• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

If Trump wins in 2020, Pence would most likely be the front runner in 2024. It's how these things work.

Yeah. We tend to forget that because Cheney didn't run. Mondale in 1984. Bush in 1988. Gore in 2000. If Biden doesn't win, he'd be the first former VP to lose a party nomination in a long time.

I'm not sure I want him in the white house, but I really want Steve Bullock in the senate. Hopefully he makes the obvious choice.

I'm a little surprised he didn't at least get into the debate given that he seems like a very reasonable, moderate choice. A more practical "return to normalcy."

I get that moderates don't rally the troops, but still. If we're having 20 reps in the debate, he should have been one. He could also potentially make a more progressive candidate palatable to the masses as their VP.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Moulton didn't get in. He was actually kind of known before he ran and doesn't seem to generate any animosity.

Stupid-ass country, stupid-ass results

giphy.gif

WTF Cory Booker? I have to knock his "relatability" score waaaaay down. Klobacher too.

Booker is a vegetarian. Tulsi can GTFO with this "vegan" cupcake shit. It's not that hard to make cupcakes vegan.

A South Bend cop shot and killed a young black man this weekend. The cop had been accused of making racist comments by citizens and fellow cops. He turned off his body cam prior to the shooting. Pete stepped off the campaign trail to address it and attend events in the community.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/449652-buttigieg-responds-to-fatal-police-shooting

Here is the email he sent to his mailing list.

Right now, my hometown of South Bend is hurting. This past weekend, a member of our South Bend community – a Black man named Eric Logan – lost his life at the hands of another member of our community – a white police officer.
While the case is still being investigated, we do know this: a South Bend family is enduring the crushing and inconsolable anguish that far too many Black and Latino families across the country have shared. Our city, and our nation, demands answers about the dynamic between our police officers and the communities they are sworn to protect.
I am not from a community of color, and I pray that I’ll never get the terrible phone call that Eric Logan’s family received last Sunday. But Eric’s death – no matter what details emerge about the circumstances and the actions of the officer involved – shines a bright light on a subject that impacts my life, your life, and the lives of Americans from all walks of life. All police work and all of American life takes place in the shadow of racism, which hurts everyone and everything it touches. Historic racism, present-day racism, and generational racism – they all secrete a kind of poison into the bloodstream of this country. And we must join together to make things right, no matter how demanding that process may be.
When someone sees police car lights in his neighborhood and is filled with fear instead of reassurance, that should move all of us to demand a change in how policing is done. When someone gets followed around a store by a security guard because she committed the sin of shopping while Black, that should spark outrage in all of us, whether we know her or not. When a parent is forced to discuss with their child how they – differently than their white peers – must be cautious in how they move and speak when confronted by a police officer, that should break all of our hearts.
There is a direct relationship between what happened in our nation’s past and what’s happening now. We cannot take racist policies and replace them with neutral policies and expect things to even out; the consequences of racial hurt for the economic and physical security of all Americans, and especially Black Americans, shape our times.
We must do more. Here at home, building on past work that has included civilian oversight, police data transparency, bias and civil rights trainings, we are now taking further steps to end the divide of distrust between police and those they serve – with transparency and accountability as our central guides.
In new ways, we will elicit community input on the policies that decide how the police department does its work – policies on body cameras, the use of force, and the prevention of bias – and we will empower community members to help shape how these policies are put into practice.
No diverse community – least of all our country as a whole – can move forward without directly confronting how racism undermines everything we work to achieve. In our past and our present, we have innumerable moments in which racial injustice came at the hands of those trusted with being instruments of justice, and this fact burdens all of us.
I believe that if there is any place that can overcome the things that are pulling people apart, it’s here in America, especially my hometown.
I thank you for your moral support in these efforts as we seek to build a safer and more just city and country.
Pete
Pete for America
PO Box 1226
South Bend, IN 46624
United States
Paid for by Pete For America.
You're an important part of this team, but if you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe

Here is the letter Pete sent supporters about it.

Good job, Pete.
I keep reading that a police officer turned off their body camera. Why are they able to do that?
Seems like you might do that when you are about to do something you don’t want to be recorded. We know we can’t trust our police to make that decision. It is absurd that the police get to control what evidence is available. We can’t always rely on the chance there is a bystander with a cellphone

I don’t think a cop’s word should be automatically considered evidence if the body cam is turned off.

It’s a shame that the ultimate ruling in this case will affect his campaign.

Is it the same thing to “defend” segregationists as to work with them if you are together in a legislative body and can find reasonable common cause?

When that reasonable common cause was anti-busing and anti-desegregation legislation?

Why should it be impressive that racist old dudes liked Biden?

Ok, so for good cause it would be ok?

I hope so.

One of the reasons IMO congress has become increasingly impotent (and we’ve become perilously dependent on executive power) is the hyperpartisan posturing of mostly Pubs in recent years. I hope the Dems can avoid mimicry of this, as possible.

Good job, Pete.
I keep reading that a police officer turned off their body camera. Why are they able to do that?
Seems like you might do that when you are about to do something you don’t want to be recorded. We know we can’t trust our police to make that decision. It is absurd that the police get to control what evidence is available. We can’t always rely on the chance there is a bystander with a cellphone

Privacy (bathroom) would be my guess.

BTW, the comfort food question was from the NY Times project where they asked all candidates* the same set of questions, some serious, some less so. With nine thousand candidates, it is interesting to see how they each answered the same questions.

18 Questions. 21 Democrats. Here’s What They Said.

*except for the one that turned them down, Biden. I hope we get an inside look into his campaign strategy at some point in the future.

Interesting to see this avalanche of information suddenly being reported on Joe Biden.

Were members of the media hibernating between 2008 - 2016???

I just can't put my finger on it... perhaps we can retain some of the investigative sleuths on the Tunnels Left to get to the bottom of this mystery???

Ok, so for good cause it would be ok?

I hope so.

One of the reasons IMO congress has become increasingly impotent (and we’ve become perilously dependent on executive power) is the hyperpartisan posturing of mostly Pubs in recent years. I hope the Dems can avoid mimicry of this, as possible.

Not much the Dems can do about avoiding the Pubs being hyperpartisan.

Interesting to see this avalanche of information suddenly being reported on Joe Biden.

I just can't put my finger on it... perhaps we can retain some of the investigative sleuths on the Tunnels Left to get to the bottom of this mystery???

yeah, we know that conservatives are bad at journalism

Yeah, where was the time-travelling media when Biden mentioned racist dixiecrats in 2019 back in 2008? And the made up Biden Ukraine story -- why the hell didn't the time travelling media travel from 2008 to 2016 so they could look at Don Jr.'s tweets about that fake story? Maybe Biff would know and he could get us that sports magazine that lists the scores of all professional sports games and we can go back in time and get rich.

You do know that Fox News was around then too, right, and just as fucking hacky?

Back