• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

For the Canes fans:

Staals eager to get back on NHL ice

Love the pic of Jordan and his dad.

320054.jpg

Also, just because it cracked me up:

Crosby moonlights as goaltender

(For those looking for an update, not much. They're in a holding pattern, it seems, as we edge closer to losing a season.)

Last edited:
What do you think the odds are that there will be a season?

Short answer, I still think it is significantly more likely that we will have a season than we won't. Long, rambling answer, see below…

Mainly, because there is a ton of money involved. I don’t know what the fanbase is like in North Carolina, but Philly is a pretty strong hockey market, and even here there are a ton of fans that treat hockey like casual college bball fans treat college bball… they start paying attention late in the season when it starts to mean something. I think the NHL can still capture the majority of revenues for the year as long as they have a partial season. The season will be extra exciting because every game will mean that much more. And nothing in the regular season generates revenue like the playoffs. I’d bet they can still generate $2B-$2.5B in revenue, compared to $3.3B last year. That would be a hell of a lot to give up over contract term limits and transition rules in one year of a 6-10 year agreement.

In addition, a lost season could have a brutal impact on fan and sponsor support. I’ve seen a few statements from the owners’ side that a lost season could mean at least one team going under. Fans and sponsors weren’t really prepared for a long lockout like they were last time around. And the league has done a TERRIBLE job explaining to the public why they think changes to the system are necessary.

And, most of all, a lost season would mean some really messy legal battles. With no urgency to get a season started, both sides would go full out in the courts. The league could face paying out damages x3 plus the thing they seemed to have feared the most about Fehr, that he’ll go after the cap. The players could face the owners pulling guaranteed contracts off the table, and a lockout that will go well into another season of their short careers.

Egos could always take over, of course, but it would be insane.

Games? There is almost no chance they'll be playing games by Jan 1st. They would probably need an agreement by Friday for that, and they're not even talking. The goal now is probably Jan 11th-ish for an agreement. Which means we might be in for another two weeks or so of these fools waiting each other out. (Which is just so, so stupid at this point. You know you're going to find a compromise, just do it already.)

I don't think I ever posted this, but an interesting piece on Bettman by Friedman

In addition, a lost season could have a brutal impact on fan and sponsor support. I’ve seen a few statements from the owners’ side that a lost season could mean at least one team going under. Fans and sponsors weren’t really prepared for a long lockout like they were last time around. And the league has done a TERRIBLE job explaining to the public why they think changes to the system are necessary.
Curious to know what you think they could/should have done a better job explaining and if you think the system has really changed.

Curious to know what you think they could/should have done a better job explaining and if you think the system has really changed.

Honestly I didn’t follow the lockout last time, so I’m mainly going on what I’ve read this time around, but I certainly get the impression that 1) fans were more prepared for an ugly battle and 2) the owners had more fans on their side, having convinced most that a cap was necessary. (Didn’t the league release financial #s and an audit last time to demonstrate the financial difficulties of the league?) In addition, I read a while back that the sponsors were prepped starting in the summer last time around to warn them to prepare for the potential of a lost season, this time around there weren’t the same preparations.

As far as the system, changed from when? Before the last lockout? Surely it has changed since then, given that player salaries cannot rise above a fixed % of revenues. If there are still problems, fans are going to be less sympathetic this time around given that a season was already lost supposedly to fix the system. I have no suggestions on how they could/should have communicated their issues this time around, mainly because I don’t see how the changes they are proposing are needed. (But maybe I would if the league had made an effort to explain. Issuing financial details would have been a start.)

Games? There is almost no chance they'll be playing games by Jan 1st. They would probably need an agreement by Friday for that, and they're not even talking. The goal now is probably Jan 11th-ish for an agreement. Which means we might be in for another two weeks or so of these fools waiting each other out. (Which is just so, so stupid at this point. You know you're going to find a compromise, just do it already.)

I don't think I ever posted this, but an interesting piece on Bettman by Friedman

Yep. Well aware. I think the season was officially called in February last time around, but I honestly think if there's no hockey being played January 1st, then there won't be at all.

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch
Daly on CBA talks: There is nothing left to give and its clear Don (Fehr) is aiming toward a 'deadline' showdown." #NHL #NHLPA

If you wanted confirmation that this will go down to the wire, there you go. Season starting late January, or no season at all.

@RobRossi_Trib: No talks planned on #NHL end. Growing sense that owners galvanized by recent developments. Sides far apart on key isssues, per league.

Nike taking advantage of the lockout with some troll-y advertising

If the Canadians dgaf, then lord knows they have no chance here in the US.

Personally, I started following hockey 2 years ago, or more precisely before the playoffs started for the 2011 season. I got on board and started following hockey goings on at about the same level as the other major sports. Now, I'm sure I'll just drop back off the bandwagon. Who needs this?

If anyone is looking for some actual, live hockey, team USA is taking on Germany on NHL Network right now! They'll be playing again at 9am tomorrow, against Russia. Schedule: Link

Still no improvement? I hate greed.

I think we have about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks left before the season is called off. The league has expressed no interest in meeting, which makes me think they already think they have the go-ahead to cancel the whole thing. In which case all parties should be ashamed of themselves.

If anyone is looking for some actual, live hockey, team USA is taking on Germany on NHL Network right now! They'll be playing again at 9am tomorrow, against Russia. Schedule: Link

Nice my boy John Gaudreau (Gloucester Catholic HS) with an assist today!

Back