• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

I figured UVA was going to flame out or go deep (i.e. defending champion crap). I picket deep, they screwed my brackets.

Maybe we're seeing why Mike White could never get to the NCAAs at LaTech. Woof, what a meltdown.

Dude has problems with teams from Tulsa

Had a rough break losing his best player earlier this year but no excuse blowing a lead like that even if ORU was underseeded.

Gator fans fed up with White.

I was shaking my head at Tony Bennett's last 4 NCAAT experiences - loss by 15 in the second round after a 5 point win in the first round over a #12; loss in the first round to a #16; wins natty; and loses to #13 seed in the first round. Really inconsistent. I'm not inclined to give them a pass for this year. Ohio looked to be a 2 man team.

It's time for Tony to come home to the Badgers. Come home, Tony.

Makes sense in this crazy hoops season that the often-maligned Pac-12 is having the best tournament so far

And Oregon State continues that with a big 80-70 win over OK State.

In terms of worst P5 hoops program over last 50 years, that Beaver win last night is really bad for the Deacs. Not sure exactly which stat we just dropped a spot in but surely there was 1.

Sweet 16s this century for instance we just got a new tie.

Walker Kessler transferring out of UNC-CH.

Massively under-utilized at UNC. 7-1 245. Kessler played more than 20 minutes twice this past year. Those two games:

- 20 points 8 boards 4 blocks against FSU
- 16 points 12 rebounds 8 blocks (yes 8) against ND

Guessing he ends up at UGA because his father and his uncle played there, but whomever gets him will be very fortunate. Not expecting WF would be on Kessler's short-list, but if he came to WF, the Deacs would instantly be a very dangerous team in 2021-22. Incredible the amount of talent that UNC wastes.

Last edited:
Massively under-utilized at UNC. 7-1 245. Kessler played more than 20 minutes twice this past year. Those two games:

- 20 points 8 boards 4 blocks against FSU
- 16 points 12 rebounds 8 (yes 8) against ND

Guessing he ends up at UGA because his father and his uncle played there, but whomever gets him will be very fortunate. Not expecting WF would be on Kessler's short-list, but if he came to WF, the Deacs would instantly be a very dangerous team in 2021-22. Incredible the amount of talent that UNC wastes.

Somebody like that is exactly what Wake needs to instantly become a lot better. For every block a rim protector gets, he alters or discourages at least two.

UVa was able to practice one time in the two weeks that preceded the NCAAT. If there's a year where they should receive pass, it's this year. This also wasn't your stereotypical Virginia team. They finished rated #32 in defensive efficiency, the first time since 2013 that they didn't finish in the top ten.

wow, was sure this was a cville post

UVa was able to practice one time in the two weeks that preceded the NCAAT. If there's a year where they should receive pass, it's this year. This also wasn't your stereotypical Virginia team. They finished rated #32 in defensive efficiency, the first time since 2013 that they didn't finish in the top ten.

I've been saying all year I don't like UVA's personnel grouping. Hauser is a stud, and I liked the addition of Murphy. That's it. Clark gets lost in the lane more than Donald Hand did - can't wait till he graduates. Huff is a soft and slow but serviceable big who can hit outside shots. Abdur Rahim was supposed to be their best recruit, but he didn't play and I guess was red shirted. Beekman looks competent but was unassertive as a freshman, er 1st year. Morsel is athletic but can't hit a pig's ass with a banjo. They would have been an ACC also ran most years but won the regular season because the ACC was atrocious. Throw in the covid issue, and I didn't hesitate picking Ohio in my bracket. I want to see Tony getting back to having athletic bigs like Mitchell and Diakite with decent guards with size who can run the packline like it's supposed to be run.

I hated seeing Illinois go down because I really like Ayo and Cockburn, but I really love this Loyola team, who was criminally under seeded. Illinois was really having problems with their packline man D. And Boehsim's zone continues to get Syracuse to sweet 16s, though Doelzaj's ball handling in the last minute was nerve wracking. Looking forward most to the Mich/LSU and FSU/Col games tonight - I'm kinda expecting a Bama/LSU rematch in the elite 8.

We'll see man. At the least it's more reasonable than them being an 8 seed.

Every possession is a data point, and there's tons of 'em in CBB. Kenpom does a better job of evaluating all that than anything else

No it's not. Two weeks before the selections, Loyola was #20 and #22. The week before they were #18. This would mean they were thought to be a 5/6 seed before you factor in the weakness of their schedule.

Could they have been a legit #5/#6? Yes.

But #8 is not really egregious.

I've been saying all year I don't like UVA's personnel grouping. Hauser is a stud, and I liked the addition of Murphy. That's it. Clark gets lost in the lane more than Donald Hand did - can't wait till he graduates. Huff is a soft and slow but serviceable big who can hit outside shots. Abdur Rahim was supposed to be their best recruit, but he didn't play and I guess was red shirted. Beekman looks competent but was unassertive as a freshman, er 1st year. Morsel is athletic but can't hit a pig's ass with a banjo. They would have been an ACC also ran most years but won the regular season because the ACC was atrocious. Throw in the covid issue, and I didn't hesitate picking Ohio in my bracket. I want to see Tony getting back to having athletic bigs like Mitchell and Diakite with decent guards with size who can run the packline like it's supposed to be run.

I hated seeing Illinois go down because I really like Ayo and Cockburn, but I really love this Loyola team, who was criminally under seeded. Illinois was really having problems with their packline man D. And Boehsim's zone continues to get Syracuse to sweet 16s, though Doelzaj's ball handling in the last minute was nerve wracking. Looking forward most to the Mich/LSU and FSU/Col games tonight - I'm kinda expecting a Bama/LSU rematch in the elite 8.

Any info about what seniors are coming back, if any, at UVA? UVA was a weird team. They had elite shooters among their big men (Hauser, Huff and Murphy), but the their guards couldn't shoot. Think Beekman is going to be very good. He's athletic, and should hints that his offensive ability was going to improve. UVA's top rated 2020 recruit, Jabri Abdur-Rahim, was top 50 and coveted, but he essentially did not play. If enters the portal, there will be a lot interest.

I certainly think the Loyola was significantly underseeded & Illinois got shafted by having to face them in the second round.

I certainly think the Loyola was significantly underseeded & Illinois got shafted by having to face them in the second round.

Kind of, but Illinois got worked. They never led. Maybe Illinois should've played Loyola in the round of 16 instead of 32, but don't feel sorry for the Illini given how thoroughly Loyola dominated them. In 2014, undefeated and under-seeded Wichita State got hosed when they lost by 2 to an uber-talented KY team (Julius Randle, Willie Cauley Stein) in the second round. That KY team ended advancing all of the way to the NC game. Wichita State was good enough to be a final 4 team; yet, they faced another Final 4 team in the 2nd round. That was a hose job.

Another point is if Loyola got a #4 or #5 seed, they could have played IL in the Sweet 16.

Offensive supernova in the first half of this Oregon/Iowa game. 52-46 Ducks with a little less than a minute to go in the first half.

Back