• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

wj0HgvO.gif

Jets with a big blow to the Coyotes playoff chances. Apropos

Saving money on playoff tickets this year. You would think that missing the playoffs will finally force Teddy to totally remake the roster, right? Ovi, Backstorm, Halak and Kosy stay. Everyone else is fair game.

The Wings and BJs are in great shape for making the final 16.

Detroit 84 points, 7 games remaining, 83.7% to make playoffs (odds found here)
Columbus 83 points, 7 games remaining, 80.5% to make playoffs
--
Toronto 82 points, 5 games remaining, 8.5% to make playoffs
Washington 81 points, 6 games remaining, 8% to make playoffs
New Jersey 80 points, 6 games remaining, 15.6% to make playoffs
Ottawa 78 points, 7 games remaining, 3.6% to make playoffs

There are only three head-to-head games left between these clubs, and they're all between squads on the outside looking in. Washington plays at New Jersey on Friday, the Devils visit the Sens next Thursday, and Toronto plays at Ottawa near the end of the season.

Saving money on playoff tickets this year. You would think that missing the playoffs will finally force Teddy to totally remake the roster, right? Ovi, Backstorm, Halak and Kosy stay. Everyone else is fair game.

Yeah, I think not getting in is in the Caps' best interest moving forward.

CBJ did have a pretty big chokejob last night blowing a 2-0 lead in the 3rd period, though they still got a point out of it

Strong game last night by the Jackets. Columbus was victimzed by three pucks getting past Bob off the skates of their own players.

On to Philly. Big game for both teams.

Boston is completely outplaying Detroit, but the Wings are 20 minutes from picking up another point. Detroit's two games in hand going into tonight are a huge help, and their schedule isn't terrible down the stretch. Yeah, they have Boston tonight and the Pens and Blues next week, but they also have two against Buffalo, one against Montreal and one vs the Canes. Datsyuk should be back soon as well. Don't think they will have much of a chance to advance, but who knows.

Last edited:
Nyquist worked his magic again and the Wings got a huge 2 points over Boston. So much better than worrying about Wake's new coach.

Gustav Nyquist heard you hinting that the Red Wings may get just one point out of the game and he was not amused. Those two points give Detroit a nice cushion in the battle for "anyone but Boston in the first round."

Edit: you're too fast for me!

Josh Harding is back at practice

That would be a great story if he could come back for the playoffs.

A little bit of action tonight as far as playoffs, with Columbus taking on Philly in an attempt to keep up with Detroit, Toronto trying to keep the dream alive against Boston, and Dallas trying to take advantage of their games in hand over Phoenix in a game against Carolina.

Feasibly, Columbus could still catch Philly for the third spot in the Metro, especially if they hold on for the win tonight. Detroit needs 7 points in their last 6 games to lock up a playoff spot, with each Caps loss making it less. Toronto is winning, but only has 4 games left after tonight, which still puts with a better potential point total. Lots of excitement these last two weeks.

Also, the Islanders will be eliminated tonight with a point by Columbus.

Last edited:
Congrats to Winston-Salem native Ben Smith, who just scored his 11th goal of the season for Chicago. I had no idea there was anyone from Winston in the NHL.

The Best Possible NHL First-Round Matchups — Ranked!

Sharks / Kings is a hell of a first round matchup.

The Flyers falling to the first wildcard wouldn't be the worst thing, but I want no part of the Bruins in the first round. Better remember how to score, and fast.

Luckily their next game is against... the Bruins. Shoot.

This one would certainly have the novelty factor going for it; the two teams have not met in a playoff series in more than half a century. That would be the 1956-57 semifinals, in which Milt Schmidt and the Bruins upset Gordie Howe and the top-seeded Red Wings in five games. It was a great series, according to Daniel Alfredsson, who had just completed his rookie season at the time.

Lol

I laughed pretty hard at this line:

Besides, who wouldn’t want to watch a series that prominently featured the undisputed best player in the entire league? (And when Gustav Nyquist wasn’t on the ice, we could still watch Sidney Crosby.)

http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...ates-yes-or-yes-or-no-but-cmon-yes/#more-6478

Pretty damning read about the Caps and Oates this season. Not a fan, but it was eye-opening considering what I already knew about the Erat/Neuvirth deals.

That is … thorough. Yikes:

Even for amateurs like me, there are mountains of data available to define those problems and suggest their solutions. To a professional team with an analytics budget, there’s even more.

And yet, Adam Oates has revealed himself to be an anti-intellectual dilettante when it comes to analytics– to an extent that I think he’s no longer capable of performing his job competently.

The Caps are toast. No early playoff flameouts this year.

I have the fantasy playoffs, and I'm still uber excited about the SCP. Not sure who I am adopting just yet.

The Caps are toast. No early playoff flameouts this year.

I have the fantasy playoffs, and I'm still uber excited about the SCP. Not sure who I am adopting just yet.

I am actually ok with us not going for two reasons. 1) I save money. 2) The team will finally get blown up...something that should have happened two years ago. Ovi, Backstorm, Kuzy and Halak stay. Open season on every one else. Cut or take any reasonable offer.

Back