• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Can we go back to the Southeast Division? (I know the 'Canes beat the Blueshits tonight, but still)

The Flyers scored a game-tying goal in the final minute and it was waved off because the refs said that Hartnell pushed Brodeur and the puck over the goal line:

FZBaQpn.gif

Anyone have insight into this? I don't claim any expertise on the rules, but it seems like that ruling would mean that Marty had control of the puck when Hartnell pushed him, when clearly it was... well probably somewhere under Hartnell at the time.

Call me crazy but I think that looks like a kick more than anything.

I'd have to see some other angles. I don't think anyone can call off a goal from that angle you posted, avalon.

I'd have to see some other angles. I don't think anyone can call off a goal from that angle you posted, avalon.

58rbGdX.gif

My0WIUz.gif

Link

I kind of understand it not being overturned given the angles on the replays. I just don't understand the argument that Brodeur was pushed over with the puck.

Good eyes by SND, though, I could see an argument for a kick on that top one.

Oh man, apparently Toronto asked for a review, so it seemed like there was one, but the play wasn't reviewable because of the call:

At 19:20 of the third period in the New Jersey Devils/Philadelphia Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the New Jersey net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Philadelphia's Scott Hartnell pushed goaltender Martin Brodeur across the goal line with the puck. According to Rule 78.5 (ix) "Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save." This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee's call on the ice stands - no penalty and no goal Philadelphia.

Link

Hate you, refs.

Nice Gutsy win for the Stars last night after an emotional 24 hours. Still holding on to the 8th spot.

Agree that it looks more like a kick. Still not as infuriating as the "intent to blow" bs which happens a lot more often.

'Canes had shown some signs of life, then wilt against a good team.

I'M SHOCKED!

It may not mean much in terms of the current state of the teams due to all the Pittsburgh players that are hurt, but sweeping a back-to-back against the Pens sure is nice. The Flyers really live and die by their special teams. In the two games they had three power play goals, kept the Pens' power play quiet, and scored two short-handed.

For 61raddeac:

Why Jim Nill’s Dallas Stars are already an amazing success story

First lines are tough to come by. When Nill arrived, Dallas didn't really have one. They had some decent players, but no real first unit. In a few months, he built one, acquiring Seguin to center it, and drafting Nichushkin to skate on the other wing.

I don't think we realize how easy that was. There are teams in the NHL that spend ages trying to put together a formidable first line -- teams that have one or two decent players, but just can't seem to get it to click into place, to have a unit that's going to win the matchup night after night. And it takes some GMs ages to put their stamp on a team.

Meanwhile, Nill did it in three months. On his first try. Just like that, he gave us Jim Nill's Dallas Stars -- they even came with a fancy new sweater.

It may not mean much in terms of the current state of the teams due to all the Pittsburgh players that are hurt, but sweeping a back-to-back against the Pens sure is nice. The Flyers really live and die by their special teams. In the two games they had three power play goals, kept the Pens' power play quiet, and scored two short-handed.

The special teams are doing work for Washington, too. Caps PP went 2 for 3 tonight against Anaheim, and are something like 10 out of their last 21. Also, the PK stopped 1:50 of a 5v3, and was helped immensely by Halak who is easing into the starter role.

Surprisingly, the Ducks have now lost four in a row at home, and Washington visits the Kings on Thursday who have lost three in a row at home themselves. The Cali trip ends Saturday in San Jose where the Caps last won in...yep, 1993.

Back