• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

They might score more points in the first half than some of these teams have scored the entire game the past few days. Very entertaining game so far.

Guess the long layoff and the early start didn't hamper Oregon's offense. Ducks score 56 in the first half and lead Iowa by 10 at the midpoint. Hate it when people try to draw blanket conclusions about conference strengths/weaknesses based on the NCAA Tourney as the one and done format leads to random results. That said, the Pac-10 is 6-0 SU and ATS so far in the NCAAs. Not sure anyone other than Bill Walton saw that coming.

Guess the long layoff and the early start didn't hamper Oregon's offense. Ducks score 56 in the first half and lead Iowa by 10 at the midpoint. Hate it when people try to draw blanket conclusions about conference strengths/weaknesses based on the NCAA Tourney as the one and done format leads to random results. That said, the Pac-10 is 6-0 SU and ATS so far in the NCAAs. Not sure anyone other than Bill Walton saw that coming.

People are surprised but this is typical from the Conference of Champions.

I got a kick out of Kenny Smith's halftime comments. He said letting a guy get his works in the NBA because if a guy gets 30, everyone else has to get 80, but it doesn't work in college because the other guys can get 40. It's like he completely ignored the 56-46 halftime score.

Oregon is absolutely pouring it on right now. Not sure Iowa has the pace and athleticism to keep up.

Well the Ducks are playing, the apparent, paper tiger B10 conf team.

Are you referring to the polls RJ? Those are completely worthless

And so is KemPom, but the polls show where many of the people making the decision are coming up with seedings.

I love Moser, his team and Sister Jean, but a combination of the weakness of their league schedule and losses to WI and Richmond OOC made a #8 seed reasonable. Why should they be seeded "much higher" than a team that beat them by 14?

If you wanted to give them a #6 there would be arguments about who they beat. There's no justification other than KenPom for any higher than that.

The difference between #6 and #8 is often how the committee wants the TV to play out.

Is Garza considered a strong NBA prospect? Seems like a great college player but not sure I see his game translating to today’s NBA.

The only good news for Iowa is that there’s still a ton of time left. Regardless the “elite” Big 10 teams taking an absolute beating in the tournament thus far.

Some have him as a second round pick. Others have him not getting drafted. I think he'd be a good bench, banger for a good team. Some team could get a ten year player very cheaply.

B1G is down to just Michigan and Maryland remaining, and since they're in the same region, no more than one B1G team will advance to the Final Four. I'm rooting for Alabama to beat them both, if LSU or FSU doesn't beat Michigan first.

Any info about what seniors are coming back, if any, at UVA? UVA was a weird team. They had elite shooters among their big men (Hauser, Huff and Murphy), but the their guards couldn't shoot. Think Beekman is going to be very good. He's athletic, and should hints that his offensive ability was going to improve. UVA's top rated 2020 recruit, Jabri Abdur-Rahim, was top 50 and coveted, but he essentially did not play. If enters the portal, there will be a lot interest.

No. And I obviously didn't go to games where you'd chat with folks, nor have I podded with any families in the know. Odd year that way. Murphy is a junior transfer who has 1 more year. Clark and Stattman are juniors who I've been wanting to move on from. I've wanted to deport Stattman since he was a freshman. I have no idea what is going on with Abdur-Rahim. Heard he was injured early, not sure if that's true. But he played a few minutes in a few games, probably enough to burn a red shirt. Yeah, I agree Beekman has potential and should improve. From what I can tell from Rivals, they only have 1 recruit signed thus far, a 6'4" SG. I would hope Abdur-Rahim and Morsel don't transfer. Tony needs some bigs with Hauser and Huff graduating. Huff was originally part of that freshmen class with Guy, Jerome and Hunter with him and Hunter red shirting. It could be a lean next couple of years if Tony has to rely on McKoy and Caffero for major minutes. The only current big with potential is Shedrick, who played sparingly as a freshman. You'd think a natty would help in recruiting, but this class is thin so far.

There are a LOT of team who really suck at playing back door cuts this year. There have been a ton of easy layups and dunks off of the most basic cuts.

Is Garza considered a strong NBA prospect? Seems like a great college player but not sure I see his game translating to today’s NBA.

No. Second round or not in mocks at all. I think he'll stick around as a stretch 5 off the bench. There's room for big body who can score.

Lots of pressure on best buds Juwan and Turgeon to keep the Big 10 from a complete embarrassment for the conference.

Turns out there may not have been a single good team in the ACC/Big Ten challenge this year.

Michigan may still make the sweet 16, but not having Livers is going to cost them a chance at the title. The line for Michigan/LSU has already moved from -5.5 to -4.5.

Last edited:
As if the ACC is thriving

True, but the ACC's 8th place team, Cuse, has advanced farther than #2 Illinois, #7 tOSU, #8 Iowa and #20 Purdue, and at this point, it would be less shocking for the Cuse to reach the Final than Michigan.

True, but the ACC's 8th place team, Cuse, has advanced farther than #2 Illinois, #7 tOSU, #8 Iowa and #20 Purdue, and at this point, it would be less shocking for the Cuse to reach the Final than Michigan.

Syracuse is so strange. Seems like every other year they have a mediocre team on the bubble, make the tourney and win at least 2 games. Hell, they went to 2 final-4s that way in the last decade. But I was happy to see them beat Thuggy Bear and his ugly ass mullet. That said, whoever is playing them next should press them.

Back