• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

Eh just illegal recruiting stuff, but I guess the NCAA changed their minds.

The NCAA has vacated multiple sanctions levied against the Georgia Tech men's basketball program in an appeal ruling, potentially helping the school recoup scholarships and recruiting visitation privileges.

Georgia Tech was hit with major recruiting violations in 2019 -- including a postseason ban served in 2020 -- involving former assistant Darryl LaBarrie and Ron Bell, a friend of coach Josh Pastner. Tech was hit with the loss of one scholarship per year until September 2023 and a ban on recruits attending home basketball games on official visits, and was reprimanded for "intentional, willful or blatant disregard for the NCAA constitution and bylaws."

The infractions appeals committee, however, is sending all of that back to the NCAA's committee on infractions for further consideration, which could shorten the window of scholarship loss.

"I'm very happy and thankful that the infractions appeals committee chose to overturn these penalties, as it is beneficial for the future of our program and student-athletes," Pastner said Friday. "While this news doesn't affect our current team or goals, I'm glad to have this part of the process behind us and to be able to continue to put our full focus on this outstanding team and building on the momentum that we have for the rest of the regular season and into the postseason."

ESPN reported in March 2019 that LaBarrie was charged with a Level I violation related to an Atlanta strip club visit in November 2016 that sources said included former NBA guard Jarrett Jack and current Chicago Bulls player Wendell Carter Jr.

LaBarrie was given a three-year show-cause order, in which "any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply."

Georgia Tech had self-imposed a three-year dissociation with LaBarrie and permanent disassociation from Bell.

Attorney John Long of Jackson Lewis confirmed that he handled the appeal for the school.

Hungry young coach and new smaller stadium leads to title.

Shocker. When I pointed out how smart that was for GT, when they chose Pastner and a small stadium over Manning and buying the Joel, it didn’t go well here.

Hungry young coach and new smaller stadium leads to title.

Shocker. When I pointed out how smart that was for GT, when they chose Pastner and a small stadium over Manning and buying the Joel, it didn’t go well here.

Yes. The size of GT's stadium is one of the main reasons why they won a championship in a season when no one could actually attend games.

Yes. The size of GT's stadium is one of the main reasons why they won a championship in a season when no one could actually attend games.

Which all just shows how little you understand about the benefits of the smaller venue. We have no one to blame for our 25 years of failure but our own very stupid alums.

I’m trying to figure out what the size of Tech’s stadium has to do with them winning a tournament in the Greensboro coliseum.

I’m trying to figure out what the size of Tech’s stadium has to do with them winning a tournament in the Greensboro coliseum.

You and the vast majority of the WF alumni base have failed to grasp the recruiting advantage of a hostile home environment where you practice for going on 7 decades now.

While I get the desire to have a small, on campus arena, gimme a break about Pastner. He's had 5 seasons at GT, and they're going to the dance for the 1st time in his tenure as a 8-9 seed in a historically down year for the conference. Hardly awe inspiring. And he was probably on the chopping block had they not made the tourney this year.

First major championship for my favorite team of all (GT basketball) since I've been a fan ('97 to now).

Last night was awesome.

While I get the desire to have a small, on campus arena, gimme a break about Pastner. He's had 5 seasons at GT, and they're going to the dance for the 1st time in his tenure as a 8-9 seed in a historically down year for the conference. Hardly awe inspiring. And he was probably on the chopping block had they not made the tourney this year.

Pastner's body of work is near perfect. 3 conference titles. 5 trips to the dance. 243 wins. 43 years old. WTH is wrong with you people?

Like with Kelsey & Miller, his success in this business was easily predictable. And it paid off for Ga Tech.

We hired a rich, lazy dude who acted like dopy the dwarf. And paid millions for a money hemorrhaging civic center (when no one else wanted it) that was already the worst venue in sports.

GT wins two games in the lamest ACCT ever had in a down heat for the ACC and donaldross is ready to crown Josh Pastner

must be nice

GT wins two games in the lamest ACCT ever had in a down heat for the ACC and donaldross is ready to crown Josh Pastner

must be nice

Nice try but I crowned him years ago. I was mocked here. We have really smart folks around here.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2016–present)
2016–17 Georgia Tech 21–16 8–10 11th NIT Runner-up
2017–18 Georgia Tech 13–19 6–12 13th
2018–19 Georgia Tech 14–18 6–12 10th
2019–20 Georgia Tech 17–14 11–9 5th Postseason Ban[30]
2020–21 Georgia Tech 17–8 11–6 4th NCAA
Georgia Tech: 82–75 (.522) 42–49 (.462)

I'll give you that he had some good teams in his early years at Memphis, but this is his ACC record. One trip to the dance in 5 years where they'll be bounced the 1st weekend and a losing conference record. This is the 1st year in his tenure they've looked remotely decent. He's not anywhere near being in the discussion of the top half of ACC coaches.

Yeah I’m not sure we can use this “title” as any sort of legitimate component of Pastner’s resume.

Nice try but I crowned him years ago. I was mocked here. We have really smart folks around here.

As you should be mocked. Countless coaches have done much quicker turnarounds with less talent. Took Odom 2 years to turnaround an abysmal WF program, coach K at Duke in early 80s, Cremins for Tech, and I could do this all day. Great coaches get it done in 2-3 years tops and then keep winning. Now if Josh has 4 straight NCAAs and more championships in non COVID seasons then u can start your barking. Ludicrous at this point.

Duke quit rather than lose. They should be out just for that.

One thing for sure: we disagree here.

I like Miller, Kelsey, Pastner & small university arenas.

Wake Forest alums like old guys & civic tractor pull arenas.

Back