• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was plenty of time and two timeouts. No need for Norv to be in desperation mode. Plenty of time to let Cam improvise or run. Plenty of time to throw something short to CMC or DJ. The whole playbook was available.

I wonder if Cam was calling plays in the hurry up before the timeout.

Amen. Weird to end a game in desperation with 2 timeouts still on the board. Could have run ball for 5 yards and attacked middle of field just as they had all way down field but threw to tight corner of end zone twice with little to no chance. Olsen open in middle of field on 3rd down for an easy 5 yards first and goal. That game does huge monkey wrench in chance for playoffs

Amen. Weird to end a game in desperation with 2 timeouts still on the board. Could have run ball for 5 yards and attacked middle of field just as they had all way down field but threw to tight corner of end zone twice with little to no chance. Olsen open in middle of field on 3rd down for an easy 5 yards first and goal. That game does huge monkey wrench in chance for playoffs

Norv is by far most overrated OC. He just doesn’t know how to use his weapons and way too predictable. Jarius is just meh and should not be on field with Samuels on the bench. Curtis puts so much pressure on a D and have to get him more involved.

And Cam is just so inconsistent and streaky. Blew that one.

Want more Samuel? Gonna get more Samuel. Deep Samuel. He only had 12 snaps last week.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/curtis-samuel-could-give-panthers-the-deep-threat-that-they-need/

Screw you, Norv.

Although it remains to be seen exactly how much Samuel will be used as the Panthers try to get him back into football shape - Coming off of a procedure on his heart that forced him to miss the first month of the season, Samuel only played 12 snaps against the Giants - Offensive coordinator Norv Turner has made it clear that the Panthers plan to give Samuel more opportunities.
"We tell him, 'We're trying to put you in a position where you can use your ability'", said Turner. "We've just got to continue to work to get him comfortable with more and more things so he can get the ball in space and do his deal."

Norv’s quotes have all the sincerity of Ron Wellman’s “historical competitiveness.” Apparently his ability is to fill bench space and fetch a surface tablet for Torrey Smith.

I picked him up as a cheap sleeper in my draft kings based on high hopes from last week that the staff could build on that. Zero point zero. Fuckin norv

CJ Anderson got one snap today too

Geez. Two legit offensive weapons doing nothing.

I guess we ran fewer plays than usual because the D allowed long drives. Still want to see CJ play to give CMC rest and to utilize two back sets. I don't remember seeing Armah either.

Completely went away from the run when there was no need to do so

I still think the gutless play calling on the first drive 4th down and the last possession of the first half lost the game.

Punting certainly set the tone. Got a whopping 30 yards of field position on that punt.
Especially when the Redskins went for it (and converted) two drives later.

We had 4th and 1 at our 47 with Cam Newton and punted.

They had 4th and 1 at their 45 with Alex Smith and let him dive forward for the first down. Then eventually scored a TD on that drive.

Just gutless.

I still think the gutless play calling on the first drive 4th down and the last possession of the first half lost the game.

You have the world's largest and strongest human at QB and it's 4th and 1, and you punt? I bet if you flat out told the Redskins you were going to run a QB sneak 100 times in a row, Cam would still get the 1st down 99 times. I love Rivera, but that is just absurd to punt in that situation.

I think all NFL QBs are ~92% conversion or 3rd or 4th and 1 or less on sneaks this year. Cam should obviously be above that average, although he did get stopped on one against the Giants.

Rivera said in presser there wasn’t even a thought to go for it. So much inefficiency that teams self-inflict.

Are you allowed to use any sort of AI on sidelines to help make decisions? Seems like having one dude on staff to do nothing but look at real time data and clock management would be a great investment.

We’ve been talking about that “one smart guy” on the sidelines idea for years.

Oh I know. Honestly think (not too different from our infamous recruiting algorithm) this is somewhere Wake could differentiate themselves.

The Pats have that weird Rain Man Ernie Adams that’s in charge of special projects so it’s not unprecedented.

Glad to see DB Josh Norman get back on his old team that got rid of him. That is the ultimate when you have a great game against them, then go punk the QB who is trying to trash talk you after he loses!

Rivera said in presser there wasn’t even a thought to go for it. So much inefficiency that teams self-inflict.

Are you allowed to use any sort of AI on sidelines to help make decisions? Seems like having one dude on staff to do nothing but look at real time data and clock management would be a great investment.

I which one of the local guys would ask it like, "Coach, can you comment on the gutless and statistically incorrect decision not to go for it on 4th down during the first drive?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back