contracts and make everyone a FA. That just seems like a terrible idea. How much would Stamkos, Ovi, Crosby, and Malken get? Would the Pitt owner really be for that?

Supposedly NHL is threatening to void all contracts and make everyone a FA. That just seems like a terrible idea. How much would Stamkos, Ovi, Crosby, and Malken get? Would the Pitt owner really be for that?

Scare tactic, obviously. No way would Pitt give up Crosby an Malkin, Washington Ovechkin, Carolina the Staals, etc. Not a chance in hell.

Haha, Toronto, NYR and Montreal could all build super teams. It would be madness.

Have you all seen the filing? NHL goes to great lengths to show how the NHLPA has been negotiating, presenting offers, acting in the best interests of its members, and is fully supported by its members. Basically the exact opposite of everything they have been saying to this point.

Since I give the owners such a hard time, I would like to quickly point out some good from the owners, including this from Lightning owner Jeff Vinik:

Vinik gives Lightning employees early holiday gift

The Lightneing are giving employees two weeks off around the holidays, paid, that doesn’t count against their vacation time. They’re also giving everyone $75 with the request that they use it for something charitable.

Also the Sabres, who, instead of laying people off or cutting down hours, are using the excess time due to the lockout to conduct “Sabres University,” where employees can learn about other areas of the business.

Sabres University: Buffalo goes back to school during lockout downtime

I'm digging the highlights on espn of the simulated year...Just wish it were the real thing.

Back