• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Yeah that's not my definition of progressive. But whatever. Ask yourself why your favorite candidate isn't being considered for endorsement.

No idea. I’m not familiar with them.

I don't think that the ultra-left has a monopoly on the word "progressive" but to each their own

Every single Democrat running is ultra progressive when you compare them with republicans. So it’s just the degree of ultra that we are talking about

Need to get paternity leave, better maternity leave (really just better paid family leave in general) before messing with the huge issue of excessive hours. But it is interesting that our labor is so far out of whack compared to other similar Western countries.

I have heard such protestation
Every day for twenty years.
Lets have no more explanations,
Save your breath and save your tears
"Honest work. Just reward. That's the way to please the Lord."

I don't think that the ultra-left has a monopoly on the word "progressive" but to each their own

I think the first person to use the term "progressive" to run for POTUS was Teddy Roosevelt. For the times, he was more progressive than anyone who seriously ran since. He broke up monopolies/trusts, created the national park system, promoted conservation, tried to develop a national health system, supported mine workers' unions when they struck and much more.

Excellent piece prompted partly by the Harris-Biden exchanges on busing history in the first debate: It Was Never About Busing
Court-ordered desegregation worked. But white racism made it hard to accept.

A few highlights:

1. Forced busing was reasonably successful as a tool of racial desegregation.

2. The problems of racial segregation and the resistance to busing/integration was hardly exclusively a southern one.

3. The example of CLT (successful integration and then regression into segregation) highlighted is interesting (IMO).

4. Biden indeed seems to have "flipped" from favoring efforts at desegregation to not supporting the same (via busing plans) when it became politically necessary or expedient. Even if he may have done so reluctantly.

5. We generally need a federal government system that will help us to collectively bend more towards a just society by establishing and enforcing just law(s).

Last edited:
That article isn’t about the religious middle. The religious middle is black, Latino, Asian, and other minority Christians, Muslims, and other faiths. That article is about white not quite evangelicals who are “troubled” by Trump. Hedging on abortion to appease them will lose more votes than it would gain. I don’t think they’re honestly considering voting for Democrats. They’ll say they’ll vote Democrat but on Election Day, they’ll head to their local church that serves as a polling place and think one last time and vote for Trump.

Anyone undecided on Trump at this point is deciding between Trump and not voting at all. Pursuing them risks losing people deciding between voting Dem or not voting at all.

Last edited:
Seems Rev. Harkins has a lot of work to do.

Not really. I run in a lot of very liberal circles in work, personal life, and online. I don't see this hostility toward religious people that evangelicals claim exist. I see hostility toward people who try to force their beliefs on other people. I see hostility toward people who use religion to justify their hate. I only see respect for people's personally held beliefs.

Now if you're saying Harkins' work is to convince people who have a persecution complex that they're not on the cross like Jesus, yeah. That's a lot of work, but it's work that doesn't really need to be done.

It really is sad how pathetic a lot of conservative evangelicals are. I have several family members who have developed this persecution complex over the last couple years.

You'll find a strong correlation between people who believe the end-times are near, and who believe their faith and values are constantly under attack by some shadow liberal conspiracy.

They sound an awful lot like Branch Davidians, or some other religious cult followers. It is sad.

D_T4NAGU4AAQx4Y.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/opinion/trump-republican-base.html

dems should not try and court this vote with policy, because across the board evangelicals want awful policy

they should GOTV and also focus on passing AVR or make it as easy as possible for people to get to the polls so that top line in the chart more closely mirrors the bottom line

It’s not that difficult to use language that reflects a respect for faith, border security (and immigration reform and compassion/acceptance for this seeking a better life), the desire to keep abortion legal/safe with reasonable restrictions while supporting policies that make it less necessary, etc.

It’s not that difficult to use language that reflects a respect for faith, border security (and immigration reform and compassion/acceptance for this seeking a better life), the desire to keep abortion legal/safe with reasonable restrictions while supporting policies that make it less necessary, etc.

It’s not difficult. In fact Democrats already do that. All evangelicals hear is “cultural genocide!” “War on Christmas!” “Open borders!” “Abortion on demand!”

Back