• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grounding is simply giving the defense credit for a sack. That’s it.

Yeah, the penalty for grounding is probably the most effective penalty if you look at it as equalizing the impact of an infraction on a play. Pretty much every other penalty (five yards, ten, fifteen) are all somewhat arbitrary in terms of balancing out the yards that would have been gained/lost without the penalty. Grounding pretty much gives you exactly what you would have had otherwise.

Even the ten second runoff is generous to the offense. It would take atleast that long to get back to scrimmage and then rush a play off.

1. Shula has to go. G'Bye. His play calling in the red zone was abysmal. Why are we counting on Clay to make that catch in the end zone? It was a perfectly thrown pass, and would have been a great catch if it were made. But WHY are we asking Cam to throw a perfect pass to a replacement receiver in tight coverage? THAT was the route that was most open?! Why doesn't CMC get a route out of the backfield? Why are we not finding ways to get the ball into our best players' hands on the red zone? They can't be decoys on the biggest plays of the game. Goddammit.

Play calling in general was bad. Jeez how many times did we not even look like we were trying to convert on third down?

Sounds like Hurney is the favorite to remain as the GM. Hopefully new ownership decides to bring in their own guy.

Soooooo weird that Shula never gets these calls. It’s almost like he’s terrible at his job and everyone knows it.

I thought there was speculation he would take the Ole Miss job? Maybe it was just that he wanted it and they weren’t interested though I can’t remember.

Sounds like Hurney is the favorite to remain as the GM. Hopefully new ownership decides to bring in their own guy.

It would be ridiculous to hire a new GM before new ownership comes in.

Right. So no trades. No crazy draft like the last two (CBs in the 2nd and 3rd, RB/WR hybrids in the 1st and 2nd). I suspect Hurney will go BPA at every position except for QB, G, and LB.

The big decision will be Star. I imagine we'll try to keep Norwell. Didn't realize Gano is a UFA. That makes the decision to keep him over Butker baffling.

I wouldn't be shocked if we did look for a mid-tier WR in FA

KB caused a lot of issues in the front office and rumors are that he was part of the reason Proehl left as well

Right. So no trades. No crazy draft like the last two (CBs in the 2nd and 3rd, RB/WR hybrids in the 1st and 2nd). I suspect Hurney will go BPA at every position except for QB, G, and LB.

The big decision will be Star. I imagine we'll try to keep Norwell. Didn't realize Gano is a UFA. That makes the decision to keep him over Butker baffling.

If we had Butker we'd be talking about how were going to stop Adam Thielen this weekend.

no butker has never missed

is adam thielen everything bersin is supposed to be?

If we had Butker we'd be talking about how were going to stop Adam Thielen this weekend.

Would people be more or less mad at Gano if he made the 25 yarder and missed the NFL Playoff long 58 yarder? Sucks he missed the kick but Gano wasn't the problem yesterday.

Would people be more or less mad at Gano if he made the 25 yarder and missed the NFL Playoff long 58 yarder? Sucks he missed the kick but Gano wasn't the problem yesterday.

eh its typical gano

clutch 27-yarder for a huge momentum swing in a playoff game? SHANK

58-yarder while down 15 and teetering on a blowout... of course he makes it

eh its typical gano

clutch 27-yarder for a huge momentum swing in a playoff game? SHANK

58-yarder while down 15 and teetering on a blowout... of course he makes it

I mean he's been the best kicker in the league this season.

Got beat because our worst two areas (secondary play and receiving corps) turned out to be exactly what they were. Dropped touchdown in the end zone and a corps with perhaps one total player above average at the position is what did us in. Brees owns us - picks us apart non-stop every time we play.

Got beat because our worst two areas (secondary play and receiving corps) turned out to be exactly what they were. Dropped touchdown in the end zone and a corps with perhaps one total player above average at the position is what did us in. Brees owns us - picks us apart non-stop every time we play.

We did OK against him when we got pressure - the first and last couple drives. During the majority/middle of the game our pass rush was very ineffective, even when blitzing. But yeah, secondary was bad all the way around.

I don't feel too badly about this game, because the Saints are absolutely the better team. I'm excited to see what gets done this offseason. We have some incredible talent that needs to be supported ASAP- Luke and Cam especially. On offense, Byrd and Samuel will add a lot of speed next season, and there won't be a need for Bersin and Clay to get minutes. As for defense, Worley is a liability, and needs to be reduced to nickle packages at most. I'm ok with the guys at safety, and the front 7 will still be one of the best.

I'm convinced after last night this is a Super Bowl caliber team next season with two additions: a legit WR1, and a big upgrade at the corner opposite Bradberry. For once, it would be awesome to see us sign a big-time offensive player in FA or trade. Martavis Bryant isn't happy with his role in Pitt? Come on down to the warmer weather and be our star wide receiver! Then, take a corner with the first round pick and have two very good players on the outside.

There are other needs. LT and RB are the next two in my opinion. As others have said, the RB class is so deep it's probably worth taking someone in the 4th or 5th round. That leaves the 2nd and 3rd open for taking a couple of tackles and hoping someone can replace Khalil (greater minds figure out how we get rid of him- I suggest calling the Browns). Then we win the super bowl.

I don't really agree with this. They give us matchup issues, but last night if Clay catches that pass, or if Funchess doesn't lose it in the lights, or if Gano hits a chip shot field goal, we win that game. They caught us on bad cam days earlier this year. I think we are a better team, even though I agree Kamara is a stud.

Ugh.... That's a huge mistake. Hopefully new ownership will bring in someone else.

I don't think there's much arguing that the Saints are better than the Panthers. They're objectively better almost in every spot. That said, we didn't commit any turnovers yesterday, only gave up a couple long plays, and left a lot of points on the board. We had a chance to win and couldn't capitalize. It's frustrating but that's what happens on the road in the playoffs: uphill battle where you have to take advantage of the toss ups to win. We didn't do so.

I don't really agree with this. They give us matchup issues, but last night if Clay catches that pass, or if Funchess doesn't lose it in the lights, or if Gano hits a chip shot field goal, we win that game. They caught us on bad cam days earlier this year. I think we are a better team, even though I agree Kamara is a stud.

That's why they're a better team. We had a small margin of error. We needed a great game from Cam and to make so many crucial plays just to barely win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back