• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 U.S. Open Contest - CORRECTION: matt wins!

The USGA can deny it all day long, but this is just like last time at Shinnecock. If I were a member, I’d be pissed at what the USGA turns my course into in front of the whole golfing world.

Yeah, Merion is/was so much better a test than this. Why not adequately water the course and cut the greens at a 12 with tighter fairways, rather than make the fairways wide enough to land a 787 on, dry the course out to where the grass is literally dying, and cut the greens at a 13?

Coore/Crenshaw tracks are cool, and everyone seems to love them these days, but give me a traditional U.S. open course and setup 100% of the time.

God certainly watered Merion a lot that week. I think what Davis also did there to make the scores higher was he really hid pins on the gettable holes all week - more so than usual. I don't mind the course set-up here. Scores were already plenty high enough. They just had to err on the side of caution because wind speed is not entirely predictable, but instead they threw caution to the wind. I mean, so what if DJ wins at -8, and maybe 2-3 others are in red numbers. That type of scoring is more than acceptable given the really low numbers at Congressional and Erin Hills because they were soft with no wind. I think this is the first time Davis has erred on the wrong side, and he couldn't have picked a worse place to do that.

The USGA can deny it all day long, but this is just like last time at Shinnecock. If I were a member, I’d be pissed at what the USGA turns my course into in front of the whole golfing world.

Shinnecock members and staff were plenty pissed the last time and had a grudge for years, not just because of what the USGA did to their course the last 2 days, but also because David Fay the the USGA set-up guy didn't accept the blame and tried to deflect it onto the Shinnecock staff. At least this time, the USGA is owning up to it.

Are the fans yelling more than I have ever heard or is it the coverage of FOX? I like the microphones in the cup, makes it sound like golden tee. :thumbsup:

Watching the pairing of DJ and Koepka today. Both of these guys are big, strong, tall athletes that could be successful in a variety of sports. When you look at the athleticism of golfers today vs years past, you can see why these guys are overpowering a lot of courses. Of course, technology advances in equipment helps too.
That being said, the course won yesterday.

deacondamo wins by 4 (DJ, JT, Brooks, The Hoff, RCD and Xander).

Only 5 people (of 52) selected Brooks at 20 points, (and 2 of those teams missed the cut).

Place Entrant Low 4 Bonus Total
1 deacondamo 21 -6 15
2 matt 24 -5 19
3 Hogie 21 -1 20
3 VegasJethro 25 -5 20
3 liveanddiedeac 23 -3 20
6 mebanedeac 23 -1 22
7 DadBerg 24 -1 23
7 aocs3281 24 -1 23
7 MrsBojangles 24 -1 23
10 cville deac 25 -1 24
10 Jen 25 -1 24
12 PostalDeac 28 -3 25
12 Les Grossman 28 -3 25
12 deac29 26 -1 25
15 nomadic 27 -1 26
16 BallerDeac 28 -1 27
17 DeacdeTejas 28 - 28
18 CarlosBerg 31 -1 30
19 CDeacMan 31 - 31
19 mattsdad 31 - 31
19 TheReff 32 -1 31
22 CDeacManBro 32 - 32
23 MomBerg 33 - 33
23 Dekin 34 -1 33
23 Presideac 34 -1 33
26 RJKarl 35 -1 34
27 bobknightfan 38 -3 35
27 oldschooldeac 36 -1 35
29 MrBojanglesDad 36 - 36
29 SwissChaletDeac 37 -1 36
31 texasdeac 39 -1 38
31 1834 39 -1 38
33 Sleepy 39 - 39
33 Satan 40 -1 39
35 ChicdeaC 40 - 40
35 HTTD 41 -1 40
37 morrison2951 41 - 41
37 ABCDeac 41 - 41
39 Partree 42 - 42
40 Fayettenam 44 -1 43
41 Pilchard 48 - 48
42 PhonsoINT 52 -1 51
43 WakeForest Fan CUT CUT CUT
43 Tex98 CUT CUT CUT
43 High Right CUT CUT CUT
43 Coach O CUT CUT CUT
43 GSOWakeFan CUT CUT CUT
43 SCDeac CUT CUT CUT
43 MrBojangles CUT CUT CUT
43 DCDeac CUT CUT CUT
43 MrBojanglesSon CUT CUT CUT
43 YDIW CUT CUT CUT

Course was perfect from start to finish today. Wonder who would have own if all four rounds had been that way.

Probably Koepka, to be fair, so in the end it did work out. USGA has to be breathing a sigh of relief that Finau or Berger didn't pull it out, there'd be a bunch of asterisk talk. Just a rock solid tournament by Koepka.

Fox coverage still abysmal outside the techie touches. The Zinger/Buck combo almost makes me hate the entire tournament, and the horrible music makes it even worse. That post-round interview guy who couldn't spit out a comprehensible sentence at any point was next-level brutal. Where do they find these people?

Course was perfect from start to finish today. Wonder who would have own if all four rounds had been that way.

Probably Koepka, to be fair, so in the end it did work out. USGA has to be breathing a sigh of relief that Finau or Berger didn't pull it out, there'd be a bunch of asterisk talk. Just a rock solid tournament by Koepka.

Fox coverage still abysmal outside the techie touches. The Zinger/Buck combo almost makes me hate the entire tournament, and the horrible music makes it even worse. That post-round interview guy who couldn't spit out a comprehensible sentence at any point was next-level brutal. Where do they find these people?

Yeah, I'm fine with Koepka winning. He putted well on the weekend, while DJ couldn't putt the last 2 days after he was putting out of his ass the 1st 2 days. The slower greens didn't result in many low rounds yesterday outside of Fleetwood playing out of his mind. Which again begs the question as to why Davis and the USGA would put the course on the borderline on Saturday when only 1 guy was under par. Mind numbing. As for Fleetwood, he's becoming 1 of my favorite players. In addition to his play, he gave a great interview afterwards where he said he enjoyed watching Koepka play great down the stretch despite that meaning he missed out on a playoff. He really comes across as a down to earth and nice guy.

The Phil situation was getting a lot of play on the morning shows today. From what Beef and the rules guy with the group had to say about what Phil said to them immediately after 13, they made it sound like Phil didn't know what the exact penalty was. Which made a liar out of Phil for his bizarre story after the round saying he knew he was getting the 2 stroke penalty and did what he did knowingly. Which, if true, made the story way worse than if he would have heeded Kevin Costner's advice to learn his cliches and said something like "I'm sorry for what I did - I was frustrated and just snapped". He even brought up 1 of the 2 holes where you'd think about doing something like that - 15 at Augusta. I also thought about 13 at Augusta where Tiger putted it off the green and into the creed a few years ago. Can you imagine someone putting or chipping too hard on 1 of those 2 holes and running down to hit it back toward the hole before it went in the water?!? How the eff did Phil think what he actually said, which probably turned out not to be true, was better than apologizing and saying he just did something out of frustration?

Agree about Buck and Azinger. Didn't like or dislike him as a player, but I really can't stand him now. And is it just me or are those NY golf crowds the rudest golf crowds around?

The crowds were ridiculous. So many yells after shots it just got meshed into one horrible "babbabooey-mashed potatoes-get in the hole". And Fox having to white noise out f-bombs every 20 seconds made it seem pretty bush league, too.

Heard some talk radio guys saying that the combo of course issues, awful Fox coverage, and crowd control are quickly putting the U.S. Open in danger of becoming the worst of the 4 majors. I think it'll always be #2 on this side of the pond, but it's really not that hot of a take.

Back