• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Somewhat meaningless stat, but 17 seasons as a head coach and Anderson has never been sub-.500.

That’s not bad.

Seems like a low risk / low reward hire.

Yeah. He’s one of those guys that seem like a weird pick until you look at the numbers and see he’s a pretty good choice to right a ship.

Somewhat meaningless stat, but 17 seasons as a head coach and Anderson has never been sub-.500.

That’s not bad.

Seems like a low risk / low reward hire.

There are 5 coaches in NCAA history that have at least 15+ season of .500 ball or better and Anderson is one of them. Few, Izzo, Boeheim, and Roy are the others. I'd take Anderson in a second.

Yeah I don’t get the complete hate for Mike Anderson. I get the lack of northeast ties but he is a solid ass coach. He won’t win national titles at St. John’s but frankly, no one is. He’s a million times the coach that any of St. John’s coaches have been since Jarvis. I mean did people watch St. John’s play in game or over the past couple years? This year and last they had top 4 of the big east talent , and never finished higher than 7 (this year). In 17-18 they practically had this years team (minus Herron) but also had Tariq Owens (big man on Texas tech) and finished under 500. He will do solid to have them make the tourney every couple of years.

I grew up a St. John's fan, so I say this with a personal connection to the program...fuck Mike Jarvis.

Yeah, the Anderson hate is, ugh, a little strong. Turn your nose up at Anderson but talk up Ryan Odom. Lol.

In coaching related news, Scott Woodward moves from AD at Texas A&M to AD at LSU. He had been at A&M only two years. He is an LSU grad and grew up in Louisiana.

Is it going to be a good thing or a bad thing for whoever is the new TAMU AD to be "stuck with" Buzz and Jimbo and their generous contracts? Time will tell.

There are 5 coaches in NCAA history that have at least 15+ season of .500 ball or better and Anderson is one of them. Few, Izzo, Boeheim, and Roy are the others. I'd take Anderson in a second.

This isn't close to being accurate. Here are a few more:

Gregg Marshall
John wooden
Denny Crum
Lute Olsen
Bill Self
Fran Dunphy
Jay Wright
John Calipari

Those are just a few off the top of my head. There are probably a couple dozen more.

Maybe it was 15 consecutive?

Though Self's surely done that by now

Two of Anderson's seasons are exactly .500.

His record in P6 conferences include 7 .500 +; 2 .500 and 4 under .500.

Sorry, his record is mediocre at best. It's certainly not historic. I'd pass on him.

This isn't close to being accurate. Here are a few more:

Gregg Marshall
John wooden
Denny Crum
Lute Olsen
Bill Self
Fran Dunphy
Jay Wright
John Calipari

Those are just a few off the top of my head. There are probably a couple dozen more.

Maybe it was 15 consecutive?

Though Self's surely done that by now

the stat is: active coaches (NOT all-time...active) with 15+ years with no season below .500

Self and K had sub-.500 seasons way back when

If you look at Anderson's actual results, they are a little above average not historically good as the OP alluded.

St. John's used to be a good team, but NYC isn't putting out as many great players as it did when the team was good. Given that St.John's doesn't have a national draw, it's a tough job.

What a stupid stat that is. And BTW, Boheim has had two sub .500 seasons.

retrospectively, according to the NCAA, yes

he did walk off the court having won more games than he lost in every season as a head coach

by the way, why start K's streak after 1994-95? K went 9-3 that year. Pretty solid!

Last edited:
K's last official losing season was '82-'83. Then he sold his soul to Lucifer and the rest is history.

Back