• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Ryan's and Watson's contract cap hits make trading them difficult. And the penance to Watson will be letting him have some say over who the next coach is going to be. If there is going to be movement of established QBs this offseason, I think Garroppolo, Stafford and Rodgers are more likely. Cam too, though not likely for a lot of money. He looked like he was throwing it well early in the year, but it looks like he's laboring now. I'm guessing the shoulder is still a bit messed up.

Yeah we need to draft a QB to look forward to while Teddy plays out the rest of his contract. He is exactly what we signed him for.

Don’t know why we didn’t roll with Allen & Grier. Why win 4-6 games when you can win 0-3?

Probably to get a feel of which of our weapons we can get a feel of. Do we keep DJ? Should we re sign Curtis? With a competent QB we can answer those questions.

Probably to get a feel of which of our weapons we can get a feel of. Do we keep DJ? Should we re sign Curtis? With a competent QB we can answer those questions.

That's a really good point. Helps get a sense of what type of QB this talent needs as well.

I just think it’s bad decision making by the front office. Last season showed enough from DJ I would think. When in the position we were this past offseason, I don’t think you waste a year to see what some guys have when the QB class is loaded at the top.

Also are we calling Teddy competent now??

Yeah, but not from Samuel and obviously not from Robbie Anderson. Clearly Rhule wanted his Temple guys and Brady wanted Teddy B. Maybe Teddy B is the test driver. He's definitely competent. And after here, he'll probably start somewhere else until they get their guy.

I just think it’s bad decision making by the front office. Last season showed enough from DJ I would think. When in the position we were this past offseason, I don’t think you waste a year to see what some guys have when the QB class is loaded at the top.

Also are we calling Teddy competent now??

Uh, yes. Top flight QB, no. But competent, yes. Put better players around him, and he can manage a game. But he's not going to wow you.

We are well positioned to possibly be good or bad with Teddy B. If defense or young guys overperformed, Teddy doesn't sink our chances to win now. If those areas still suck, Teddy lets us grade the rest of the offense. He's not good enough for us to win despite of our weaknesses. We'll get draft position to address them. I'm fine with a competent game manager for the short term.

I saw where we are like 0-7 this season on potential tying or taking the lead drives at the end of games this year. So to me that says the defense at least put us in position to win games but the offense (mostly Teddy because QBs get all credit/blame) can’t get it done when it matters

Rhule has a plan in place and I do not think Rhule wants to put himself in a position where he rushes a rookie QB into a starting role. At the same time, I also think Rhule wants to make a "splash" with a franchise guy, or his version of Cam. He likes "his" guys.

I think the stars are aligning that we take a QB early this draft to work a year behind Teddy B (before his contract) expires. With the talent at QB at the top, we will be in good position to get a Lance/Wilson/Trask and maybe Fields if he slides.

Rhule likes his guys. Teddy B is Brady's guy and PJ Walker is Rhule's guy. PJ was Rhule's starting QB for his four years at Temple. That's the main argument that we won't draft a QB.

Fields isn't going to slide. Lawrence and Fields to the Jets and Jags is a done deal.

it's sort of rare for highly drafted QBs to sit behind someone these days, at least until a few games into the season like with Tua and Herbert.

it's sort of rare for highly drafted QBs to sit behind someone these days, at least until a few games into the season like with Tua and Herbert.

Tua and Herbert played big time college football against great talent. Lantz played at NDSt, so I could see more of a case for him sitting most of his 1st year.

As for Walker, I don't remember watching him at Temple - don't watch many Temple games. Do any of y'all think he has the talent to become a legit NFL starter?

Rhule likes his guys. Teddy B is Brady's guy and PJ Walker is Rhule's guy. PJ was Rhule's starting QB for his four years at Temple. That's the main argument that we won't draft a QB.

Fields isn't going to slide. Lawrence and Fields to the Jets and Jags is a done deal.

I think Rhule is smart enough to know Walker is not a starter and not our future, but a solid low-price back up.

No. Maybe he could become a reliable backup. What's important is he was Rhule's QB at Temple, so I could see Rhule wanting to keep him on the roster long term.

Lantz played at ND State and he's not playing this year. Hard to imagine he starts right away.

Is Walker solid ? Like, if you're competing for a playoff spot and your starting QB goes down, are you still capable of competing for the playoffs with Walker starting the next four games ? Based on what I saw, I don't think so.

70% completion percentage, 1 TD, and 2 INT (which he can learn from about mistakes in the redzone), and a win versus the awful Lions. Not bad, not great.

Low-price was also a key term there that adds to his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back