• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Wow can’t imagine many Michigan fans would even be that excited about Cooley. Getting turned down must sting.

And no one here was enthusiastic when I suggested Cooley as a possible replacement for Manning. It would be great to see Battle be able to use Providence as a springboard to get back to Wake.

Remember when Cooley would have turned us down as a replacement ofrManning ?

Snark away, but we actually have no idea if Cooley would turn Wake down.

Turning Michigan down means nothing in relation to our hypothetical job opening.

All it really means is one of our potential replacement targets is still on the board for if and when we FINALLY move on from Mannikin.

Would that have been equivalent to the Seton Hall coach rejecting VT? Cooley is a native of the Providence area so it would not have been a surprise if he turned Wake down. I just thought he would make a better replacement for Manning than some other names being debated here.

Hardaway, Stackhouse, and Howard. I guess prior P6 head coaching experience is now over-rated.

or Dan Majerle!

love this from Wikipedia:

Majerle also appears sporadically throughout the NBA 2K franchise.

Not to mention Pat Ewing and Chris Mullin!

And Avery Johnson, although he at least had NBA HC experience. If Tony Bennett leaves UVA in the near future, I can see Rick Carlisle being mentioned as a possible replacement.

And Avery Johnson, although he at least had NBA HC experience. If Tony Bennett leaves UVA in the near future, I can see Rick Carlisle being mentioned as a possible replacement.

Like on a list of people who would never take the job? He is paid well in Dallas, has a very safe job, and one of the most exciting young players in the league. Why in the world would he leave for the UVA job?

Two of the most exciting players now. Ridiculous assertion unless he gets fired. The West is going to be ever tougher next season. There’s a good reason why every team who didn’t make the playoffs should be better except the Suns.

I'm kinda surprised Juwan Howard is about to take the UM job as he has been a really hot NBA assistant. I was kinda surprised he didn't get a gig this year. I thought the same about Stackhouse.

His basketball IQ has been a cornerstone of his career and he seems to relate to players well. But the NBA is different than college.

I get his ties and legend status in Ann Arbor, but it surprises me that he wants to recruit, etc.

Michigan has offered Howard.

Last edited:
Like on a list of people who would never take the job? He is paid well in Dallas, has a very safe job, and one of the most exciting young players in the league. Why in the world would he leave for the UVA job?

I never said he'd be interested in the job, only that he'd be mentioned (being an alum). The arrogance of the Wahoos would cause them to wonder why any alum would not want to return to C-ville.

Was he mentioned when Tony Bennett was hired? I don't remember.

Nothing against Juwan... No idea how he’ll do. Just think it’s crazy for a program at that level to hire someone with zero head coaching experience.

Who did they hire him over?

Was he mentioned when Tony Bennett was hired? I don't remember.

I don't remember either and couldn't find anything with a quick search. If Carlisle would be interested this time, it's likely because the program Bennett would leave behind is so much better than the one he inherited.

Back