• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I completely disagree. And frankly, it infuriates me when I hear Wake fans with this attitude. Primarily because it's wrong. Wake is a far better job than a lot of our fans give us credit for. If Wake Forest (and I'm not just talking about athletics) were as bad as some of our own fans think we are, we'd have been kicked out of the ACC years ago. Most schools have fans who walk around with rose-colored glasses on. Ours walk around wearing shit-covered glasses.

This is a great post.

Same. Probably slightly better than Odom, but about the same. I'm disappointed for Tech. What it says is VT has the $$ but couldn't entice guys like Cronin, Willard and Wojo.

Didn't Buzz prove that the VT job is whatever you can make of it? He may have reached the ceiling but being in the Dance three years in a row with a Sweet Sixteen run is not shabby. Most VT fans would be thrilled with that, as would most Wake fans.

I completely disagree. And frankly, it infuriates me when I hear Wake fans with this attitude. Primarily because it's wrong. Wake is a far better job than a lot of our fans give us credit for. If Wake Forest (and I'm not just talking about athletics) were as bad as some of our own fans think we are, we'd have been kicked out of the ACC years ago. Most schools have fans who walk around with rose-colored glasses on. Ours walk around wearing shit-covered glasses.

We just built some of the nicest facilities in the country and raised a bunch of "legacy" money during the worst period of basketball that most can remember. It's absurd to suggest Wake is a bad job. Wellman and his need to micromange the "culture" of our program is the ONLY thing that made the job bad. That witch is dead. If Currie will hire a competent coach and get the hell out of the way, the sky is the limit.

Last edited:

I think the vast majority of people posting on this board agree with you, ATL. I happen to agree more with Kitchin. The next coach has a massive job in front of him.

The next coach does have a hill to climb, but it's very doable.

I have no information either way, but I think Barnes is going to UCLA.

I understand why you'd flirt in order to get a better deal, but this feels like something more. I wonder if Barnes just wants to tell fat Phil to go fuck himself after how he bullied his way into the AD role?

Could just be the UF fan in me hoping for the worse for the Vols... But I have a hunch he's going to take the gig in LA.

I'm sure his housing costs can be negotiated, but the taxes aren't negotiable. If Fulmer offers Barnes about $4.5M, the coach will make more than the $5M would net in CA.

"Personal income tax. The Tennessee income tax does not apply to salaries and wages, but most income from stocks, bonds and notes receivable is taxable at a flat rate of 6%. The first $1,250 in taxable income received by a single filer is exempt."

But he’d be living in LA instead of Knoxville.

Seeing Barnes is blue and gold ties would be very weird.

Man, Barnes is going to feel really bad if he has his proportionate representation reduced by moving to California.

In Manning's defense the Wake program has been really unlucky with players leaving the program early, transfers into the program not working out, Wake's recruits not being ACC caliber players, Wake's defense being terrible, Wake's offense being awful, and the other coaches in the ACC being much better than Manning. Manning's results at Wake would have been much better if Wake had been more lucky.

Unlucky? Those are part of the job and are all on manning. There is no defending the facts of the current situation and the results speak for themselves.

One thing on Barnes mind might be that TN could've peaked this year. They had a great season (31-6), but they had two senior starters in Schofield and Alexander. PG Jordan Bone declared for the draft and Grant Williams might. They had no depth last year (no freshman class). They are bringing in one stud (#16 Josiah Jordan James), but otherwise the Vol recruits are projects. If Barnes has any designs on leaving TN, this would be the year to do it as he is getting older, and they look to be fading back to the middle of the SEC pack over the next couple of years.

Barnes is 64

I wonder how much longer he'll coach

UCLA would really kill his career jersey color pattern

Back