• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would we, as fans, say are Rivera's greatest strengths and weaknesses? He's made it to the super bowl, but lost bc of one guy on the D-line. The players seem to respect him, maybe like him as well. He's had some weird drafts, unique talents, and at least 2 generational talents. I have a feeling clutch playcalling is going to be his biggest knock, which is strange considering his moniker praises him for it. Overall, he's 64 - 47. So what say yee? If his tenure ended today, what would be his legacy, for better or worse?

Last edited:
The first ep of All or Nothing was good. Greg was awesome.

I think he was outcoached in that Super Bowl for not adjusting the offense after halftime, but you can also argue that essentially turnovers are what lost us that game too, just a matter of what you want to pin it on. It's odd that he seemed to embrace the Riverboat Ron philosophy for one season, but then did not stick with it and there have been a handful of games I feel like we've lost because of overly conservative decisions in the last few seasons.

None of this has anything to do with how he is viewed as a leader and mentor, which seems to be a least somewhat strong if you give him credit for player development (not batting 100% on it, but overall I think he's gotten a lot out of the talent pool he's had) and for assistant coaches getting other jobs.

2019 Carolina Panthers OTAs

People forget that Super Bowl was basically played on a sheet of ice. It made Kony Ealy look like a beast and Von Miller was unstoppable.

Rivera will likely end up on that long list of good but not great head coaches who eventually wore out their welcome. We still haven’t had two straight winning seasons.

What would we, as fans, say are Rivera's greatest strengths and weaknesses? He's made it to the super bowl, but lost bc of one guy on the D-line. The players seem to respect him, maybe like him as well. He's had some weird drafts, unique talents, and at least 2 generational talents. I have a feeling clutch playcalling is going to be his biggest knock, which is strange considering his moniker praises him for it. Overall, he's 64 - 47. So what say yee? If his tenure ended today, what would be his legacy, for better or worse?

Pros: Players coach, excellent face of the franchise, defensive play calling (I think, to be continued this season)

Cons: Clock management, Only turns to young talent when forced, Abundance of loyalty to assistant coaches, Only gambles when it's already too late

People forget that Super Bowl was basically played on a sheet of ice. It made Kony Ealy look like a beast and Von Miller was unstoppable.

Rivera will likely end up on that long list of good but not great head coaches who eventually wore out their welcome. We still haven’t had two straight winning seasons.

I haven't ever brought myself to rewatch that game, but yes knowing that the OL was giving Cam no time, the offense needed to adjust from the long developing stuff that had worked all season. My dad sent this email the other day on that Super Bowl though (his dominant trait as far as fandom is that referees are 100% terrible):

I taped SB 50 again, from Fox Sports 1, a show called "Turning Point",
which is 1 hour long. I have not yet watched the whole hour. But while
watching Around the Horn today, I flipped over during a commercial and
it was right when Cam fumbled the ball late in the game. One major point
was made by the announcer on this particular play, a point that
surprisingly to me, I had NEVER heard mentioned until seeing this
replay. They showed some angles I had not seen. Anyway, this announcer
says there should have been a penalty called on Von Miller on this play
for intentionally batting the football backward toward our goal line.
And they have a GREAT angle shot that shows that is exactly what Miller
did. Then the announcer also says, but Clete never saw that part of the
play because he was tripping over his own 2 feet backpedaling to see who
was going to recover the ball. And they have a great shot of him
tripping too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he's a good coach Monday through Saturday but not a great game coach. He thinks/adjusts too slow within a game and his clock and risk management is awful. He's also way too stubborn in personnel decisions like sticking with Cam too long last year and playing shitty vets over promising younger players when it's obvious that's a dumb idea.

Sticking with Cam was just horrible. It's clear we were losing because Cam had no arm and needed to heal. But Ron kept playing him because we weren't mathematically eliminated. Just made no sense, especially because CMC was clicking and Moore and Samuel showed promise. It was a half measure. Either sit all the veterans for the rest of the season and try to lose or see if Heinecke and Allen could get manage the offense enough to win.

Ron needs an analytics guy to give him a card of things to do when - calculate on being Riverboat Ron before the game even begins. Otherwise, he is too old school to think outside the box on the fly. The NFL has not really embraced analytics yet like baseball has. You'd think Cleveland would have been the first with their hires. Still room out there to really be the first.

I guess with all teams being on relatively same financial footing in the NFL, there is not a team as desperate as the A's were to embrace analytics. But for us, if you don't have a brilliant coach, become brilliant with situation specific analytics.

Ron needs an analytics guy to give him a card of things to do when - calculate on being Riverboat Ron before the game even begins. Otherwise, he is too old school to think outside the box on the fly. The NFL has not really embraced analytics yet like baseball has. You'd think Cleveland would have been the first with their hires. Still room out there to really be the first.

I guess with all teams being on relatively same financial footing in the NFL, there is not a team as desperate as the A's were to embrace analytics. But for us, if you don't have a brilliant coach, become brilliant with situation specific analytics.

Tepper made Rivera hire a Game Manager and the Panthers just hired their first Director of Analytics

So moving in the right direction

Tepper is that dude

He should buy the hornets

Sticking with Cam was just horrible. It's clear we were losing because Cam had no arm and needed to heal. But Ron kept playing him because we weren't mathematically eliminated. Just made no sense, especially because CMC was clicking and Moore and Samuel showed promise. It was a half measure. Either sit all the veterans for the rest of the season and try to lose or see if Heinecke and Allen could get manage the offense enough to win.

part of me agrees with you. part of me thinks he probably felt his ass was on the line with a new owner, and anyone who feels they're trying to save their job is going to go with an injured Cam over some QB named Heinecke

2019 Carolina Panthers OTAs

Tepper made Rivera hire a Game Manager and the Panthers just hired their first Director of Analytics

So moving in the right direction

Tepper is that dude

He should buy the hornets

I like any billionaire owner who watches games like a nervous wreck like he watched the opener. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Watching ep 2. Ton of irony in Rivera’s speech after the Falcons game. The lack of self-awareness is apparent.

Last edited:
Man, Donte Jackson does not come off well in All or Nothing. It would be easier to shrug off if it was an isolated thing but you can tell his teammates don’t think much of him as a person. Hopefully he matures.

Watched the Steelers game ep. I’m not quite sure if I agree with your take. They talked at him the same way parents talk to a rowdy 7 year old before taking him to his auntie’s wedding. Part of that was just being worried that he was facing the best WR in the league. So I don’t know if they don’t like him. Maybe there’s more in the other eps.

I agree that DJ came out the worst in AoN. I'm not sure they were attacking his character, but it was obvious they don't think he can focus in any way, practice or game.

DJ was pretty mad on twitter about how he was portrayed. I hated to see that, I liked him last year. He makes mistakes but he's got tons of potential and seemed like a fiery competitor. Hope he works out. I thought Cam came across as a pretty damn good leader in the show. I've always been on his good side so I was happy to see that and it really made me appreciate that we have had him for his whole career. If he is healthy next year I think we have a great shot at 10+ wins. Glad to get rid of Funchess, seemed like a headcase and his talent never came through as a true WR1. We really need to DJ to be able to contribute big time out of the wide spot next year. Wish we could've gotten some Curtis samuel or shaq coverage in the show, mostly focused on the older vets, half of them are gone now.

I liked ron, he seemed like a good leader but definitely is old school football. Think this is still his make or break year with Tepper. Which speaking of, I think Tepper is an A++++ owner from what I can see. We are lucky to have him. He will do whatever it takes to keep us at the forefront as far as facilities, technology and to make sure we have a competitive football team. I am extremely happy he bought the panthers.

The vets were 100% spot on when they said the INTs were masking the mistakes. I was glad to see them throw that out there at Action Jackson

The vets were 100% spot on when they said the INTs were masking the mistakes. I was glad to see them throw that out there at Action Jackson

Yeah agree 100%. Cornerback has to be the worst position in the game. Have a great game for 99% of the plays but give up one big one and you played bad.

The vets came across really well too. The DB vets and the vets in general. You can tell Cam, Luke, Kalil, Greg, and TD had a ton of respect. Going to be interesting to see if the dynamics change with TD and Kalil gone.

I think part of the frustration with Jackson is they do think he can be really really good. He's got the highest ceiling of any of the young players on D. Also part of the context is Josh Norman probably had a similar arch, so the old guys have been through it before and seen a young guy with a big mouth and lots of talent become one of the best in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back