• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I don't "hate" Howland. Not liking someone or thinking he's not a good choice doesn't equal "hate".

As to one-sided, which part isn't true?

I didn't even mention how badly his tenure at UCLA ended.

Couldn't edit the original post.

I don't "hate" Howland. Not liking someone or thinking he's a good choice doesn't equal "hate".

As to one-sided, which part isn't true?

I didn't even mention how badly his tenure at UCLA ended.

One-side <> not true.

While you mentioned has gone 0.444 in conference, you don't mention that the coach before him went 0.353 or that he has gone 0.528 over the past two years. No reasonable analysis of Howland's record suggests that the game has passed him by. If that was true, his record at Mississippi State would be getting worse, but it isn't because he just coached them to their best SEC record since 2008. And this past season was the strongest for the SEC since probably 2006.

His tenure at UCLA ended with conference championship.

BTW, Howland was another coach that RJ thought was a worse candidate than Danny Manning. Howland's low point for accumulated conference record was 0.361, after his second season. Manning's high point was 0.296 after season 3.

Last edited:
LaVall Jordan from Butler will surely get a look at the Michigan job. He was Beilein's top assistant before taking over at Butler.

BTW, Howland was another coach that RJ thought was a worse candidate than Danny Manning. Howland's low point for accumulated conference record was 0.361, after his second season. Manning's high point was 0.296 after season 3.

That's assuming Howland would have gotten the same level of recruits at Wake that he got from keeping an ace local recruiter at MS State.

This choice ls like asking, "Would you rather be executed by a firing squad or lethal injection?"

The biggest difference at the time was Howland's best days were behind him and Manning had some success and appeared to on his way. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

LaVall Jordan from Butler will surely get a look at the Michigan job. He was Beilein's top assistant before taking over at Butler.

As I mentioned earlier, Juwan Howard is a hot NBA coaching candidate. He will be interviewed by the T'wolves for their job in the next few days.

http://https://t.co/7vlM2boWWi?amp=1

Link to odds for next Michigan coach:

- Billy Donovan +350
- Bobby Hurley +500
- Juwann Howard +300
- Mike White +500
- Kevin Keatts +700
- Shaka Smart +700
- Brad Stevens +1200
- LaVall Jordan +1000
- Luke Yaklich +1000
- Saddi Washington +1000

Danny Manning not on the board.

That's assuming Howland would have gotten the same level of recruits at Wake that he got from keeping an ace local recruiter at MS State.

This choice ls like asking, "Would you rather be executed by a firing squad or lethal injection?"

The biggest difference at the time was Howland's best days were behind him and Manning had some success and appeared to on his way. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

Or you could just say, “I was wrong about Ben Howland.”

It’s not difficult.

Continuing to argue after your position has been proven wrong just perpetuates your reputation for being an enemy of logic.

Or you could just say, “I was wrong about Ben Howland.”

It’s not difficult.

Continuing to argue after your position has been proven wrong just perpetuates your reputation for being an enemy of logic.

I don't believe Ben Howland would have done well here. He didn't have an ace local recruiter waiting at Wake.

As I stated, Danny failed and I've stated I was wrong about him, but that doesn't mean I think Howland would have done well here. I don't.

I don't believe Ben Howland would have done well here. He didn't have an ace local recruiter waiting at Wake.

As I stated, Danny failed and I've stated I was wrong about him, but that doesn't mean I think Howland would have done well here. I don't.

I can live with that.

Credit to Howland for having an "ace local recruiter"... Success is success, and he's done a good job at MSU so far.

Agree that there is no guarantee Howland would have been successful here, but I'm pretty sure he'd be doing better than Manning is.

He kept a guy from the former coach who had a number of local players already signed. If he hadn't stayed, he could have lost those guys. This year he has no one in ESPN's Top 100 or Rivals' Top 150.

Interesting. That could line up Battle to be the head cheese at Providence.

And no one here was enthusiastic when I suggested Cooley as a possible replacement for Manning. It would be great to see Battle be able to use Providence as a springboard to get back to Wake.

And no one here was enthusiastic when I suggested Cooley as a possible replacement for Manning. It would be great to see Battle be able to use Providence as a springboard to get back to Wake.

I still would be unimpressed by a Cooley hire, here or Michigan.

Cooley seems like an unexciting, but relatively safe hire.

I don't think he has a ton of upside, but I feel pretty strongly like he also wouldn't be a disaster.

Michigan should aim higher... But they might be having issues given the timing of this coaching search.

Cooley seems like an unexciting, but relatively safe hire.

I don't think he has a ton of upside, but I feel pretty strongly like he also wouldn't be a disaster.

Michigan should aim higher... But they might be having issues given the timing of this coaching search.

I was going to say the same thing because his results have felt pretty middling, but turns out he has a better record there than Rick Barnes did and than Beilein had at WVU (albeit Beilein had considerably more post season success).

ETA - hard to imagine anyone will have the level of success Beilein had at Michigan though.

Last edited:
Back