• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

He lost by 3-4 million votes.

And here we are 4 years later and the centrist candidate leads the polls again.

If bold progressive economic ideas were winners, then they would win in the primary.

So you're declaring the race over? Good to know.

Biden doesn't have near the entry edge over the field that Hillary had over Bernie in 2016. I pray this time it won't last

We're fucked. The party is run by ChrisLs. "Time for something new!" they say running the same shit that keeps losing. Keep courting those Reagan Dems and Southern Dems, for sure, that's the way to go.

Don't overthink it. GOTV, pick the candidate who the majority of the country agrees with the platform, forget what you think you know about electability.

you're blaming the leadership for the behavior of the voters, friend

you're blaming the leadership for the behavior of the voters, friend

So who the party likes doesn't matter?

They don't throw their influence behind candidates? Get them to sign pledges about helping other candidates and dropping out of the race when the time comes? Funding money into travel and campaign swag? Feeding debate questions to candidates? Align PAC resources? Handle press?

The amount of excuses that comes out of the progressive wing about why the ideas they have convinced themselves are overwhelming popular can't drive people to the polls are endless. Feeds right into the conspiracy theories.

We're fucked. The party is run by ChrisLs. "Time for something new!" they say running the same shit that keeps losing. Keep courting those Reagan Dems and Southern Dems, for sure, that's the way to go.

Don't overthink it. GOTV, pick the candidate who the majority of the country agrees with the platform, forget what you think you know about electability.

THat will be a challenge with this lineup.

So who the party likes doesn't matter?

They don't throw their influence behind candidates? Get them to sign pledges about helping other candidates and dropping out of the race when the time comes? Funding money into travel and campaign swag? Feeding debate questions to candidates? Align PAC resources? Handle press?

a centrist won the popular vote. why is the left so certain a Progressive candidate would bridge the gap?

The amount of excuses that comes out of the progressive wing about why the ideas they have convinced themselves are overwhelming popular can't drive people to the polls are endless. Feeds right into the conspiracy theories.

This requires WAY more evidence, you're basing a lot off Clinton-Sanders. Not a single vote has been cast in this primary. If Biden does pull this off you'll have a much stronger case

Interesting since those two are currently polling by far the best against Trump.

Who does win?

Interesting since those two are currently polling by far the best against Trump.

Who does win?

I'm tired of having to ditch good candidates like Warren because the conservative news nazis recognized them as threats and have focused on destroying them for years.

This country would seriously rather see an old, white, male moron like Biden or Trump be president than a smart, capable woman like Warren or Hillary.

If we're stupid enough to elect Donald Trump to 4 more years, then we fucking deserve it.

Last edited:
If Warren wins the nomination, I won't spend the entire general election season bitching about her. I will support her against Trump.

It seems like a lot of progressives in 2016 really wanted HRC to lose as some sort of validation. I don't get that.

Last edited:
No validation. HRC was way better than Biden is.

Just don't want the same mistakes repeated. It really matters, to me at least

He lost by 3-4 million votes.

And here we are 4 years later and the centrist candidate leads the polls again.

If bold progressive economic ideas were winners, then they would win in the primary.

One centrist candidate leads. Progressives are in the next two slots. Everybody but Biden is clearly more progressive than Hillary or 2008 Obama for that matter.

Some evidence please?

If all you have is Bernie vs. Clinton in the primaries -- and oh by the way Bernie won Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota -- at this point in the race he was down FIFTY points to her in the polls, given the absurd name recognition disparity. Ten months later he was down one whole point.

People's conservatism differs when you're talking about economic and social issues. The Dems have spent the last decade running on being very liberal socially but not at all economically, and it has failed them, time after time. It's well past time to run liberally economically.

If that's too much for you and you'd rather stomach a second Trump administration, well, that's up to you

The Dem party has been a mix of economic centrists and economic progressives, most all of whom are socially liberal for some time now. However, your assertion that economic centrist have failed time after time is incorrect historically. Over the last 50 years, 3 Dems who were more from the economic progressive wing of the party have secured the nomination: McGovern, Mondale and Dukakis. And they each got trounced. Economic centrist Dems are 5-4 over that same period in the EC, and 7-2 in the popular vote. And if you look at the results of the 2018 midterms, the Dems picked up 42 seats in the house. The vast majority of these pick-ups were in purple or reddish purple districts by more centrist Dems. Folks like AOC and Omar may get most of the liberal and conservative press, but they won safe blue districts. Take VA as an example. Wexton picked up VA-10 because this district has turned from reddish purple to bluish purple by the population growth in NOVA. Luria picked up VA-2 (R+3), and Spanberger picked up VA-7 (R+6), both of which had been in Pub hands for almost all of the last 20 years. They're both more centrists, Luria being ex military, and Spanberger ex CIA. A more liberal former NPR and NBC reporter ran in my VA-5 (R+6) and lost easily. Just 5 years ago, VA was 8-3 Pub and is now 7-4 Dem thanks to a court invalidating 1 district and 2 blue dogs. So there is your evidence.

And this year, the states we have to win the majority of are: NV, AZ, IA, MI, WI, PA, VA, NC, FL and NH. Not exactly a collection of the most liberal states. I'm not sure at this point who is best poised to beat Trump and don't have a crystal ball. Maybe it is well past time to run liberally economically. But history certainly does not support your thesis. The other thing that worries me next year is I believe the Dem nominee will have to win the popular vote by 5-8 points just to get a narrow EC victory (because Trump is extremely unpopular in blue states, and the Pub majorities are getting closer in large population red states like FL, TX, NC and GA). Trump is committing crimes and shitting on the constitution but still has a decent shot at getting reelected next year.

Back