• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. That’s a plus. Hopefully Tepper has learned a lot. Good to get an experienced owner overall. It would kinda be like hiring a top assistant from a top franchise as a head coach.
So you're getting [Redacted]?

Has a slice of the Steelers, makes sense that Jerry would like to sell to someone with Steeler ties cause he loves that organization

That may be part of the slow pace of the sale etc. He needs to sell his stake in the Steelers before he can buy another team.

2018 Carolina Panthers Offseason Thread: Wilks New Cardinals HC

Hurney named permanent GM. The price for the team should have just gone down.

Jarvis Landry franchise tagged - not that he was really much of an option with his likely asking price anyways. Are we going to tag Norwell? I'd hope not, for that much money. Already paying one guard a ton.

Awful move. He got us into cap salary hell and he’s sure to drive us back in it. Horrible in trade negations and horrible at making draft picks. Was hoping part of the deal with a new owner was they would have some say in the GM. Guess not

I mean is our organization just corrupt or do we simply not care moving forward?

fire the guy for fucking the team over
fire the replacement for...
replace him with previous guy on interim basis because literally no one else could do it?
hire that guy full time because it seems literally no one else could do it

Awful move. He got us into cap salary hell and he’s sure to drive us back in it. Horrible in trade negations and horrible at making draft picks. Was hoping part of the deal with a new owner was they would have some say in the GM. Guess not

Salary Cap hell, here we come again.... Thankfully the new ownership might want their own guy in there... :( Sad and disappointing hire.

I have to believe this is just the easiest and not best decision because the new owner will want his own guy

Super meh. Hurney will get at most a year before the new owner hires somebody.

I would imagine Tepper has someone from the Steelers organization in mind.

Yes I would have thought we'd be hearing more on this by now. I guess Richardson is in no hurry, but I thought the various factions would have been putting together their pitches since he announced he was selling and that meetings would be taking place from which we'd get some details.

Based on absolutely nothing I think Bank of America Stadium is not going to be in the long term plans for the new ownership

No doubt the new owners will go the usual route of threatening in some form to leave without a new, likely domed, stadium deal. One ownership group has already said a domed stadium will be needed. Hopefully CLT pushes back on public funding.

Super meh. Hurney will get at most a year before the new owner hires somebody.

I would imagine Tepper has someone from the Steelers organization in mind.

This! Although they just have just left him with the interim tag. At this point, they need Hurney to run the draft and free agency. A newby wouldn't be able to get up to speed fast enough. I think Hurney is gone after this year. He's terrible and the the new owner must know this, right?

What they're doing now is fine. Everybody is interim with new ownership on the way.

at least hurney is kinda good at drafting (outside of draft day trades)

so maybe he can get in one bomb ass draft and depart with new ownership

Googled Marty Hurney draft history and got this first hit. The first post in this thread has some let's say interesting takes

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/133040-marty-hurneys-draft-history/
A bit of revisionist history saying it was "pretty dang hard to miss" on Cam in 2011. Maybe that particular poster wasn't around back then. I remember A LOT of people, both fans and media, thought Cam was a surefire bust with a bad attitude who wouldn't be able to run past NFL defenders the way he did in college and who wasn't smart enough to read a defense. Peter King even wrote during the week of the draft, "Carolina picking Cam Newton. I'm not convinced the Panthers will. Not at all. You can't be sold on him after watching his performance in the classroom with Jon Gruden on his ESPN quarterback show. Ron Rivera's a defensive coach, and he can get a 10-year defensive tackle in Marcell Dareus."

Whether you credit Hurney or JR or whoever for pulling the trigger on Cam, it certainly wasn't a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back