• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

“They are very unhappy,” Trump told reporters on Monday. “I’m watching them, all they do is complain. All I’m saying, if they want to leave, they can leave.”

He then turned his focus of derision on Rep. Omar, referring to her as “somebody that comes from Somalia.” He continued that Omar is “never happy, says horrible things about Israel, hates Israel, hates Jews.”

“I look at the one, I look at Omar,” Trump said. “I don’t know, I never met her. I hear the way she talks about Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda has killed many Americans.”

He finished, “They can leave, and you know what? I’m sure there will be many people that want to miss them.”

Trump spoke at length, ultimately claiming that these four congresswomen, “hate our country … with a passion” before oddly lamenting how the “Democrat party” would be making a big political mistake by getting behind these four individuals.

So pick a side already you boomer fucks

This Pelosi “we need to work together” nonsense ain’t it

This Biden “nothing will change” nonsense ain’t it

Yeah if you support trump there’s no coming back, sorry you are a piece of shit too and shouldn’t be appeased. All in on enthusiasms and get out the vote not “moderate” appeasement

The POTUS is calling a seated Representative a terrorist, and Pelosi begs him to work with her.

No, no it’s not begging, it’s just showing a willingness to try to cross the aisle and work with our fellow conservative Americans and it will show independents and possibly even some Republicans that Democrats are reasonable and willing to work to achieve goals that benefit all.

So pick a side already you boomer fucks

This Pelosi “we need to work together” nonsense ain’t it

This Biden “nothing will change” nonsense ain’t it

Yes, we should vote for somebody who gets you excited who won't win.

Yes, we should vote for somebody who gets you excited who won't win.

Love to win elections so nothing can change

let him down but fortunately he was able to cash in on that big letdown, so win win, i guess

Love to win elections so nothing can change

Not supporting medicare-for-all does not mean that nothing's going to change. I just don't understand why you can't get that through your head.

But absolutely nothing is going to change unless the Democrats win the presidency and Senate regarding healthcare even incrementally which is about all that is realistically possible right now. So continue to hold on to your fantasy about the elimination of the health insurance industry and the complete government takeover of healthcare. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Why do you think Biden is the only one who can win?

MHB, what us Bernie’s signature accomplishment in office?

Not supporting medicare-for-all does not mean that nothing's going to change. I just don't understand why you can't get that through your head.

But absolutely nothing is going to change unless the Democrats win the presidency and Senate regarding healthcare even incrementally which is about all that is realistically possible right now. So continue to hold on to your fantasy about the elimination of the health insurance industry and the complete government takeover of healthcare. It's not going to happen.

Your guy is out lying about Medicare for all on the campaign trail.

ah yes why try

https://www.peoplespolicyproject.or...-system-will-kill-125000-through-uninsurance/

There is much to quibble with in Biden’s plan.

If individuals in non-Medicaid-expansion states can enroll in the public option for free, then won’t every state repeal their Medicaid expansion to save state money? I suppose that’s fine depending on how good the public option is, but is that really the intended goal?

More generally, Biden’s plan has the same problem as any other plan that does not create a national health insurance system: it causes enormous amounts of insurance churn and instability, further immiserating people when they face hardships like loss of job, loss of spouse, loss of Medicaid due to income increase, and every other negative life event.

The most remarkable thing about Biden’s plan is that it does not even aim to provide universal insurance coverage. The more moderate wing of the Democratic party has mostly been putting out plans that purport to achieve universal coverage (e.g. through auto-enrollment mechanisms) without national health insurance. But Biden is literally doubling down on “preserving Obamacare” by preserving a class of uninsured people.

His campaign claims that the plan will leave around 3 percent of Americans uninsured. These sorts of estimates should be taken with a grain of salt as it is very uncertain how people will respond to the reforms. For instance, the CBO initially estimated that 22 million Americans would sign up for insurance on the Obamacare exchanges, but only half that many actually did.

Even if you suppose that Biden’s estimate is right and the uninsurance rate does go to 3 percent, that still implies an enormous amount of unnecessary death caused by a lack of insurance. One commonly-used (e.g. by CAP) estimate states that 1 unnecessary death occurs annually for every 830 uninsured people. This means that during the first 10 years of Bidencare, over 125,000 unnecessary deaths will occur from uninsurance.

Townie, forgive me if you covered this, but who do you think should be the Democratic nominee to take on Trump?

Townie, forgive me if you covered this, but who do you think should be the Democratic nominee to take on Trump?

I'm camp Anyone But Biden. I don't like his record, I don't like what he's currently campaigning on.

Since I'm not an election expert, I don't like trying to predict electability, and I think polls have shown to be misleading on candidates. I think Dem primary voters should choose the candidate they like the best, who best represents their political ideas or best interests, rather than focusing on who they think can beat Trump.

I'm not supporting or favoring Biden.

But his plan represents positive change, if it could be effected.

Sort of a clickbait headline, but a different analysis that above: Joe Biden proposes radical leftist health-care plan

The 2020 Democratic presidential primary campaign is in many ways an argument between liberals and moderates over the path the Democratic Party should take, and on no issue has that argument been more intense than health care. Joe Biden has now released his health care plan, and while he’s presenting it as a rebuke of the more liberal candidates, in fact it represents a significant move to the left.

That’s not how he’s talking about it. The video Biden put out with the release of his plan was a direct attack on other Democrats for their crazy liberal ideas and their betrayal of Barack Obama. Here’s part of what he said:

“I understand the appeal of Medicare For All. But folks supporting it should be clear that it means getting rid of Obamacare. I’m not for that ... I knew the Republicans would do everything in their power to repeal Obamacare. They still are. But I’m surprised that so many Democrats are running on getting rid of it.”

Now let’s look at what Biden actually proposes. Here are the basics:

Create a public option “like Medicare” that would be open to anyone, including those who currently have insurance through their employer.

In Republican states that refused to expand Medicaid, allow all eligible people to get the new public option for free.

Automatically enroll low-income people in Medicaid or the public option when they interact with the government.

Increase ACA subsidies to make insurance more affordable.

Force drug companies to negotiate prices with Medicare.

There’s more in there on drug prices, abortion coverage, surprise billing and other topics. But overall, this is not just fixing some problems with the ACA; it goes far past it. It’s extremely similar to the Medicare For America Act introduced by Reps. Rosa L. DeLauro (D-Conn.) and Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.).

If you are an advocate of single-payer, you’ll find this too much of a compromise. But that shouldn’t obscure the fact that it’s a much more liberal plan than the ACA, which Biden is talking about as though it’s sacrosanct...

Back