• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Wasn't this like our JV squad due to losing 10 players to MLS/pro contracts?

Just seemed like we got bullied last night. And it didn't help that the officiating was an absolute joke.

They get bullied every year and lose. Same story every year whether it's Stanford, UVA, or UNC. Muuss's team can't stand up to aggressive play against them.

That was the same criticism levied against Jay V. when he was here. Muus was a Jay V. assistant and coaches the same type of game. Jay V. didn't win a NCAA championship until his 14th year despite having several teams that could have won.

Hard to find much to complain out overall with this "season". There were years when we have underperformed. This doesn't seem to have been one of those years. Got to think the experience for the young guys will pay dividends down the road.

I mean yeah sure a possession-oriented technical team can be beaten by overly-physical, set-piece oriented teams. That's been the only type of team to beat us under Muuss more or less, which I'd attribute to the fact that there really isn't anyone that's been even close to being better than us at our own style. But we can just as easily beat those physical teams, which is backed up by the fact that this was Muuss' first loss to UNC.

Muuss is the coach at WFU least deserving of criticism by far, and I feel confident he will break through and win a natty at some point in the future. I would have felt pretty confident in winning it this year had we retained those guys from the fall.

Muuss is the coach at WFU least deserving of criticism by far, and I feel confident he will break through and win a natty at some point in the future. I would have felt pretty confident in winning it this year had we retained those guys from the fall.

Tony Bresky would definitely like a word. But agree overall Muuss is excellent and we are lucky to have him.

If that match is replayed in sunshine then the Deacs win. That field is notorious for being tough to play slick passing on.

I hate that pitch for that very reason as any bad weather always greatly favors the team with the lesser skilled players.

If that match is replayed in sunshine then the Deacs win. That field is notorious for being tough to play slick passing on.

I hate that pitch for that very reason as any bad weather always greatly favors the team with the lesser skilled players.

If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle, right. Trouble is the match was played after it rained & both teams played on the same field.

If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle, right. Trouble is the match was played after it rained & both teams played on the same field.

Thank you, Captain Obvious, for your tremendous contribution.

I'm simply saying that isn't my first experience with that particular pitch and that particular pitch really neutralizes any skillful advantage one side may have compared to others that I've experienced.

For everyone grousing, a few things...

1) I thought we outplayed UNC, particularly in the 10-15 minutes leading up to their second goal. Sometimes shit happens.

2) This is the least-talented tournament team we've had under Bobby. (Just as a reminder, in the past six seasons our national seed has been 1, 1, 2, 1, 4, 5.)

3) I think the 5 seed probably undersold us based on results. We won our division in the fall and had a legit claim to say we won it in the spring (our game against the worst team got cancelled due to them having COVID; had we won we would've had the division title). Our ACC Tourney loss to UVA was our own COVID outbreak. If Clemson is the top national seed, well, we went 1-1-1 against them with a positive goal differential despite two of the games on the road.

4) From a talent perspective though... I repeat, this is the least-talented tournament team we've had in six years. We outplayed a team in the Elite Eight.

5) Sometimes things just don't go your way. That's what makes soccer soccer... the margins are so small when goals are at a premium. The only certainties are England losing PK shootouts and at the end the Germans win.

5a) Maybe we should recruit some Germans?

6) I think this hurts because it's the Heels (obviously), because they played like fucking thugs, and because the bracket was opening up to some extent. But based on talent, if you'd told any Wake fan back at the beginning of the spring (like, say, when we were struggling to beat Davidson or when State high-pressed us into oblivion) that this team would feel disappointed with only making the Elite Eight... I'm not sure we would've believed you. This team grew by leaps and bounds over the course of the spring season, despite having zero roster depth and a number of injuries.

7) Bobby's job is not in jeopardy, and anyone who says or implies that he's underperforming can fuck off. We return everyone from this team and have the #1 recruiting class coming in. We've been a top 5 national seed every single season under him. He's the best coach in men's college soccer, even if he hasn't won a Natty. We're lucky to have him.

8) Let's all cheer for Jay to bring it home this weekend, both for the feel-good nature of it and also because fuck this UNC team. Seriously.

9) Fall season starts in 3 months. Let's fucking go.

Thank you, Captain Obvious, for your tremendous contribution.

I'm simply saying that isn't my first experience with that particular pitch and that particular pitch really neutralizes any skillful advantage one side may have compared to others that I've experienced.

Actually, Reiff is pretty much right on. Heels ate our lunch, and there is no good response besides shit.

Any ideas on when fall soccer schedule will be posted? Trying to plan out football and soccer weekends

Actually, Reiff is pretty much right on. Heels ate our lunch, and there is no good response besides shit.
Oh ffs

I'm not making excuses. 7xDeacs are seemingly incapable of reading comprehension

1) I thought we outplayed UNC, particularly in the 10-15 minutes leading up to their second goal. Sometimes shit happens.

2) This is the least-talented tournament team we've had under Bobby. (Just as a reminder, in the past six seasons our national seed has been 1, 1, 2, 1, 4, 5.)

3) I think the 5 seed probably undersold us based on results. We won our division in the fall and had a legit claim to say we won it in the spring (our game against the worst team got cancelled due to them having COVID; had we won we would've had the division title). Our ACC Tourney loss to UVA was our own COVID outbreak. If Clemson is the top national seed, well, we went 1-1-1 against them with a positive goal differential despite two of the games on the road.

4) From a talent perspective though... I repeat, this is the least-talented tournament team we've had in six years. We outplayed a team in the Elite Eight.

5) Sometimes things just don't go your way. That's what makes soccer soccer... the margins are so small when goals are at a premium. The only certainties are England losing PK shootouts and at the end the Germans win.

6) I think this hurts because it's the Heels (obviously), because they played like fucking thugs, and because the bracket was opening up to some extent. But based on talent, if you'd told any Wake fan back at the beginning of the spring (like, say, when we were struggling to beat Davidson or when State high-pressed us into oblivion) that this team would feel disappointed with only making the Elite Eight... I'm not sure we would've believed you. This team grew by leaps and bounds over the course of the spring season, despite having zero roster depth and a number of injuries.

7) Bobby's job is not in jeopardy, and anyone who says or implies that he's underperforming can fuck off. We return everyone from this team and have the #1 recruiting class coming in. We've been a top 5 national seed every single season under him. He's the best coach in men's college soccer, even if he hasn't won a Natty. We're lucky to have him.

8) Let's all cheer for Jay to bring it home this weekend, both for the feel-good nature of it and also because fuck this UNC team. Seriously.

Well said

Jay's best teams had a guy or two on the back line that took exception to their teammates getting beat up and Bobby's teams have lacked that. Still love the type of soccer we play, Bobby will win one in the next few years.

Great post.

Great post overall. But...is anyone really suggesting Muuss' job could be in jeopardy?? Even berness?

Back