• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

Ga Tech has a 4 or 5 win season staring them in the face if they don't get things turned around quickly. Already have road losses to USF and Pitt, with Clemson coming in on Saturday.

Before the loss to Pitt, I think S&P+ had GT winning every game left on their schedule aside from UGA & Clemson. Not sure where that projection is now, but I'd be shocked if they don't go to a bowl. 1-3 start likely, but could then run 8 in a row (or at least 6-7 of them). I think 7-5 is most likely scenario.

While the ACC has certainly struggled, how is the Big 10 third?

Last Saturday:

Northwestern lost to Akron
Maryland lost to Temple
Nebraska lost to Troy
Wisky lost to BYU
Rutgers lost to Kansas (blowout)
Purdue lost to Missouri
Illinois lost to USF

I believe that broke an NCAA record for a most OOC losses by a Power V conference team in one weekend. Of the 7 losses, the Big 10 team was a double digit favorite in 4 games. The Big 10 lost to two teams the AAC, Sun Belt, a weak Independent and to Kansas. While the ACC has been mediocre in OOC games, they haven't been as bad as the Big 10.

Auburn may be in for a long year having lost to LSU at home with road games at MSU, Georgia, and Alabama, with A&M coming to Auburn. Easier conference games are all at home (UT, Ole Miss, Arkansas). Malzahn signed a 7-year, $49-million extension in January of this year.

and just made a $2 million donation back into the football program

The only hope for the ACC is that teams like NCSU, BC, & Duke are much better than people thought coming into the season. Clemson is in a league of their own (but not without problems), VT is still largely and unknown, but after that it gets rough since Miami/FSU/Louisville/GT are probably worse y/y.

I am happier when Auburn sucks... I feel like their fans are miserable to be around most of the time (and I am around a lot of them, unfortunately, here in Atlanta). SEC has similar problems as the ACC in top heaviness... But Bama and UGA are seemingly so good that they could still get 2 teams in the playoff (again). After that, it's rough... I still don't particularly believe LSU is going to have a special season.

Come to think of it, the B1G kind of sucks after Ohio State and probably Penn State.

I hope it isn't a boring season with Bama/UGA/Clemson/OhioState all going to the playoff... Would make for a great playoff, but a pretty boring regular season.

Yeah, I don't think LSU is all the way back yet, but should cause problems for Georgia and maybe Alabama in Baton Rouge. Schedule sets up well for them with a good Mississippi State team also coming to Death Valley.

Oklahoma has away games against TCU and WVU that may keep them out of the playoff.

If Alabama and Georgia both finish 12-0 and one loses in the SECCG I don't know how you leave one out. Long ways off though.

While the ACC has certainly struggled, how is the Big 10 third?

Last Saturday:

Northwestern lost to Akron
Maryland lost to Temple
Nebraska lost to Troy
Wisky lost to BYU
Rutgers lost to Kansas (blowout)
Purdue lost to Missouri
Illinois lost to USF

I believe that broke an NCAA record for a most OOC losses by a Power V conference team in one weekend. Of the 7 losses, the Big 10 team was a double digit favorite in 4 games. The Big 10 lost to two teams the AAC, Sun Belt, a weak Independent and to Kansas. While the ACC has been mediocre in OOC games, they haven't been as bad as the Big 10.

I agree that the B1G is garbage. PSU also should have lost to App State. I guess they get more credit for tOSU beating TCU at home than Clemson beating A&M on the road. Also some credit for the Maryland win over Texas.

Didn't see that NW lost to Akron. Makes the Duke win look less good.

Before the loss to Pitt, I think S&P+ had GT winning every game left on their schedule aside from UGA & Clemson. Not sure where that projection is now, but I'd be shocked if they don't go to a bowl. 1-3 start likely, but could then run 8 in a row (or at least 6-7 of them). I think 7-5 is most likely scenario.

Tech is not winning 8 in a row. That is as close to impossible among mediocre teams as anything in college football right now. The easiest games left on the schedule are a home game against Bowling Green, at UNC-CH, and home against Duke and UVa. They play at Blacksburg in five weeks and will limp into Athens to finish the season.

Tech is not winning 8 in a row. That is as close to impossible among mediocre teams as anything in college football right now. The easiest games left on the schedule are a home game against Bowling Green, at UNC-CH, and home against Duke and UVa. They play at Blacksburg in five weeks and will limp into Athens to finish the season.

My point was that after Clemson this weekend and before UGA they have 8 games in a row that are winnable. That was, of course, wrong because they only play 7 games in the middle of those two. But probably favored in 5 of them. Because my math is terrible, call it 6-6 instead of 7-5... But I can't see it being any worse than that.

My GT friends are already hoping that the season is a disaster so that they can move on... Kind of like Wake hoops and Manning (aside from the fact that GT football has had some recent success) in that mediocrity this season probably means more of the same.

However, GT fans are kind of weird... GT could beat Clemson this week and they'd do a complete 180.

Here are ESPN's current projected final regular season records based on its Football Power Index ratings for the ACC (total record not broken down by conference games):

Clemson - 11-1
Miami 9-3
Duke 9-3
VT 9-2/8-3 (8.6 wins - ECU cancelled)
BC 9-3/8-4 (8.6 wins)
Cuse 8-4 (I would take the under 8)
State 7-4 (WV game cancelled)
WF 6-6
UVA 6-6
GT 5-7
L'ville 5-7
Pitt 4-8
FSU 4-8
UNC 3-8 (USF game cancelled)

ND is 10-2/9-3 (9.6 wins).

Current top 5 in FPI are:

1. Bama
2. UGA
3. tOSU
4. PSU (I call BS on this; they should've lost to the Apps; Pitt threw up on themselves, but the yardage was close)
5. OK

Clemson is 6th.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a way a B1G champion can lose a game and make the playoff this year as bad as the rest of that conference is. tOSU at PSU on 9/29 should decide that conference. The only obvious danger games are tOSU at Michigan, PSU at MSU, and the B1G against a joke Wisconsin team.

The same goes for Clemson. Go undefeated or don't be whining on selection day.

I don't think there's a way a B1G champion can lose a game and make the playoff this year as bad as the rest of that conference is. tOSU at PSU on 9/29 should decide that conference. The only obvious danger games are tOSU at Michigan, PSU at MSU, and the B1G against a joke Wisconsin team.

The same goes for Clemson. Go undefeated or don't be whining on selection day.

Way too early to say stuff like that, imo.

I think OSU or PSU could slip up and still get there... But it's certainly a tougher road. OSU could have dropped the TCU game, for example, and probably still been OK if running the table. But there is no way of knowing that stuff until you see how it all plays out.

It's college football... Most teams lay an egg or two during the course of the season.

Way too early to say stuff like that, imo.

I think OSU or PSU could slip up and still get there... But it's certainly a tougher road. OSU could have dropped the TCU game, for example, and probably still been OK if running the table. But there is no way of knowing that stuff until you see how it all plays out.

It's college football... Most teams lay an egg or two during the course of the season.

I agree with this. People always underestimate that the fact the unexpected always seems to happen with college football. Far from a lock that the college football playoff will come from the following 5 teams: Bama, UGA, Clemson, tOSU and OK.

Yeah, not a lock. Throw in Penn State and Stanford, WVU/Oklahoma State, and maybe Notre Dame.

For the record, I was in favor of Clemson’s inclusion last year, even though they didn’t really show up for their game and looked like shit multiple times during the season.

For the record, I was in favor of Clemson’s inclusion last year, even though they didn’t really show up for their game and looked like shit multiple times during the season.

By biased, I just meant that you're a UGA guy and Clemson getting in as a 1 loss team could obviously impact a 1-loss UGA's potential inclusion.

But we have ~3 months for all of this to work itself out. When GT & Wake Forest beat Clemson and LSU runs the table in the SEC, this will all look silly.

Of course. But if the Playoff were today (which would be weird), Alabama is the #1 seed, #2 UGA, #3 Clemson, #4 tOSU.

Justin Fields would probably get some mop up duty in the second half once Georgia goes up by four touchdowns.

Of course. But if the Playoff were today (which would be weird), Alabama is the #1 seed, #2 UGA, #3 Clemson, #4 tOSU.

Justin Fields would probably get some mop up duty in the second half once Georgia goes down four touchdowns.

Against Clemson? Fixed if for you.

Against Clemson? Fixed if for you.

First you tell me the ACC isn't just a one-team league with Clemson and everybody else, then you tell me Clemson would manhandle another top 5 team. Get your story straight. Clemson is going to plow State on 10/20. And if they should lose, they should kiss the playoff goodbye.

First you tell me the ACC isn't just a one-team league with Clemson and everybody else, then you tell me Clemson would manhandle another top 5 team. Get your story straight. Clemson is going to plow State on 10/20. And if they should lose, they should kiss the playoff goodbye.

Two years Clemson barely beat State in OT, and should have lost if it wasn't for a clown kicker. They also lost to Pitt at home. Should they have kissed their playoff hopes goodbye then, when they beat Bama for the Natty?

Back