• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

GT has a positive test within the program. It could be Moses Wright or a student manager. Not positive, but think this means they can’t practice.

In the immitable words of AI, "Practice? You talking about practice?"

Random question, but what is going on at Cincinnati?

Had a pretty shitty season in year 2 of John Brannen (KP dipped from 44 to 116). They had lost a few seniors, so I think a step back was expected... But now they are having a couple of contributors transfer out and I don't think he has any '21 commits.

They could be terrible next season.

I thought Brannen was the perfect fit for them.

Random question, but what is going on at Cincinnati?

Had a pretty shitty season in year 2 of John Brannen (KP dipped from 44 to 116). They had lost a few seniors, so I think a step back was expected... But now they are having a couple of contributors transfer out and I don't think he has any '21 commits.

They could be terrible next season.

I thought Brannen was the perfect fit for them.

Yeah, I'm in Cincy and am shocked. Brannen was great at NKU and has local roots. Strange season at UC but they've now had 5 players opt for the transfer portal.

6th player has now entered the transfer portal from UC. No incoming freshman. Only 4 scholarship players returning. This is after going on a run to reach the AAC championship game, where they got destroyed by Houston.

Last edited:
Lots of speculation that the GT player who tested positive is Moses Wright.

If true+ Jackets make their first tournament appearance in forever and a virus takes out their best and most irreplaceable player. Ouch

Sounds like Cincy could be our chief transfer portal competition. Unless we just take theirs and they take ours (kidding).

Lots of speculation that the GT player who tested positive is Moses Wright.

If true+ Jackets make their first tournament appearance in forever and a virus takes out their best and most irreplaceable player. Ouch

Confirmed. Horrible.

I mean, COVID may cost them a Loyola Chicago win but they weren't getting past Illinois. And COVID also gave them an ACC Championship. Pretty good trade imho.

I mean, COVID may cost them a Loyola Chicago win but they weren't getting past Illinois. And COVID also gave them an ACC Championship. Pretty good trade imho.

Probably, but GT is a funky experienced team that is hard to play. Not saying that fully healthy GT would have won the NCAA Tournament, but not beyond the realm of possibility that a healthy GT could keep it close with Illinois and possibly pull it out in the end. That said, GT has NO big other Wright; if they somehow beat Loyola, the idea of GT with no size against Cockburn is frightening.

Not that I wish Covid on anyone, but in terms of just net/net, yes, they got the ACC Championship by winning two games. I can’t feel too sorry for them as a program. I do feel badly for Wright though.

GT's program has had almost as a sad recent history as WF. They haven't been to the NCAAs since 2010. If in two years, Cam Hildreth is the ACC POY, WF makes its first NCAA tourney in forever and Cam is knocked out just before our Tourney appearance, that would suck forever, even if WF had a great season leading up to that point.

GT's program has had almost as a sad recent history as WF. They haven't been to the NCAAs since 2010. If in two years, Cam Hildreth is the ACC POY, WF makes its first NCAA tourney in forever and Cam is knocked out just before our Tourney appearance, that would suck forever, even if WF had a great season leading up to that point.

Agreed. But I’m also taking into account that they had self imposed bans for, what, recruiting violations? That they conveniently got out of the way last year. I just don’t think Pastner is completely on the up and up. So take your ACC championship, fine, but it doesn’t feel right for this program suddenly to surge to the Elite Eight or something. Maybe that’s just me. Though again, from the players’ perspective, since they did nothing wrong, I feel badly.

I’d much rather a program like Georgia Tech get that kind of ACC championship, though, than one of the blue bloods.

Feels like GT is going to suck again next year once Wright & Alvarado (finally) graduate.

Devoe is a great player, but he's gonna need some more help.

Feels like GT is going to suck again next year once Wright & Alvarado (finally) graduate.

Devoe is a great player, but he's gonna need some more help.

Technically, they could return the same team, but it seems like Jose Alvarado is in his 30s, and Wright has options to get paid to play basketball. Also, DeVoe flirted with the NBA last year; don't see him as an NBA draft pick, but this could be a Bryant Crawford situation where DeVoe may be done with college, particularly since GT looks to be in rebuild mode next year. Pastner has not recruited well, and they have no depth; so, this could be their one year in the sun.

Technically, they could return the same team, but it seems like Jose Alvarado is in his 30s, and Wright has options to get paid to play basketball. Also, DeVoe flirted with the NBA last year; don't see him as an NBA draft pick, but this could be a Bryant Crawford situation where DeVoe may be done with college, particularly since GT looks to be in rebuild mode next year. Pastner has not recruited well, and they have no depth; so, this could be their one year in the sun.

That's strange to hear you say that. Donald Ross was over here extolling the virtues of Pastner earlier this week. You aren't suggesting that Pastner is not an unbelievable coach, are you?

I do feel awful that Ga Tech was not going to continue their magical "Cardiac Pack" type March run with or without Moses Malone Wright.

That was a special, special ACC Tournament for them, I mean Miami basketball AND Florida State basketball in a 4-day period. Cue the music...dedication...teamwork...relationships...and wash your hands frequently...no asterisks to see here.

I'm not jealous.

That's strange to hear you say that. Donald Ross was over here extolling the virtues of Pastner earlier this week. You aren't suggesting that Pastner is not an unbelievable coach, are you?

Yeah, I don't remotely get the love for Pastner. He's had 1 very brief NCAA tourney in 5 years, and next year doesn't look promising. Add to that I've never been impressed with GT when they've come to Cville during those 5 years, either from a talent or coaching perspective. I get the love for Kelsey and Miller, and Winthrop is my favorite double digit seed from a small conference. And I'll root for those guys if and when they get new jobs, well, unless it's at a school I hate. Frankly, the new coach I've been most impressed with has been Mike Young, who isn't that young. That cupboard was bare when Williams left, and he had them competitive last year and got to the tourney this year. I get that his style will cause them to shoot themselves both in and out of games, but it seems to be working thus far.

Agreed. But I’m also taking into account that they had self imposed bans for, what, recruiting violations? That they conveniently got out of the way last year.

It's BS to be "banned" from postseason in a year that there is no postseason.

They have a decent class coming in next year (Deebo!), but will likely be thin underneath.

I don't see the allure for seniors to come back if they have pro options, like Wright and Alvarado will. I just assume they are gone. Maybe I'm wrong.

If they lose Devoe, it'll be a rough season for them next year.

I do feel awful that Ga Tech was not going to continue their magical "Cardiac Pack" type March run with or without Moses Malone Wright.

That was a special, special ACC Tournament for them, I mean Miami basketball AND Florida State basketball in a 4-day period. Cue the music...dedication...teamwork...relationships...and wash your hands frequently...no asterisks to see here.

I'm not jealous.

If we still had Danny Manning as head coach I'd be jealous as shit of GT, and VT, and Clemson, and Miami; hell, I'd be jealous of BC because Grant is without a doubt a better coach than Danny Manning

But yeah, I'm not jealous of GT's future.

that said, I don't diminish their ACC tournament championship one bit. The ACC held a tournament, they earned a double bye, they beat the teams they played. Good for them.

Back