• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

The majority of voters should just sit back and take it while a minority games the system through gerrrymandering, voter supression, packing the courts and other means to ensure they have as much control as possible before retreating into an oppose everything mode as their minority gets more pronounced.

The Dims lost an election, and now they want to limit Supreme Court justices' terms, pack the Supreme Court, do away with the electoral college, add safe Dim states, expand electoral fraud through ballot harvesting, maintain the chaos of open borders, encourage defying the law through illegal immigration and sanctuary cities, ruin the economy with the pointless and unworkable Green New Deal, legalize the killing of babies inside and outside the womb, expand drug use, encourage those attacking free speech, do away with well-established constitutional rights, and falsely promise to provide free college and health care for all... and Donald Trump is the threat to the Constitution and the country? The Donkeys are headed for a cliff. With policies like these, godspeed, step left this way.

You are a completely sane person.

Lol

The 18 year terms, staggered so every president has opportunity for 2 nominations, has likely benefits for us as a nation. Not for any particular party.

What shall we do with a drunken sailor early in the mornin’?

Is the threat of being fired the only reason you don’t cheat to let your students pass? If you knew your admin wouldn’t punish you, would you give them the answer key?

So an honor system. That’s my point.

So an honor system. That’s my point.

Given that many of our government practices and institutions, that were put in place as principles and traditions, and were held in place by ethics and honor, have been undermined by the current administration and incarnation of the GOP, this is a valid concern.

Mayor Pete just called Trump a draft dodger and racist.

This should be fun.

No. Much of society is governed by formal norms supported by a system of sanctions. There are blindspots where those formal norms either do not exist or the sanctions have no weight because there are people powerful enough to manipulate the rules or sanctions in their favor.

I'm not sure what your point is unless you're just assuming powerful conservatives have honor.

Pelosi. Members of Congress and the candidates should start repeating this, "President Trump shouldn't be worried about impeachment. He should be worried about going to prison in 2021 like his campaign manager and personal lawyer."

Someone should say this every day. His head would explode.

No. Much of society is governed by formal norms supported by a system of sanctions. There are blindspots where those formal norms either do not exist or the sanctions have no weight because there are people powerful enough to manipulate the rules or sanctions in their favor.

I'm not sure what your point is unless you're just assuming powerful conservatives have honor.

You mean formal norms like professional ethics and a system of sanctions like impeachment?

You asked what kept SCOTUS justices from breaking their ethical responsibilities - and the answer is the things that keeps most people from doing that. A combo of the potential sanctions and morality.

So you DO think Senate Republicans would impeach a SCOTUS justice who coordinated with the states.

You keep changing your mind on this.

no, i don't think they would impeach a SCOTUS justice for that.

we can barely contemplate impeaching Trump and he's the most incompetent, treasonous piece of shit ever

Exactly. Somehow District struggles to accept that rules only matter if people in power enforce them.

Exactly. Somehow District struggles to accept that rules only matter if people in power enforce them.

Jesus you're insufferable. You asked what stops Justices from coordinating with states. I said its because there is a combo of a set of ethics laws that form the basis of the profession. possible consequences (impeachment), plus their own morality. If you don't want to believe that's enough to stop them from coordinating, then that's your opinion. But it doesn't mean I "struggle" with anything.

District, if those consequences are not possible then they're not possible consequences. But I'm fine ending this stupid conversation. You have more confidence in Senate Republicans doing the right thing than I do. Whatever.

Interesting poll discussed in 538 that shows Sanders does much better with voters who aren't following the race. Could be an age effect. Could be a sign he has more ground to lose. Biden does better with high information voters.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...s-running-are-more-popular-with-swing-voters/

District, if those consequences are not possible then they're not possible consequences. But I'm fine ending this stupid conversation. You have more confidence in Senate Republicans doing the right thing than I do. Whatever.

Do you not understand the word combo, or just willfully ignoring it?

We can go back to the question of whether you would give you students the answers to a test if you knew you wouldn't be punished for it, if that would help.

I mean, what keeps the president from breaking the law or acting unethically?

Apparently not any part of our formal justice system.

Just the constitutional system of checks/balances, which largely depends on congressional oversight and impeachment, etc.

It's not about the "Republican" senate. But congress, however comprised (or compromised, lol) politically.

It's not a perfect system. Nor is it for anyone.

For SC justices, much like the president, it really seems to boil down to a free press, oversight by congress, and the prevailing political winds.

Last edited:
Do you not understand the word combo, or just willfully ignoring it?

We can go back to the question of whether you would give you students the answers to a test if you knew you wouldn't be punished for it, if that would help.

District, you’re describing an honor system. I’m saying an honor system is not sufficient when leaders have no honor.

We are going in circles. Just stop. You believe “honor” is sufficient. I don’t. That’s fine. Some people believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus and we don’t shame them for it.

Back