• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I wonder if there is a broader point to be made with these prolonged coaching searches (UCLA, St. John's)... Is it as simple as the Pac 12 and Big East not being as desirable as the real P4 conferences?

Or is there more to it than that? Or maybe there is no narrative.

I mean, VT made an underwhelming hire, as well... But I don't know that they whiffed on a bunch of candidates.

Hoping Currie is able to hire someone impressive when Manning is finally dismissed, but always have worries in the back of my head that we'll end up w/ Wes Miller or Ryan Odom. Not that those guys would suck for sure, but would definitely be underwhelming.

Can't wait for currie to target also rans from this seasons carousel.

I said previously that St. John's is just a bad job. It's more like the Buffalo job than the Syracuse job.
You're right.
Also...
If Cuse whiffs it up when they finally have to replace Boeheim, Cuse could easily become more like St.Johns than Buffalo.

I said previously that St. John's is just a bad job. It's more like the Buffalo job than the Syracuse job.

St. John’s has the 9th most wins of all college basketball programs and until the late 90’s they were in the top 5 but have fallen off a cliff since Lou Carnesecca retired.

St. John's search seems like a complete shit show. Makes me somewhat happy that our basketball program isn't the only circus in town.

Name out there now with St. John's is.....Paul Hewitt.

Someone on the Coaching Changes twitter is convinced that anyone who doesn't think it's the best idea ever is a racist. But then they also think the only reason GT fans wanted him out is because they are racist. In 11 seasons he had exactly 1 winning ACC record.

Anderson does seem like an odd fit, but he deserves another job -- he did great work at UAB and Mizzou, just couldn't get over the hump at Arkansas. If they'd held on vs. UNC two years ago when they had them on the ropes the story of his tenure there would be quite different

Anderson does seem like an odd fit, but he deserves another job -- he did great work at UAB and Mizzou, just couldn't get over the hump at Arkansas. If they'd held on vs. UNC two years ago when they had them on the ropes the story of his tenure there would be quite different

Yes - feels like he would have been squarely on Currie's radar. Fits the Bruce Weber profile.

Why? Currie's picks at TN and KSU were solid. Anderson would not be.

He hires guys with power conference experience who are available, either because the program is higher profile (Leach, Doeren) or because they are not currently in a head coaching job (Schiano, Weber)

Why was Bruce Weber solid if Mike Anderson would not be? I don't think that's really a defensible position. At Illinois, Weber took over a national championship contender and went 0.675 over his tenure (and 0.615 excluding the first two years with Self's players). At Missouri, Anderson took over a program on probation that had a losing record the year prior and went 0.661. At Arkansas, Anderson took over a program that went 0.536-0.539 under the previous two coaches and went 0.624. Furthermore, they are similar ages and both have reps of running clean programs.

ETA - national championship contender is perhaps a little strong, but Illinois was certainly in much better shape when Weber took over than Missouri or Arkansas were when Anderson took over.

Last edited:
Anderson also left Mizzou in a fantastic position when he left -- the next year they won the Big 12 and were a 2 seed in the tourney, where they granted got Kyle O'Quinn'd

Anderson also left Mizzou in a fantastic position when he left -- the next year they won the Big 12 and were a 2 seed in the tourney, where they granted got Kyle O'Quinn'd

And that's with Haith, who is well established as not being a great coach.

In coaching related news, Scott Woodward moves from AD at Texas A&M to AD at LSU. He had been at A&M only two years. He is an LSU grad and grew up in Louisiana.

Yeah I don’t get the complete hate for Mike Anderson. I get the lack of northeast ties but he is a solid ass coach. He won’t win national titles at St. John’s but frankly, no one is. He’s a million times the coach that any of St. John’s coaches have been since Jarvis. I mean did people watch St. John’s play in game or over the past couple years? This year and last they had top 4 of the big east talent , and never finished higher than 7 (this year). In 17-18 they practically had this years team (minus Herron) but also had Tariq Owens (big man on Texas tech) and finished under 500. He will do solid to have them make the tourney every couple of years.

Back