• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.panthers.com/news/grill-bill-after-not-drafting-safety-who-now-the-favorite

Website submission from Keith in Charlotte: Why would we waste a 3rd-round pick on a quarterback when we already have a franchise quarterback?

Plenty of you got upset at me last weekend for arguing for this, but I struggle to understand the uproar.

Well, I do in a way. It’s almost impossible to have cordial conversations when it comes to quarterbacks. But to me, this was easy.

The last time we saw Cam Newton, he was not well. Then he underwent his second shoulder procedure in the past three years. Obviously, the best case scenario is he returns to the Newton of old and Will Grier never sees the field unless it’s the preseason or mop-up duty.

I get it’s tough to stomach – passing on a position of need like safety for a guy who, hopefully, won’t play. But the Panthers had to at least try to improve their backup options at THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN SPORTS.

Sure, Kyle Allen looked great against the Saints. But that was one game. It’s impossible to know if he'd be a dependable backup if the Panthers ever need one. You can say the same about Grier, and if you're somehow already convinced he won't be a good pro, OK. But I’m completely cool with throwing a quarterback dart at pick 100.

I also get the concern about how some in the fan base will react if/when Newton shows any signs of struggling while a draft pick sits on the bench. It's a shame a certain segment will continue to root for him to fail, but you can't let stuff like that affect a prudent football decision.

I usually avoid using quotes in this space, but few around the league offer as reasonable perspective as Greg Olsen. So if you don’t buy what I’m selling, here’s what he said when I asked him for his reaction to the Grier pick the other day:

“I don’t think anybody has any false sense of who our quarterback is. I think that’s pretty clear. But to get a young guy to develop – we’ve seen it happen with other teams. You never know what the future holds, and you see teams with star quarterbacks draft guys and develop them. You can never have enough good guys at an (important) position.”

Can't decide if evidence of ATL decline or CLT decline that Cam chooses to open his spot in the A.

Please get back to us when you decide.

fb1bd24491165fe15586c4fffc8bc918.jpg

Speaking of QBs, there are reports Delomme will replace Eugene in the booth for at least some games.

That’s $600K per job for 200 jobs. And some of those jobs would go to people living in NC.

Tepper is worth $11B. The entire SC budget for 2019 is $9.3B. This plan makes no sense from SC’s perspective. I assume it’s the start of a negotiation to get the MLS team and move the Panthers to Greenville, but that’s a steep price to start the process.

That’s $600K per job for 200 jobs. And some of those jobs would go to people living in NC.

Tepper is worth $11B. The entire SC budget for 2019 is $9.3B. This plan makes no sense from SC’s perspective. I assume it’s the start of a negotiation to get the MLS team and move the Panthers to Greenville, but that’s a steep price to start the process.

Lol wait, what?!?

The tax cuts aren't spending money. They're taking in less in additional revenue than they would otherwise. The state Commerce Department estimated that additional revenue at $3.8 billion over 15 years. Harpootlian argued against the bill on the ground that the net benefit was "only" $1.1 billion. The benefits are essentially the same as those offered to Boeing and Volvo.

Dick Harpootlian is a fantastic name.

This is a legit concern from Dick’s report.

“The state's analysis assumes all 150 players, coaches and staff would move to South Carolina, they would spend all their wages in the state, all the construction expenses would be spent in South Carolina and that the complex would be on par with one of the NFL's most popular franchises, the Dallas Cowboys, according to the report.”

Well yeah, if a few dozen millionaires move to the state, that should help boost revenues. But that’s not going to happen. Dick’s $1.1B seems much more likely. Then the question is if SC could spend $120M on something that could generate more than $75M a year for 15 years. They probably could.

“The state's analysis assumes all 150 players, coaches and staff would move to South Carolina, they would spend all their wages in the state, all the construction expenses would be spent in South Carolina and that the complex would be on par with one of the NFL's most popular franchises, the Dallas Cowboys, according to the report.”

Well yeah, if a few dozen millionaires move to the state, that should help boost revenues. But that’s not going to happen. Dick’s $1.1B seems much more likely. Then the question is if SC could spend $120M on something that could generate more than $75M a year for 15 years. They probably could.

so what? so the worst case is that it only brings in $1.1bn of incremental revenue to SC? sounds like a pretty good deal for a shithole state to me

My understanding is that the incentives would apply to any service-based business, just as the prior incentives applied to manufacturing-based businesses, and thus covered Boeing and Volvo, but not the Panthers. If another service-based business were looking to relocate to the State, I'm sure they would be welcomed with open arms.

The two are not mutually exclusive because, again, the money is not being spent. Instead of bringing in $83 million a year in tax revenue (the number that would be realized under Harpootlian's estimate if the Panthers were to relocate with the existing law in place), the State would be capturing an additional $75 million a year. The $8 million/year difference times 15 years is where the $120 million number comes from. The only upfront/opportunity costs are those associated with the possible construction of a new interchange, which could run up to $40 million.

Either leave it in Spartanburg or move it to Charlotte. The players don’t want to be anywhere but Charlotte so they can be close to home.

Do the players get more weeks of multiple states taking income tax out of their paychecks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back