• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

People definitely heard of him after the 04 convention Audacity of Hope speech

Sure, but 2004 was a long time ago, man. There was hardly the level of political media saturation that there is now. If you paid attention/watched cable news/read NYT/WaPo, then you probably had heard the name, but it's kind of hard to imagine that he was a household name. For example, I volunteered with the Forsyth County Dems around that time on the Kerry campaign and I don't remember much Obama talk...

Jesus Strick, you’d piss on the JFK Eternal Flame in Arlington if you could.

Sure, but 2004 was a long time ago, man. There was hardly the level of political media saturation that there is now. If you paid attention/watched cable news/read NYT/WaPo, then you probably had heard the name, but it's kind of hard to imagine that he was a household name. For example, I volunteered with the Forsyth County Dems around that time on the Kerry campaign and I don't remember much Obama talk...

Whoa, you volunteered for the radical centrist campaign of John Kerry?

Jesus Strick, you’d piss on the JFK Eternal Flame in Arlington if you could.

What triggered that response, ADT? That's gross and pretty offensive.

I'm just saying that Obama wasn't a household name when I was canvassing for Kerry in Winston in 2004. I don't remember hearing much about Obama prior to 2008 outside of a friend of mine in college who was really excited about him and dropped out to work on his campaign in early 2007.

Twitter and Facebook were still curiosities through 2008. I don't even think Wake folks could get on Facebook until after 2007? Shit was still Ivy League/adjacent exclusive when I first got to college. Twitter was founded in 2006. Cable news was ubiquitous, but hardly working as mass political culture to the extent that it is today.

We can create revisionist histories about Democratic electoral strategy, but that doesn't seem to be working out very well for those of who work to get candidates elected every couple years. I haven't been around that long, but I have been around long enough to question the claim that Obama was a household name in 2004/6.

Whoa, you volunteered for the radical centrist campaign of John Kerry?

I did! I didn't meet any Wake kids, unfortunately, but there were a handful of really dedicated local activists who put in good work on that campaign in NC. It was revealing for me because I did not like Kerry at all (even then I was allergic to radical centrism, I suppose), but got to understand the importance of canvassing, phone banking, and tabling to electoral politics at a young age.

I graduated in 07 and I’m like 95% sure we got Facebook my sophomore year

You'll have to look, but I don't think that was the case. (I graduated in 09 and Facebook was still exclusive to a handful of .edu addresses when I was a freshman.)

Anyway, Facebook was really different then than it is now. The nature of mass culture/communication has changed a lot. Everything and everybody becomes a household name far more easily than they did back in 2004/6. That's my only point. Equating that claim to pissing on the grave of an American hero seems more than a bit inappropriate.

You'll have to look, but I don't think that was the case. (I graduated in 09 and Facebook was still exclusive to a handful of .edu addresses when I was a freshman.)

Anyway, Facebook was really different then than it is now. The nature of mass culture/communication has changed a lot. Everything and everybody becomes a household name far more easily than they did back in 2004/6. That's my only point. Equating that claim to pissing on the grave of an American hero seems more than a bit inappropriate.

Here’s an OGB from Sept. 2004 (sophomore year for the class of 07 like me) with an article about how it’s the hot new thing on campus: https://wakespace.lib.wfu.edu/bitstream/handle/10339/36722/09-16-04.pdf

My roommate was on it pretty quickly but I thought it was dumb and took a while to sign on. Reason I can remember it from that year is having memories of sitting in our Effird dorm room and talking about it.

Sure but I doubt anybody was talking about Obama’s DNC speech on Facebook back then.

I don’t doubt FB is different then, I don’t even know if you could post status updates then. I was just was countering his assertion it came to Wake late. But I do remember hearing Obama discussed on campus then.

He was known among people who follow politics but far from a household name. Obama’s first Time Magazine cover was Oct 2006, over two years after his DNC speech. Pete already had his first.

Maybe belongs on the GOP Christian Hypocrisy thread, but also here. Mayor Pete is the man. Right now, he’s my front runner:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...0-democratic-primary-trump-column/3342767002/

“Buttigieg criticized right-wing Christians for “saying so much about what Christ said so little about, and so little about what he said so much about.”

I realize he’s not talking policy, but it’s refreshing for him to help bring progressive Christianity to the light along with people like Rev. Barber.

IAT, what do you think of mayor Pete?

I did! I didn't meet any Wake kids, unfortunately, but there were a handful of really dedicated local activists who put in good work on that campaign in NC. It was revealing for me because I did not like Kerry at all (even then I was allergic to radical centrism, I suppose), but got to understand the importance of canvassing, phone banking, and tabling to electoral politics at a young age.

I canvassed a lot for Kerry in Missouri while in grad school. That was after I gave my first political donation ever to Dennis Kucinich in the primary. I sold out and canvassed for Kerry because I thought GW was the worst president ever. I was so young and naïve.

As a high schooler, I worked on that Kerry campaign in Winston in 2004 too. We probably hung out back then, strick. I still wear my HARRELL FOR CONGRESS shirt but the holes are getting a little much for wearing in public.

I got Facebook freshman year, in December 2005, after vehemently refusing to sign up for an entire semester. My suitemates locked me out of the room, signed me up (in August), but couldn't find my social security card to hack my new wake email and click the confirm link. Still says I joined in August '05 though.

I remember Townie telling me in 2004 that Obama was going to be president. He called it.

Maybe belongs on the GOP Christian Hypocrisy thread, but also here. Mayor Pete is the man. Right now, he’s my front runner:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...0-democratic-primary-trump-column/3342767002/

“Buttigieg criticized right-wing Christians for “saying so much about what Christ said so little about, and so little about what he said so much about.”

I realize he’s not talking policy, but it’s refreshing for him to help bring progressive Christianity to the light along with people like Rev. Barber.

IAT, what do you think of mayor Pete?

BUTTIGIEG: Well, my understanding of my faith is that, through a Christian framework, part of what we are called to do is to lay down our own self-interests after the model of divinity that comes into this world in the form of Christ and lays down his life. And in order to do that, you have to care about something or someone more than yourself. So much of the New Testament is about love, the idea that God is love, the idea that the greatest of these - faith, hope and love, right? - is love. And there are a lot of different forms, and we could get into biblical scholarship and talk about a lot of different translations of Greek words that are rendered as love in the English language.

But I think there's a real relationship between romantic love and the kind of love that is talked about in my faith tradition, the kind of love that motivates and animates the kind of sacrifice and the kind of humility and the kind of reaching out to others that I believe my faith calls on me to do, and that that is the way to be nearer to God. And my marriage has done that for me because there's a person in my life who I learned to care about more than I care about myself. And that kind of expansion of your set of things you care about that can only happen - I imagine whenever it is my turn for parenting, it'll blow my mind on a whole new level. But...

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=725132053

compare that to the current "super Christian" POTUS

I canvassed a lot for Kerry in Missouri while in grad school. That was after I gave my first political donation ever to Dennis Kucinich in the primary. I sold out and canvassed for Kerry because I thought GW was the worst president ever. I was so young and naïve.

Kerry had kind of a stilted personality, similar to Gore. That said, I think he would have won had the election been a year or 2 later. In 2004, a lot of folks were souring on the Iraq War, but I think the public mood was to let Bush see it through. I too thought at the time that he was 1 of the worst presidents ever, but in retrospect, now I think he's a nice man but just wasn't the brightest tool in the shed and surrounded himself with the wrong people in Cheney, Rice and Wolfowitz. His dad was a lot brighter and surrounded himself with better people.

People with personalities like Gore, Kerry, Romney, Hillary, and McCain after he drained much of the humor from his political persona just don’t win Presidential general elections. Beer test and all that.

Much of the problem with Kerry’s campaign was also the clueless Dem leadership who just thought anger at Bush would carry Kerry to victory. They just couldn’t understand how Bush had broad support. Republicans were fighting the culture wars that Democrats just became aware of in 2016. I think there is some hope that the country has shifted enough on gay rights and Republicans have gone too far on abortion that both issues could be winners for Democrats.

People with personalities like Gore, Kerry, Romney, Hillary, and McCain after he drained much of the humor from his political persona just don’t win Presidential general elections. Beer test and all that.

Much of the problem with Kerry’s campaign was also the clueless Dem leadership who just thought anger at Bush would carry Kerry to victory. They just couldn’t understand how Bush had broad support. Republicans were fighting the culture wars that Democrats just became aware of in 2016. I think there is some hope that the country has shifted enough on gay rights and Republicans have gone too far on abortion that both issues could be winners for Democrats.

Could be. If my religious Pub family is any go by, they don't go for gay marriage but begrudgingly are coming around a bit on gay rights, though trans is still a bridge too far. One reason they're coming along is a well liked in-law niece got married to her partner a year ago, and her partner is cool too. Buttigieg is going to be a good test as to how far the country has shifted, and that's going to be 1 of the more interesting aspects of the 2020 race. As for abortion, 538 had that as 1 of their podcast topics this week. The general take is that most folks don't want Roe overturned, and it's good for conservative news outlets when liberal states push for more late term abortions and vice-versa when states like Alabama do what they did. I would add that Pat Robertson coming out against the Alabama law shows that Pubs are overreaching right about now as they're trying to overturn Roe. And I don't think they're reading Justice Roberts correctly. He loves the Court and its traditions, and I bet he was horrified by the Kavanaugh nomination process. I would be astonished if he voted to overrule Roe on a 5-4 vote. And once again, the Court is 1 of the most crucial reasons we can't blow the 2020 election - 8 years of Trump (or Pence) would irreparably harm our federal judiciary.

I have a tough time believing the states are making these moves without some advice from the Supreme Court on how to proceed. Overturning Roe has been THE public goal of the conservative legal community for the last 30+ years.

Back