• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 U.S. Open Contest - CORRECTION: matt wins!

I feel like they’ve borderline lost the course. I love watching carnage out there, but this seems kinda unfair. The greens are not supposed to be that color, I’m pretty sure... crazy that they aired a special on the course agronomy team who insisted that 2004 could never happen again. This is pretty close.

I feel like they’ve borderline lost the course. I love watching carnage out there, but this seems kinda unfair. The greens are not supposed to be that color, I’m pretty sure... crazy that they aired a special on the course agronomy team who insisted that 2004 could never happen again. This is pretty close.

Agree.
Some of the balls that just keep rolling and rolling and rolling off the green after good shots doesn't seem fair.

Don't think anyone's mentioned Webb, but he's only 6 shots behind.

Given the scores last time, what do you think the winning raw score (just the players' numbers) for our contest will be?

I think it could be +10 and may approach +15.

I would take +25 and stay in the clubhouse.

Kudos to Mike Davis for coming on and admitting the course got away from them due to windier than expected conditions. That's a far cry from the USGA folks last time blaming the rogue Shinnecock staff for creating the problems. Wasn't David Fay the ass who came up with that theory?

Hogie leads after Saturday with 3 of the co-leaders: DJ, Rose, Rahm, Finau, Thornberry and Berger.

Place Entrant Low 4 Bonus Total
1 Hogie 13 -11 2
2 mebanedeac 18 -8 10
3 deacondamo 21 -8 13
3 cville deac 18 -5 13
3 Jen 18 -5 13
3 matt 21 -8 13
7 aocs3281 19 -5 14
8 MrsBojangles 21 -5 16
8 deac29 21 -5 16
10 DadBerg 25 -8 17
11 VegasJethro 23 -5 18
11 CDeacMan 23 -5 18
11 DeacdeTejas 23 -5 18
14 BallerDeac 25 -5 20
14 nomadic 25 -5 20
16 Dekin 26 -5 21
16 RJKarl 26 -5 21
16 TheReff 26 -5 21
16 Sleepy 26 -5 21
20 texasdeac 30 -5 25
21 liveanddiedeac 26 - 26
21 CarlosBerg 31 -5 26
21 mattsdad 26 - 26
24 CDeacManBro 27 - 27
25 oldschooldeac 33 -5 28
26 MomBerg 29 - 29
27 PostalDeac 30 - 30
27 Fayettenam 35 -5 30
29 SwissChaletDeac 36 -5 31
29 1834 36 -5 31
29 HTTD 36 -5 31
29 bobknightfan 31 - 31
29 morrison2951 31 - 31
34 Partree 32 - 32
35 Presideac 39 -5 34
36 Satan 40 -5 35
37 ABCDeac 36 - 36
37 MrBojanglesDad 36 - 36
39 Les Grossman 37 - 37
39 PhonsoINT 42 -5 37
41 Pilchard 45 - 45
42 ChicdeaC 46 - 46
43 WakeForest Fan CUT CUT CUT
43 Coach O CUT CUT CUT
43 High Right CUT CUT CUT
43 Tex98 CUT CUT CUT
43 GSOWakeFan CUT CUT CUT
43 SCDeac CUT CUT CUT
43 DCDeac CUT CUT CUT
43 MrBojangles CUT CUT CUT
43 MrBojanglesSon CUT CUT CUT
43 YDIW CUT CUT CUT

Kudos to Mike Davis for coming on and admitting the course got away from them due to windier than expected conditions. That's a far cry from the USGA folks last time blaming the rogue Shinnecock staff for creating the problems. Wasn't David Fay the ass who came up with that theory?

Seems like the USGA should always err on the side of playability. They push it to the iimit based on what they think will happen, and then every once in a while the wind/weather ends up worse than they thought, and they end up shrugging their shoulders and saying "sorry, it wasn't supposed to be this bad." They need to build in a buffer, so the worst case scenario stills ends up OK. If the conditions end up better than expected, then its not the end of the world if the leader shoots a few more under par than they were hoping for.

Casual golf fan here. Is this supposed to be entertaining?

The thing I usually have to remind myself about the U.S. Open each year is that par is a good score. So casual fans might not be as interested to watch it as opposed to say the Masters where the winner is always around -15. I would kind of think being there in person wouldn’t be that great because you’re just watching dudes struggle rather than it being a showcase of what they can do on a more typical course.

Under these kind of conditions, it really comes down to who can make the most 5 footers for par.

The thing I usually have to remind myself about the U.S. Open each year is that par is a good score. So casual fans might not be as interested to watch it as opposed to say the Masters where the winner is always around -15. I would kind of think being there in person wouldn’t be that great because you’re just watching dudes struggle rather than it being a showcase of what they can do on a more typical course.

I don't disagree but, as was said earlier in the thread, good shots onto the green ought be penalized by running 125 feet past the hole. It becomes more like mini golf than real golf.

Infuriating day, again, at a US Open. I like Finau and Berger, but it's ridiculous that they are in the lead group. They played a completely different golf course than Dustin Johnson and the rest of the leaders. You can argue all day about whether the greens are too difficult, rough too long, etc - but the tag line is always "everyone plays the same golf course so quit bitching." Well that's not the case here, and that's the real problem. Stenson, Rose, DJ, and Keopka are playing far, far better golf than anyone else in the field, but none are in the final group. Back up a few more spots and it's an even bigger joke - Furyk, Aphibarnrat are in the final 5 groups with a shot to win this? Forget losing the course, the USGA has lost the ability to identify the best player due to how they set the course up.

And if they have to over-water the morning and lose the course again in the afternoon, you've got 30 guys under +10 that have a shot. Watch someone shoot 64 in the morning and end up winning as the leaders play on cement.

I still don't understand why they think the only way to make a golf course hard is to make it rock hard and kill the greens. 3 woods hit these fairways and roll out 100 yards. Guys are hitting long irons on 485 yard holes because they're playing like 350 yard holes. Fairways are wider than 90% of the courses you'd see in the wild. It's like Merion didn't teach them anything. Hopefully they get it right today, but even if they do plenty of damage has been done.

Agree that the damage has been done, but it will be forgotten to an extent as long as 1 of Koepka, DJ, Rose or Stenson wins it. If someone else wins it, it'll be like the Ryu asterisk "win" at last year's ANA because of Lexi's 4 shot penalty. It's kinda crazy, and I like Finau, Berger and Aphibarnrat too (picked him on my team), but it's almost like they're better off not winning it.

Yeah, Merion is/was so much better a test than this. Why not adequately water the course and cut the greens at a 12 with tighter fairways, rather than make the fairways wide enough to land a 787 on, dry the course out to where the grass is literally dying, and cut the greens at a 13?

Coore/Crenshaw tracks are cool, and everyone seems to love them these days, but give me a traditional U.S. open course and setup 100% of the time.

Of course when I have two players tied for first I miss the cut because of top 10 players in the world sucking shit (rahm and spieth)

Back