• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, swapping out Star for Poe and one of the best players in Panther history for David Mayo, sure.

Poe for Star was a lean towards improvement, and TD is past it. What he said is pretty much spot on. Also improved at CB over last year. Safety basically a wash.

What we saw Sunday was extremely concerning

I’d rather have TD than the Mayo monster but to each his own.

CSR called out the WR coach.
https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...-has-some-explaining-to-do-nfl-devin-funchess

For me though, the biggest problem right now is that none of these guys seem to be “playing fast,” meaning, nothing about what they are doing is simply a reflex. They are not confident in their responsibilities and technique, and instead are out there looking like a middle-aged guy in ballroom dancing class. Now one, two, three and one, two, three, now step, pivot, turn...
This lack of perceived preparation has to come back on coaching, and that buck stops right on the head of second year receivers coach Lance Taylor. Taylor was always a curious hire to me, coming directly from a running backs coach job at Standford into a professional WR coach gig with the Panthers. He had not coached wide receivers specifically since 2009 when he was with Appalachian State University and their mighty fine football program. Even then, and far be it from me to hate on a fellow Mountaineer, but he was only a receivers coach for a single season.

Yes, hiring CMC's college RB coach as a WR coach is weird.

I’m sure this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but it’s jarring to me how bad the OL, WR and secondary are. If you just read those names it’s kind of amazing we’re 1-1 with a close road loss.

I’d rather have TD than the Mayo monster but to each his own.

No one is arguing that, but a downgrade at one position (where we are pretty damn deep) doesn't outweigh an improvement at 2-3 others. Which was his point all along

Not too worried about Sunday -- defense doesn't always travel in the NFL, even in 2015 we got gashed by the Giants and Saints and the Bucs too really. Just gotta bounce back this week.

Only concern would be reach the point like we did with Grobe's staff where if you continually promote from within, eventually the job will land in the hands of someone who is not capable

at least joe mixon isn't playing for the bengals

more worried about carlos dunlap than gio bernard this week

not sure that i've heard much on trai... he had a concussion at the end of last season so they're probably being very cautious

If those checkdowns to CMC keep neutralizing Dlines eventually someone will have to bring another guy up to watch that. That'll lead to some Wr's getting open and bigger plays. I HOPE

I’m sure this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but it’s jarring to me how bad the OL, WR and secondary are. If you just read those names it’s kind of amazing we’re 1-1 with a close road loss.

OL without Turner is scary bad, agreed. The WR group isn't that bad once Samuel and Byrd come back. We'll at least have a lot of speed. But I agree relying on Funchess and Smith isn't going to get you anywhere.

OL without Turner is scary bad, agreed. The WR group isn't that bad once Samuel and Byrd come back. We'll at least have a lot of speed. But I agree relying on Funchess and Smith isn't going to get you anywhere.

giphy.gif

And Falcons fans were more than happy to rejoice in the Panthers Super Bowl failure, then and now.

And it's not like they didn't show up for their own Super Bowl against the Broncos in 1999.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back