• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

7 for Coastal talking shit to the hill after his goal. . . while still losing.

Our Deacs play Kentucky in Cary on Thursday. Late start -- 9 pm.

FWIW, the SEC doesn't recognize men's soccer as a sport (which is so classic SEC); so, the Wildcats play in Conference USA for soccer. They are 12-4-2 on the season and have played 4 games against ACC teams: beating Duke twice (4-2 and 1-0 in OT), beating L'ville 3-1 and losing to ND to open the season (1-0). Kentucky has played a ton of close games including 8 games (out of 18) that went to OT. The Wildcats beat New Hampshire 2-0 to advance to the Sweet 16. KY's leading scorer Eythor Bjorgolfsson (Norway) did not play. The Wildcat goalie Enrique Facusse is from Honduras.

If the Deacs beat KY, WF plays the winner of UNC/Stanford next Monday May 10 (UNC needed PKs to beat Charlotte).

I didn't realize Denver had to drop out of the tournament. That sucks.

If the Deacs beat KY, WF plays the winner of UNC/Stanford next Monday May 10 (UNC needed PKs to beat Charlotte).

Playing Charlotte then Stanford in a row would be way too much Gunn ball

I'm not very versed in the nuances of soccer play but I have a question about yesterdays game vs CC. We were up 2-0 on CC after what looked like a very nice setup scoring play and an own goal by CC. To me, we were making it look pretty easy.

After that, for a long time, remainder of 1st half, we had ball in CC side and spent so much time just passing the ball around. Going in some then back out over an over, and not trying to advance toward the goal. It looked to me like were were just burning clock and coasting for a good while (minutes - like 4 corners play ). Is that possible? Later we missed what looked like a great scoring chance with ball kicked just wide. Final was 3-2 with last few minutes spent holding off CC. I thought we could/should have had a larger lead with continued aggressive play. Where am I wrong?

I'm not very versed in the nuances of soccer play but I have a question about yesterdays game vs CC. We were up 2-0 on CC after what looked like a very nice setup scoring play and an own goal by CC. To me, we were making it look pretty easy.

After that, for a long time, remainder of 1st half, we had ball in CC side and spent so much time just passing the ball around. Going in some then back out over an over, and not trying to advance toward the goal. It looked to me like were were just burning clock and coasting for a good while (minutes - like 4 corners play ). Is that possible? Later we missed what looked like a great scoring chance with ball kicked just wide. Final was 3-2 with last few minutes spent holding off CC. I thought we could/should have had a larger lead with continued aggressive play. Where am I wrong?

It's not really four corners, it's just playing smart. A team like CC really only has a chance to hit you on the counter. So by being smart and possessing, we're looking to see if there's an opening we can exploit or a defender we can move out of position. But if it's not there, don't force it. We're up 2-0. We don't need to take risky chances to look for a goal. We don't need a player trying to beat someone 1-on-1 or losing the ball when WE aren't in a good shape. Just possess and make them work defensively.

I was actually surprised at how aggressive Wake was with a two goal lead in the second half. I thought they were the opposite of conservative and it probably cost them the second CC goal.

GAME DAY, taking predictions

ESNDawTVAAACv2h.jpg

Clemson loses in PK's
Pitt rolls on 4-0

Last edited:
UNC beats Stanford clearing our way to the championship.

Back