• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

It’s the type of branding that gets people to support stuff. See: the GOP for decades. Who gives a shit about the 100% accuracy if it helps get Trump out of office?

I think this gets at others concerns re: messaging and how the public perceives the question. If you ask people broadly if they love their private health insurance they'll mostly say "meh," and if you ask people if everybody should be insured they broadly say yes.

Looking at the full slide deck it's fairly clear people want an expansion of publicly offered care. There's favorability for a fully nationalized system too, though if compared with keeping private options, that is preferred:

public-opinion-on-singlepayer-national-health-plans-and-expanding-access-to-medicare-coverage-10-1024.jpg

I suppose my problem with incrementalism is if you start with an incremental position you'll get nowhere against today's GOP. If you start with a more radical position, it's more likely you'll get incremental progress in a compromise.

Lol that the GOP will compromise. Mitch "I get to decide what we vote on" and "show me the money" is laughing all the way to the literal bank.

It’s the type of branding that gets people to support stuff. See: the GOP for decades. Who gives a shit about the 100% accuracy if it helps get Trump out of office?

It’s just sad to see centrists adopt this stance like its common knowledge or inevitable, or something.

Republicans convincing Democrats to limit their own limited policy imagination in the name of pragmatism (for whom? relative to what?) is a major ideological victory that I feel like we don’t talk much about on here.

Lol that the GOP will compromise. Mitch "I get to decide what we vote on" and "show me the money" is laughing all the way to the literal bank.

Agree so why stake out a moderate position? Take a popular policy position and make Mitch the bad guy!

Exactly. Democrats rarely get branding right. Now you’ve got Bernie folks complaining because everyone is latching on to his branding and it’s popular.

The thing that bothers me most about centrism is that they basically define themselves by what they think Republicans are willing to do and/or what they think Progressives shouldn’t do. You can’t build a working coalition based on doing less and compromising more unless it’s led by very compelling personalities.

Democrats need a basic platform anyone can run on and anyone can understand. I see things headed in that direction. Democrats are uniting around universal health care, racial justice, gender equality, anti-corruption, and such. Sadly current leadership is unable to move us forward.

It’s just sad to see centrists adopt this stance like its common knowledge or inevitable, or something.

Republicans convincing Democrats to limit their own limited policy imagination in the name of pragmatism (for whom? relative to what?) is a major ideological victory that I feel like we don’t talk much about on here.

Are you calling me a centrist or agreeing with me? I honesty can’t tell from your post.

Exactly. Democrats rarely get branding right. Now you’ve got Bernie folks complaining because everyone is latching on to his branding and it’s popular.

You are describing co-optation and suggesting that I or "Bernie folks" should be happy that democrats latched on to something for political gain while muddying the water on the policy goal.

You are describing co-optation and suggesting that I or "Bernie folks" should be happy that democrats latched on to something for political gain while muddying the water on the policy goal.

He’s not wrong, Ph.

What’s the goal, MHB?

What’s the goal, MHB?

What does medicare for all mean?

A Single Health Program
Everyone will be covered by one health insurance program, administered by the federal government, and have equal access to all medical services and treatments.

Comprehensive Coverage
All services requiring a medical professional will be fully covered. You go to the doctor of your choice. Dental, vision, mental health, and pharmaceuticals are all included.

Free at the point of service
All healthcare costs will be financed through tax contributions based on ability to pay: no copays, no fees, no deductibles and no premiums. Ever.

Universal Coverage
Coverage for all United States residents — non-citizens included.

Jobs
A jobs initiative and severance for those affected by the transition to government-run healthcare.

Laudable goal. How do we accomplish it?

So Bernie, Gabbard, Warren, Booker, Harris, and Gillibrand.

So who are these centrist candidates appropriating M4A?

The analogy is pretty clear. Medicare for All has become a catchall term for universal health care. Don’t be dense.

To the extent that it has, i think that is a result of the disinformation/co-opting from centrist dems. Don't be dense. You know there is a specific policy proposal for Medicare For All. Do you support Medicare for All, the policy?

So Bernie, Gabbard, Warren, Booker, Harris, and Gillibrand.

So who are these centrist candidates appropriating M4A?

I don't know ph, how did you reach the conclusion that medicare for all has become a catchall term for universal healthcare?

You don’t know? Then who have you been talking about? The candidates you listed are getting over half the support in the Dem primary polls. The other top candidates are Biden and Pete. Biden supports patching up ACA and Pete calls his plan “Medicare for All Who Want It.”

Just answer the question. Who are the centrist Dem candidates co-opting M4A?

Back